• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help on changing color for a brick wall.

klingsdesigns

I have a customer that is looking to change the coloring on brick walls where they bump out. They dont want to paint them. The walls are really rough and not level at all. They are thinking of attaching some kind of substrate to them. They said they didnt mind drilling into the brick.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• brick.JPG
    brick.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 48
  • colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 87
You could wrap the brick. It will keep all the same texture just a different color. I think the problem with putting a substrate on it will be all the little pieces that stick out further than others. You will have to build a frame of some type that is level and gives you something to attach the substrate to. But in my opinion, I would wrap it.

klingsdesigns

You could wrap the brick. It will keep all the same texture just a different color. I think the problem with putting a substrate on it will be all the little pieces that stick out further than others. You will have to build a frame of some type that is level and gives you something to attach the substrate to. But in my opinion, I would wrap it.

What material would you best recommend for wrapping. Its extremely rough and not level at all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There was a member on here a week or so ago who had some really nice approaches to walls and other things of that nature. His deal was etching on plexi or something similar. His thread can't be too far buried at this point. You might consider this technique as it looks like it would work quite well, looking at the other stuff in that area.

Billct2

They could probably be boxed in. Run a 2x up the sides and have it long enough to clear the face then screw the panels over that.It will take some shimming to get the 2x level but that can all be hidden by the panel. You may have to custom cut where the side panels meet the wall depending on how bad the gaps are. Why do they want to do this? Most place s like brick. I think wrapping it would work and keep the texture but it would have to be cleaned pretty well.

d fleming

1/4 sheetrock and then whatever flips your switch. Can always remove the rock later to show off that very nice brick wall.

klingsdesigns

They could probably be boxed in. Run a 2x up the sides and have it long enough to clear the face then screw the panels over that.It will take some shimming to get the 2x level but that can all be hidden by the panel. You may have to custom cut where the side panels meet the wall depending on how bad the gaps are. Why do they want to do this? Most place s like brick. I think wrapping it would work and keep the texture but it would have to be cleaned pretty well.

They want to dress up the place its a advertising place.

Billct2

If it's mostly a "cosmetic" thing for advertising space it may be possible to just build a U Shaped column that hides it and only has to be attached at top, bottom and a few in between. That way there's little permanent change.

Rocco G

Maybe try texture plus panels? They have bamboo, stacked stone, brick (which of course you wouldn't want), lots of things. IIRC it's textureplus.com but I'm sure a search will find them. We've used them for pole covers for freestanding signs, etc.

If you want something smooth, how about aluminum or ACM panels, bent to fit the bumpouts? They could post prints, samples, etc.

Or you could...aggg, so many choices! Get their budget first. No sense proposing a $5K project when they only want to spend $250.00.

klingsdesigns

UPDATE

This is what I got from the customer. Budget under $900

Just a recap on the project, we need 5 pieces, each one a different color (probably painted?). They will need to be affixed to brick. The dimensions are:

4 pieces that are 14' tall x 3.5" wide
1 piece that is 14' tall x 6" wide

TimToad

UPDATE

Just a recap on the project, we need 5 pieces, each one a different color (probably painted?). They will need to be affixed to brick. The dimensions are:

My basic math came up with about 280 square feet of area to cover to start with. That's $3.00 per square foot just to make up the "panels". That's nearly 9 sheets of some kind of material. Then there's putting the color on them somehow. Even with just house paint, you'd probably be a couple gallons into it. Then there is framing the wall out to hold the panels. Then there is the work to actually hang the panels.

I'd say their budget is more than a bit shy unless you are in the charitable giving mood this time of year.

SignManiac

If it's mostly a "cosmetic" thing for advertising space it may be possible to just build a U Shaped column that hides it and only has to be attached at top, bottom and a few in between. That way there's little permanent change.

This is exactly what I would do!

reserv0ird0g

Mac Tac makes a PSV for concrete and asphalt called Street RAP. We've had some success with concrete block and brick walls with it. It's has an extremely aggressive adhesive.

Rocco G

UPDATE

With that budget maybe get some 48" cheap vinyl and hang it from curtain rods? Fellers will sell it by the yard so you could have different colors.

You could get digitally printed banners for ~$1.75/sq ft but you have to design them, install them, warrant them, etc. Would you really make any $?