• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first crowd source attempt

Vinylman

Talk about raping the system. Hundreds of various designs on just this one idea, and not a penny paid to these designers? The only ones that win in a system like this are the company behind the original concept of work for free sites, the end recipient of the design [provided there is even one], and the so called winner of the contest.
Ya! they get a Mac book PRO [worth perhaps $1700 US] for what conservatively should be a $5000 job.
And our industry gets a few feet closer to oblivion because no one can charge what good design is worth due to bullpuckey like this site.

CanuckSigns

Talk about raping the system. Hundreds of various designs on just this one idea, and not a penny paid to these designers? The only ones that win in a system like this are the company behind the original concept of work for free sites, the end recipient of the design [provided there is even one], and the so called winner of the contest.
Ya! they get a Mac book PRO [worth perhaps $1700 US] for what conservatively should be a $5000 job.
And our industry gets a few feet closer to oblivion because no one can charge what good design is worth due to bullpuckey like this site.

:goodpost:

On a side note, your design is one of the best of the ones I saw.

It looks like a lot of the designers are from India and Sri Lanka, which I can understand, offering a prize of even $1700 USD to someone living in poverty in India is going to draw a lot of attention, and I don't think they are going to care that they are ruining the market for us over here.

ucmj22

... how is this any different from a corel draw competition where corel gets all the PR and only awards a few small prizes, while the rest of the designers get nothing. you know what, forget I asked.

Fred, feel free to lock down this thread and let it fall in to oblivion.

genericname

^ + 1,000!

And while you're at it, check this out ... should be Chapter 1 in Signs 101 :)

http://www.no-spec.com/

And to add "insult to injury" .... http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...igners-to-work-unpaid-on-jobs-poster-20111019

THANK YOU! Spec is bad, m'kay?

Lol, I think companies that crowd source are pretty pathetic,... But I could use a macbookpro :)

And therein lies the problem. "Everyone else who does it is participating in a race to the bottom, but I really need such and such shiny thing!"

signswi

... how is this any different from a corel draw competition where corel gets all the PR and only awards a few small prizes, while the rest of the designers get nothing. you know what, forget I asked.

Fred, feel free to lock down this thread and let it fall in to oblivion.

It's not, designers shouldn't participate in spec work for industry either.

NO SPEC

genericname

Totally not a judgement of your character, by the way.

We're all tempted from time to time, and some areas are more grey than others, but yeah, we really should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Joe Diaz

There is a huge difference. The difference is one can submit any design they want into a contest like that...you could have sent in designs that have absolutely nothing to do with Corel if you felt like it. I submitted several designs in the CorelDraw contest. All but one of those were designs I created for a previous paying client.

Corel wasn't crowd sourcing their business brand, which is what I object to. They hire and pay real designers to do that work. I don't like an environment where there is no verbal interaction between the client and the designer, where the client sets the terms, guidelines, your designs worth ,and design process. I don't like seeing one designer create an idea that 12 more competing designers "adopt" and the one with the original idea gains nothing.

I like this one: http://www.talenthouse.com/creativeinvites/preview/a59babdf3afe07b4cc74162b1256e0e1/345

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Entering a contest to win a prize is fine... strip mining ideas for your own gain on the backs of designers is not.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
... by the way, I had a look at the competition. Your logo, as good as it is, is way down on the bottom, and there is a lot of crap between you and the top logo (which is marginal at best). Have some pride man.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

I am not content to let things lay as they are. If there's anything to be done about abating crowd-sourcing, then surely one thing would be is to taint the input. I voted for this one.

heh, heh...

Now, if everyone did, then eventually, those seeking value through crowdsourcing might begin to realize it's not worth it -- that the public can't be trusted to provide worthwhile feedback (which I don't think they can, anyways, but that's another discussion). Deliberately skewing the feedback towards the garbage end of the spectrum can only help to hasten the demise of crowdsourcing. My theory, anyway.