• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need to run HP system recovery on used hp computer, but can't log in as administrator

iSign

I got a decent HP media center pc at an auction today, & it runs real well logged in as a guest, but the former owner had a password that I don't have for logging in as administrator.

The D drive has the recovery files, but my web searching tells me to go to start menu>PC tools>HP system recovery which I did, but then I get a message that I am not logged in with authorization to run the recovery.

Does anyone know how to do this?

SignBurst PCs

I believe that some HP computers can be re-imaged by pressing a "function" button (F10) during the POST portion of startup.

iSign

You may want to reformat anyway. Then you can set the system up anyway you like and start clean.

Thanks Joe. That would be done by putting an operating system disc in & then booting up right? and then from there choosing to reformat?

I thought about that, but I think I will just sell this computer, and it probably can be restored to include some bundled software that may be appreciated by the next owner, as well as functioning drivers for the various drives, card readers etc... so I thought the system recovery might be easiest to try first.

Casey, I will give that a try.

SignBurst PCs

If you can use the F10 method, it will restore it back to it's original configuration as it was when it was originally purchased (reformat included).

J Hill Designs

ya - heres the 'structions

Use the following steps to perform a recovery from the hard drive :

Backup files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.
Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.
Turn on the computer.
Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a standard system recovery, click Next , and then click Yes .
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced , (select Destructive Recovery ) and then click Next .
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer .
Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours, depending on the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop).
Before using your computer, update and protect your computer. For more information, refer to Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .
9. Reinstall applications that you added after purchasing the PC, and any files you need from backup.

from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145

Techman

Get a admin password utility. Run it and yer done. Resets the password to the default. Saves you lots of work and time. They all over the web some are free.

iSign

thanks Tech. I want to reformat anyway, so in this case i think the time invested will be worthwhile, but if i didn't want to, then for sure it would be good not to have to.

veloxgraphics

download chntpw and burn the image to a cd. Reboot the machine and boot to the CD. It will load up a trimmed down version of linux, and will walk you through resetting the admin password.

Takes about 10 min if you've never done it before... 3 min if you have :)