• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first business window job!

Circleville Signs

I would still choose to do it out of cut vinyl.
Material costs would not exceed $20.00
Extra time (labor) maybe 15 minutes
I would guess you would have at least that much emailing and dealing with the shipping/outsourcing locally.
Before I printed most shops charged somewhere around $30.00-$40.00 for a logo laminated that size and that was 5 years ago.
Even if you have your own printer/laminator the time is close to a wash.

Cut vinyl in my opinion looks better in this case plus the colors would be spot on with the rest of the install (even whites aren't always consistent)
Cut vinyl has depth and just looks sharper. Not to mention this could last 10+ years with a good quality cast vinyl. Any print would be lucky to get half that time depending on inks.

EDIT: Really nice job!!! That is portfolio worthy, a lot better than most can say about their first job.

If you are paying $30-40 for a 20" circle, wholesale, you are crazy. I'm not going to get too into pricing on this side of the forum, but suffice to say the cost to print/lam is drastically lower than the cost to set-up and cut 3 layers of vinyl, then lay it stacked on site. Drastically.

tsgstl

If you are paying $30-40 for a 20" circle, wholesale, you are crazy. I'm not going to get too into pricing on this side of the forum, but suffice to say the cost to print/lam is drastically lower than the cost to set-up and cut 3 layers of vinyl, then lay it stacked on site. Drastically.

Those prices were not wholesale, I used a local signshop for those needs at the time. If someone wanted something like that from me now that is easily the price point I would be at.
Loading up 3 different rolls of vinyl, weeding 3 different colors and applying TO ME outweighs the benefit of a little time saved. The overall cost of production on this job would not force me into outsourcing that logo if I did not have the means to print it. In fact I have the means and would still choose to cut it out of vinyl. That's just me though, to each their own. It's not like if I saw it printed I would roll my eyes.

If you had to print this (keep in mind taking the time to match the colors of cut vinyl perfectly) Let it dry, laminate, contour cut it etc. I really don't think there would be a "drastic" time difference. And if you had to deal with emailing a file, deal with delivery etc. would be similar outcome.

Don't get me wrong our industry is better off in many ways because of printing and wholesalers definitely have their place. IMO this is not one of them.

royster13

Cut vinyl in my opinion looks better in this case plus the colors would be spot on with the rest of the install (even whites aren't always consistent)
Cut vinyl has depth and just looks sharper. Not to mention this could last 10+ years with a good quality cast vinyl. Any print would be lucky to get half that time depending on inks.

I agree.....

Moze

What everyone else already said...it looks really good - nice work. It makes that storefront pop.

skittles

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input!

To answer a couple of things... Yes - maybe someday I'll have things like this printed, but I really needed to learn how to layer, so this was a good learning experience that I needed to go through. Plus, I had trouble with bubbles in the first layer and ended up redoing the whole thing. That would have sucked to have to reorder another whole piece. It was fairly easy to just recut the vinyl and do it over. Luckily, the second install of the logo was fine. (Thankfully, the stripes and everything else was fine the first time around.)

As for the city ordinances - yes. It was reviewed by the town and 'okayed' before installation. It is on the outside, but I appreciate the warning about future cities I may have to deal with.

Thanks again! You are all so kind! :)

Last edited:

skittles

I'm so used to Facebook... I keep looking for a 'like' button so I can like all of your comments. lol
THANK YOU again!

MikePro

i'm fan of, rather than layering vinyl, cutting an offset outline of the top-layer into the bottom layer.
then again, i still do it the other way too but I most definately wet-apply. vinyl to vinyl surface adhesion is aggressive as heck.