• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Network chip Roland VP540

nucleus

It's not actually a problem with the fan, its with the board. The fan is there to cool down the boards in the back of the printer. All you are doing is heating the boards up ( which is why it works when the printer warms up ) by not having the fan on.

It 'may' work for some people, but the fan is there for a reason. You are better off just replacing the faulty board rather than risk damaging the others by having them overheat
Why does the board heating up fix the problem? is it because there is a loose connection and when it gets warm it expands and connects properly? Thanks in advance.

damonCA21

Why does the board heating up fix the problem? is it because there is a loose connection and when it gets warm it expands and connects properly? Thanks in advance.
Basically yes. If you get a micro thin break in a trace on a board sometimes the heat can make it connect again, but then when the board cools it opens up again. The problem is they are generally impossible to find them to make a proper repair.
However! heating the board can cause more problems as it can cause other components to overheat

netsol

No, roland sold out of them years ago and don't make new ones. There are sellers advertising new boards, but all of these are chinese copies that don't have a great track record of working properly
that's what i thought

that's why i always encourage our members to put a GOOD QUALITY surge protector, PREFERABLY one with RJ45 jack protection. it's bad enough when you pay $2000 for a system board. worse yet when the best you can do is roll the dice eith a used or "refurbished" board.

On the above issue, I WOULD NOT try to plug my printer into a UPS, unless you budget enough funds to buy one of those OVERSIZED 6KW devices, the ups struggles under load, produces a distorted sine wave (YOU CAN HEAR IT, WHEN THE PRINTER CYCLES) & often damages the board. (i keep intending to hook one of myprinters up to a ups and make a video, with an oscilloscope on the output of the ups) so everyone can see what i am talking about.

netsol

modern circuit boards have "feed throughs" plated through holes at MULTIPLE LOCATIONS. the autocad designed boards are made smaller, (it's an autocad function very similar to our "nesting" of print jobs)
many failures are because the modern manufacturing techniqes produce many more potential POINTS OFVFAILURE. as the printer is powered up, reaches operating temperature, and cools again at completion. the board is "flexed" and twisted slightly on it's mounting standoffs.

THIS IS WHY it can be very important to keep fans in good condition and air filters (if there are any) clear.

damonCA21

that's what i thought

that's why i always encourage our members to put a GOOD QUALITY surge protector, PREFERABLY one with RJ45 jack protection. it's bad enough when you pay $2000 for a system board. worse yet when the best you can do is roll the dice eith a used or "refurbished" board.

On the above issue, I WOULD NOT try to plug my printer into a UPS, unless you budget enough funds to buy one of those OVERSIZED 6KW devices, the ups struggles under load, produces a distorted sine wave (YOU CAN HEAR IT, WHEN THE PRINTER CYCLES) & often damages the board. (i keep intending to hook one of myprinters up to a ups and make a video, with an oscilloscope on the output of the ups) so everyone can see what i am talking about.
I would agree, not to mention a lot of less developed countries have very bad mains electrical supply and buildings may not have the best wiring either! It always amazes me how many people plug expensive equipment into bad electrical supplies

netsol

I would agree, not to mention a lot of less developed countries have very bad mains electrical supply and buildings may not have the best wiring either! It always amazes me how many people plug expensive equipment into bad electrical supplies
the US has let their power grid go all to hell.
the people who manage power distribution base decisions on fairy tales, rather than science.
meaning you no harm, when there is an issue, rather than letting things shut down, THEN RESTARTING, they allow power levels to dip, and return to normal, which is fine for incandescent bulbs and toasters, but DESTROYS sophisticated electronic equipment.

we will soon find ourselves having the kind of problems developing nations (AND CALIFORNIA) currently have.

we haven't builT a major power generating plant since the 1970's and our population has increased from 202,000,000 to 331,900.000 (and remember there were only a few thousand computer servers then)

JKstorm

I have been having this problem with my VP300 for a few months. Never had any problem until I changed the way my network was setup. Now the printer stops randomly and so I loose the print job when it does. Same complaint as many. I have two questions. Does the length of the LAN cable matter much? Secondly, can you damage the main board buy unpluging and pluging in a LAN cable while the maching is powered up?

Thx, Jack

damonCA21

Keep the cable as short as possible. You can damage the mainboard physically by plugging the cable in and out but it could be a coincidence it started happening after you changed the network setup and the board just started failing at that time.