• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Billboard design feed back ASAP!!

HulkSmash

Only my opinion, but people only read what they're interested in or the easiest thing around to read. Anything else is gonna be lost.

I think you're giving Joe PublicK too much credit for understanding your thinking process and for the most art, your advertisement is gonna be lost on the vast majority.

If you want to sell a restaurant on a wrap.... you don't tell people to come here and let us do your cooking while you wait. You find one or two of the most familiar items on your menu and let the pictures and the words luscious, scrumptious or mouth-watering do your work for you. You make eye appeal. You only have between 2 and 3 seconds for the average person to comprehend your whole message and digest it [pun intended].

You're not going to say for a succulent hot steak, cum to me and we'll get it on for you in our kitchen. Too much gets lost in the translation and the mind's eye moves onto a more pleasant billboard or watch the car in front cutting you off.

Remember K.I.S.S.

We're always so into what we want to convey and be clever, that we sometimes forget to step outside of out bodies and treat it like a common person, who doesn't know the catch phrases or the trade lingo. You're not trying to be neat to your friends... you're trying to cultivate the many who aren't using you, yet. Be patient and cultivate your potential clients..... it'll pay off.

If you're doing this billboard campaign, I'd run some radio spots along with some clipper ads or newspaper advertisements at the same time and use some of your catchy thoughts there and enforce them with name and reputation repetition.

Good points. Do you think my most recent one is too wordy still?

i only have a few words on them.

tsgstl

I like the new ones better, but there is something about having a actual wrap on there. Kind of looks like a Beer ad and at least in the Midwest not everyone knows what a wrap is.

HulkSmash

so, after much thought, and advice.. i decided to scrap the wrapped vehicle on there. Last thing i want is people think i want to wrap their cars in my Advertisement. So rather then show it, i wanted to get my branding on there.

Speedsterbeast

I think you are losing the irony of the ad of the "Don't waste money on a billboard" without a picture of your wrapped vehicle. It is way too confusing. Trust me on this. You may have been too close to the creative process to see, but you cannot have that text without the picture of your van.
And if you remember, I was the biggest fan of the idea. I really hope you go with it.

qmr55

How about something a little more simple? Just a rough sketch...

Attachments

• no2.jpg
    no2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 93
  • no1.jpg
    no1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 96

Techman

Way too much stuff on the panel. too busy,, and the eye is not lead to a call to action.

The rule of thumb for billboards

7 words max. A picture and a phone number..

That's it. No one reads a board. They glance at them only for a brief look.

A billboard is for non specific ads. It is for the mind and is only to put your image into the community. And calls to action. Very brief message.

Vehicle Wraps

CAll now

800 XXX-XXX

tsgstl

Not sure I can describe what I'm thinking.
I see stuff on top of some of your designs and I think you mentioned something about it. I'm assuming it's a added piece to the actual billboard?
What if you had the billboard being pulled off as a wrap. Like you really only see the front of a vehicle coming off the top right of the billboard. Then the bottom right would be exposed framing of the actual billboard structure (exposed metal framing or even wood 2"x4"s) your logo real big, "drive away with your billboard" or something like that. Your info at the bottom like you got. I'm not talking taking up to much space, just part of the right. Big enough to understand what you are trying to convey with your text. I'd draft it but it would be a b1tch to look right.

qmr55

I don't like the peeling wrap idea, do you want your clients to think your wraps are going to peel off?

Dan Antonelli

You are running black main copy on dark blue background and hoping your white outline is going to salvage your legibility. It won't. You will have a hard enough time reading 'Colorado', let alone 'SIGNS & WRAPS'.

Try the design with no effects, outlines, or grunge. 7 words or less. Web addy only, no phone. Very simple message like 'Our wraps get your business noticed' + Web addy.

Slam it in a Gotham Ultra, vary your font weights creatively, and you're done. No photo, just type.

Simple is good. Trust in simple.

Tiki

Font Sage
Try using a dark panel to separate whatever copy you're going to use

Attachments

• 1aaa.jpg
    1aaa.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 101

tsgstl

Everybody knows and every study proves less/clear is positively the way to go.

Making more money and the bottom line is absolutely the smartest decision. But sometimes emotion ego and pride get in the way of choosing A or B. Would he make more money having the most visible font with the least amount of letters for the brain to compute at 70mph? Yes
Can he make something that will express his creativity and craftsmanship and still profit from it? Yes, maybe not as much but yes.
Part of me is glad that every sign I drive buy on the highway is not just simple. Maybe I don't remember it but it's more exciting.

HulkSmash

Thanks for the solid advice everyone. I'll refine it in the morning.

Tiki and dan, great suggestions - ill keep working on it

HulkSmash

ok, i took advice from everyone and threw it into one.
I got a 1800 number, so i really want to incorporate that into the ad.

thanks.

Attachments

• BILL2_FINAL.jpg
    BILL2_FINAL.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 81