• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need supplier for thin VHB tape

I'm looking to buy some of the thin VHB tape like the stuff that Gemini uses for interior wall mounted acrylic. The VHB we typically use is 45 mil, and Grimco only carries 45 mil and 40 mil thicknesses. Does anyone know who might carry the thinner stuff? The VHB that Gemini uses appears to be about 20-25 mil. I hope it's something that's readily available and isn't just something proprietary to Gemini. I greatly appreciate any leads. Thank you in advance.

see what 3M has

3M VHB is preferably what I'm looking for, although I'd be open to suggestions for a similar Oratape product. The problem is, VHB tapes don't have the item code on the release liner, so as much as I'd like to just go to the 3M site and search through their VHB products, they have too many offerings and choosing the correct product can be confusing. I'm hoping someone out there knows which tape I need and has a supplier that carries the thinner 20-25 mil version. I'm guessing 4941 is the correct type of tape, but I'd like some reassurance from others, if possible.

henryz

Order a few different sample rolls from Amazon and see which works the best for your application. We typically use 2 different ones the white 40 mil not sure the series and the clear which is about 25 mil and we do get from Nglantz.

They have 4941 as well, it's .045 thick.

As I mentioned, I'm looking for .025".

As I mentioned, I'm looking for .025".

Order a few different sample rolls from Amazon and see which works the best for your application. We typically use 2 different ones the white 40 mil not sure the series and the clear which is about 25 mil and we do get from Nglantz.

I already know which works best for my application, the same tape that Gemini uses. That's what I'm after, but I need the stuff that's .025" thickness.

I'm waiting on a call from one of the 3M VHB tech guys so hopefully he can confirm that the 4941 is the type that I need and can let me know a vendor for it. If not, I may just call Gemini and see if they'll be willing to tell me. I'm doing an application on a wall/surface with a very slight curvature, or I would have just had Gemini include the VHB tape mounts with my order. I want to order my own so I have control over where the tape is placed on each letter. I'm applying 6" tall 1/2" thick acrylic letters to a relatively smooth veneered surface. The letters are heavy, so white foam tapes and clear tapes will not suffice. I need the gray type that Gemini uses, without exception, unless Orafol makes a tape that is comparable.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Innotec in Wisconsin sells a variety of vhb tapes. But for what you are doing, I would recommend a thicker vhb tape. I would think you would want the extra thickness because of the curve. It's not like 0.5in acrylic is going to flex with the curve. Double it up with lexell and those letters won't go anywhere

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
go on 3M's web site to find the # you want, If I remember right the first 2 numbers are the tape type and the last 2 have to do with the thickness. Then, use amazon. Along time ago we used to use R.S Hughs for the cheapest prices.

Innotec in Wisconsin sells a variety of vhb tapes. But for what you are doing, I would recommend a thicker vhb tape. I would think you would want the extra thickness because of the curve. It's not like 0.5in acrylic is going to flex with the curve. Double it up with lexell and those letters won't go anywhere

I had debated on adding Lexel, but the curvature is very slight at about 4" of curvature in a 8' wide section. I agree on the thickess and I may use the .045" tape that we keep in stock in combination with the .025" tape, as needed.

CanuckSigns

Call Gemini and ask them, they will most likely tell you, if they ask why, tell them you are quoting on a job and the architect want to know exactly what fastener is being used, it's not some big proprietary secret.