• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need logo help, please

Jillbeans

In all honesty, I do like John's and Tiki's better.
I just can't get past the serpentine on the ones you posted. The shield one is OK but the typography looks weak to me, the effects stand out more than the words.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Since they are the Patriots, what about a silhouette of the flag bearer leading the charge. Holding the stick instead of the flag. Probably cropped to just the important parts.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-07 at 10.24.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-03-07 at 10.24.31 AM.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 99

WI

For what it's worth, this is the first design I came up for him, thinking it was just for helmet decals. Then I found out that it had to be embroidered. It's tough coming up with something simple enough to be embroidered and that expresses lacrosse.

You were sitting on this the entire time? Seriously? This is really good. You second guess yourself too much. Have someone you know and trust smack you in the back of the head for me.

For the embroidering just use the arched banner w/ "PATRIOTS" on it. Big franchises always have a simplified version of their mark that they can use in places where materials or available space keep you from using the full-on logo. Problem solved, and now you get to mark up a whole lot of jerseys. ;)

GoodPeopleFlags

John, I really love the bottom one you did up there. Well, I love all of them but I think the bottom one has the simplicity he wants. It's what I wanted to be creative enough to come up with!
:notworthy:

WildWestDesigns

The big problem with John's revision for sewing is the small font. Scaling it for a logo crest hoop (100mm x 100mm) it comes out to .09", most fonts need to be at or above .2". You do have a couple of block font's (thankfully that one is) that run at .15", but the copy would then be too long for standard logo crest hoops (at least the smaller standard logo crest hoops).

Depending on what machine is being use, the design can't go bigger than 3.9" (have to account for a margin due to the presser foot) or you have some that can handle 4.25" (but that's the biggest).

Also with John's the "grid iron" mask can present some issue to some machines out there. Embroidery machines have a minimum stitch width (for satin stitches) that is different and that's what creates problems for the smaller detail work. Now you can use extra needle penetrations to get the smaller detail work without running more thread, I've done that on some designs, however, for something like this, it would be lost. It's better if it's used not to add objects, but to define the object that it's on. The toreador stitch out is one that I used that on for the cape and the toreador. It cuts down on the total objects that have to be stitched out, but gives the definition of the objects.

Now Tiki's is a little bit better, but I did circle some areas that you can run risk of being lost in embroidery. Again this would depend on the machine that it's going on.

I also tend not to outline letters for embroidery. The look better on a logo crest size not to be outlined. Let alone 2 or 3 outlines with decreasing width. Might look good in print, but it can be a pain in embroidery. About the only time that I advocate outlining text is when it's big enough that the letters themselves have to be a fill stitch. You can use the outlining satin stitch to help hide the rough edges of the fill and help "seal" those stitches as well.

There is a fine line on what you can do in embroidery. The biggest thing is the minimums. Thread, needle, machine itself all have their minimums that you don't find with ink. You would be amazed at what detail you can get in such a small space, if you understand the minimums. Unfortunately, not only are brands different (with the exception of the biggest stitch width a satin can do without either adding more stitches or making it a fill stitch; you do have a few machines that share that characteristic), but you can also get differences among the same model.

Simple though is going to be far better for corporate work. If you do effects in a corporate design, make sure that they are simple effects. Blends can be done, stuff like that. You just have to be more aware of what the machines can or can't do if you going to do effects.

If you do a bunch of effects or a very detailed design, please, whatever else you do supply a simplified design or make sure that you tell them that there might need to be changes for embroidery. Some people just don't get the fact that works well in ink may not work well in thread and some think that the embroiderer is unable to do their job.

Attachments

• John's.jpg
    John's.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Tiki's.jpg
    Tiki's.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Toreador.jpg
    Toreador.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 87

WildWestDesigns

take all the detailing out and that could work. just un-Photoshop it

I found a better example of what I was talking about. This was one that I did for a member here a few weeks ago. I attached both the artwork they sent me and the stitch out of the file that I did for them.

The majority of the detail of the star is done with extra needle penetrations, so there aren't as many individual objects as one might think looking at it. More detail can translate to embroidery then one might think, but it's knowing what the limitations are for this type of production. Simple is best, but only thinking simple is also kind of limiting as well.

Oh, the copy: "COUNTY OF DARE", and "NORTH CAROLINA" are at that .15" minimum. That's pretty small, but you really don't want to go smaller than that.

Attachments

• Star-Stitch-Out.png
    Star-Stitch-Out.png
    695.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Sheriff-Star.png
    Sheriff-Star.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 119

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
W-west it looks like you need a few more tool bars on the screen there.......

wayne k
guam usa

WildWestDesigns

W-west it looks like you need a few more tool bars on the screen there.......

wayne k
guam usa

Ha, I usually have a couple more on the screen as well (sequins and bling), but those actually go out too far, so I only leave those out when a design calls for those.

It does have a lot more then those as well.

pixworx

impressed...

I was impressed w/ how people's creative gene is bumping... no wonder nowadays client is giving idea and leading direction how to design a logo... no offense but just pointing a scenario.

Having said that, it's a really good forum section to have logo comments...free.