• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need your imput, please...

Richard Flint

My advice to anyone just starting out.....study and read all you can about layout and design first. I would recommend a copy of "Mastering Layout" by Mike Stevens.

D&Tgraphics

OUCH!!!! That second one is not working either. I agree with the above.
1. Create a logo
2. Study up on design & layout
3. Simplify

WoW

my advice would be to start from scratch

invest in yourself and study design, there are many books on the subject if you are not willing to take classes and work your way through the ranks from bottom to top in the design industry. (which would be the recommended path)

always design in black and white first, if it does not look good in black and white..color and effects will not save it

if you are already in business hire a designer

Jillbeans

I suggest getting the Mike Stevens Mastering Layout book.
Even though your newest idea is much less cluttered it is far from simple.
Too much script too much casual and nobody but sign folks will "get" the vynull rolls.
I would go with a classy look, as the name sounds upscale. Who do you want to bring in as clients, yuppies wanting to spend $$ or hoopies wanting something for nothing?
Love....Jill

TheSnowman

Yea, that's a little rough on the eyes. Unless you are going for an early 90's cartoon effect. And like Lance said, the average customer won't realize those are rolls of vinyl. I work w/ the stuff everyday, and I didn't realize it.

ocean502

Thank you, Thank you!! I have layout and color books you recommended coming. I live in a very "country" town that is growing. Lots of self employeed, lots of signs, banners, vehicle lettering. AND NO SIGN SHOP! I have been doing a two color coupon book in town, so color is definitely is something I have to learn, and sign layout. I spend hours watching tutorials, I know I can pull a sign shop off. Just getting there will be a challenge I am willing to tackle. Do you think a water tower in the background, that matches our towns water tower, would be to rednecky? Maybe the name on the water tower? Please excuse my inexperience. I really appreciate all your comments...

Jillbeans

I always loved the water tower in the Letterville layout, but it is used as a background element.
Hope it's OK to post this pic.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• newbblogo.jpg
    newbblogo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 67

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With your own admission of being inexperienced, don’t you think you should learn a few things about the trade before you go and open a sign shop that can’t produce signs ?? The part about watching tutorials and ‘I know I can pull a sign shop off’… scares me just a tad.

If you don’t have a talent for drawing or lettering by hand….. getting what you see with your eyeballs down to the paper is going to be a tough road for you if you don’t learn the ropes first. Being out in ‘NoWheresVille’ might be a hindrance, but you owe it to your future clients to learn all you can about the craft you intend to make your profession. You don’t want to invest in all kinds of equipment, materials and time and flop in the first few weeks. You won’t be able to run a shop by using the internet for a correspondence course either. Try learning your desired skill first and then going out and performing….. kinda like, I’ll go buy an 800lbs set of weights and start lifting it because I saw others do it. You need to find out how to do it properly, gradually work yourself up and keep practicing until you become ready to compete.

Just because it’s ‘Easy Pickens’ now…. doesn’t mean you’re ready to open a shop.

Welcome from PA and Good Luck..............

ocean502

I guess my comment about living in the country, is that most of my clients wont necessarily be interested in high tech graphics. The sign I am creating for myself, is not the sign I would expect a back hoe operator to want. Do you think I need to be proficient in drawing or hand lettering to create a sign? Can't I start off with some basic signs, and then become better at graphic art?

gnemmas

Yes you can start off with basic and improve as you go. When I looked at jobs I did 22 years ago with Gerber 4b, all primary colors, helvetica font, but reads better than your fancy, colorful layouts so far.

One principle point still held true for the signs come out here (I don't design anymore) is: make sure the clients' message get conveyed loud & clear.

One quick way to improve is by imitating, from books, observation of others' works.

Good luck, with your good attitude shown here, you'll do fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you’re referring to my comments…. I’m just answering in the manner of how I feel about this industry.

Of course you can do anything you want in any method you want. With the attitude you’re displaying, you’re already dummy-ing your clients down and almost talking yourself out of a job. I’ve never heard of an area that will buy simple because the store they want to purchase from only offers simple. Sure, if they don’t know any better and you have a captive audience this might happen, but you found this site and within a few days you’ll probably marvel as you look around the photo gallery and other places. Well, your potential clients have been doing this for years…. or there wouldn’t be a need in your little town for you to open your doors. :wink:

No, you don’t have to be proficient in drawing or hand lettering to get ahead anymore in this business, but it sure helps. For those that can’t, they should learn how before they put themselves out of business.

again….. Good Luck…………

Jillbeans

Can't I start off with some basic signs, and then become better at graphic art?
You can, but that is putting the cart before the horse. Like buying a car before you learn how to drive it.

Take your enthusiasm and apply it to learning about layout and design. Then learn the biz.
(Pricing, dealing with customers, where to buy materials etc)
Love....Jill

jimdes

Deja vous . . . this sounds like when I was starting out. We all have to take our knocks and somehow, some of us stick around.

Welcome to the jungle.

4R Graphics

Youll get it just take the comments you get from everyone and learn from them. I am still very much a rookie myself so the best advice I can give you is read read read books and as many posts on this forum as you can. I have learned so many things from this forum and am very greatful to everyone here. You will get it but it takes time and one big thing that will help you is have fun dont over think things you will see as you read and play with the software and equipment that it will all start to come together Just be patient and dont give up. Oh and do your self a HUGE favor and read some posts about prices on this forum so you dont hose yourself and the guy down the street that is your competition.

Good luck.