• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking question #2

Flame

Okay, so I got my new computer, and I'm using a 5 port desktop switch to network it with my new computer. The problem I'm having is this.... my Ethernet port is currently being used on my old computer to run my printer. So I have no where to plug my plug. How do I network them together now? I tried an adapter to make it plug into a USB port, but it doesn't recognize it.

Any ideas guys??????????????????????????????

Lonely Fisherman

So if I have this straight, you have a computer with a network card and you have a printer with a network card right? If that's the case, plug the computer into the switch and plug the printer into the switch. You'll have to find the printer on the network again and give it an IP address but that should be easy.

Fish..

Flame

GULP

I've never networked anything before...... starting over with my printer just sounds scary.

How do I give it an IP address and find it etc.??? I haven't a clue on this and haven't been able to find the right info on the web......... yet.

mondo

GULP

I've never networked anything before...... starting over with my printer just sounds scary.

How do I give it an IP address and find it etc.??? I haven't a clue on this and haven't been able to find the right info on the web......... yet.

You can find your printer IP address by browsing on your printer menu panel .

On your new computer, you need to create a new connection on the control panel before you get to know its IP address. Note that both of them should be plugged in a switch/hub or router. But if your problem is your computer not seeing other computer you have, then you just need to create a new connection for that computer. And folllow the instructions.

You also should know the IP address of each computer if you want your new computer to see the other PC. Also note turn off your firewall before you do it. You can see your your computer's IP address by going to Control Panel -> right click on whatever your connection name is and click on Status and click Support tab. You might also want to list down the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway for that computer. Do that on every computer you have.

I hope this would help!?

javila

If I'm reading right, your problem is that you're out of holes?

You need a box with more holes.

signage

Flame if the print has an Ethernet port it should have an IP address, and all you need to do is find out the IP address of the printer. If you do a google search for home networking you should find enough info to figure it out. Its not that hard.

Pro Image

Also you need a new cat-5 cable to go from the router to the printer..........If you had the printed hook directly to the computer it is a CROSS-OVER cable .........You need just a regular cable...........

D&Tgraphics

One other option would be to add another network card to the computer that needs more holes.:) This way you can keep your printer setup the way it is now. I personally would do what everyone else is suggesting but this is an option. If you have any questions just PM me. I networked my whole shop myself (10 PC's plus Printers) I might have some answers for you.

Flame

I CANNOT figure this ****er out!!!!!

I still can't network my computers together!!! I can't figure any of it out. They won't talk, they can't talk, and they refuse to talk to one another. Do I need a program to do this???

Someone please hold my hand through this.... please?

amw

Longtime Members
Okay, so I got my new computer, and I'm using a 5 port desktop switch to network it with my new computer. The problem I'm having is this.... my Ethernet port is currently being used on my old computer to run my printer. So I have no where to plug my plug. How do I network them together now? I tried an adapter to make it plug into a USB port, but it doesn't recognize it.

Any ideas guys??????????????????????????????

If your using a switch your issue is most likely that nothing is handing out IP addresses...
make it easy on yourself and buy a router and that will handle all of that for you (most now are very easy to setup).

Or set up one pc to run the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)service, which more or less hands out the ip addresses to the difrent PCs.

Hope this helps.

signage

Flame do both computer have access to the internet and/or router?
Can you get into the routers configuration screen from both PCs?
On the computers go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig" and see what the ip address are for each computer write them down. Do you know how to ping? If so try to ping each computer.

Flame

ping?

router vs. switch?

huh?

dang.... I'm way outta my league.

Thanks for the link Signage, I'm gonna check it out.

so............. a switch is different than a router, eh? So I gotta buy a "router", not this stupid switch.

Right?

Pro Image

If you have a cable modem or DSL you need to run it to the input of your router..........Then run your cables from your router to your computers and printer..............