• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New 4x8 sign

Guerilla Signs

If you cannot find any in Jonesboro then you can PM me and I can get a couple of sheets of ACM for you. I am just outside of Poplar Bluff and you can come up and pick it up from me. If white will due then I have that in stock.

altereddezignz

Ok im going to try to say and do this as nice as i can and not be so rude about it. If your going to try and show me up and play big and say hey look there is an advanced plastics locally to you and your really not looking please dig deeper before you do. Advanced plastics closed down over 6 years ago. It wasnt even the same advanced plastics they made plastic truck bed tool boxes. They ran 11 blowmolding machines and plant ran 3 10 hr shifts with a roll over in between. how do i know this. i was the assistant plant manager there during the buy out to container components. If you google Container components you will see that it has the same address. Also the plant manager les wilkinson can be reached and i can give you his cell if you need any other info. Now as far as the tubelite thank you for the info. I had looked the number and address up a link provided earlier.

altereddezignz

If you cannot find any in Jonesboro then you can PM me and I can get a couple of sheets of ACM for you. I am just outside of Poplar Bluff and you can come up and pick it up from me. If white will due then I have that in stock.

Thank you for the offer. Let me do some more calling tomorrow and see what i can find. If i can not find any i might take you up on the offer. I will pm you and let you know for sure. Again than you for the offer.

signguy 55

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. Get a couple of 4' x 8' sheets of smooth white tile board, should run you around $20.00 each , a quart of black exterior alkyd enamel, a couple of foam roller covers and give the boards two coats of black or wrap the face in cheap black vinyl.

Tile board will last a couple of years outside. Sounds like your customer doesn't care one way or the other how long it lasts. You've spent more time worrying about what to use and replying to everybody else than the sign is worth.

Jillbeans

...if using tileboard outdoors (never a good idea) you have to paint the very porous back or you will have a soggy sponge with a hard front after the first good rain.

altereddezignz

Ok i will be using a 4x8 sheet of poly metal from tubelite. Not to bad expensive. Any advice on mounting it to the wall. outside wall has vinyl siding and i kinda old. The old sign looks to be just screwed up there with wood screws something of that nature. It is a smaller 3x4 sign at the moment. Customer wants to put the new sign over where the old sign was.

Thank you guys again for the advise. I will post pics when completed. Oh and i was able to purchase the poly metal in matte black.

Again thank you all.

Mosh

Send them to a real sign shop... There are so many race car shops in that area that sell .040 sheets of aluminum in about ANY COLOR you want!

TheSnowman

I mainly just buy and stock white materials, and cover them with whatever color print when they need to be different. Ever thought about just subbing out the print? Heck, you can order 4' X 8' stuff totally printed and ready to go from at least 2-3 Merchant Members here. You'd have some cost in shipping, but if you are stuck, it's a solution. All you'd have to do is come up with the design, and sub it out.

altereddezignz

I mainly just buy and stock white materials, and cover them with whatever color print when they need to be different. Ever thought about just subbing out the print? Heck, you can order 4' X 8' stuff totally printed and ready to go from at least 2-3 Merchant Members here. You'd have some cost in shipping, but if you are stuck, it's a solution. All you'd have to do is come up with the design, and sub it out.

I had actually thought about this also.

altereddezignz

Send them to a real sign shop... There are so many race car shops in that area that sell .040 sheets of aluminum in about ANY COLOR you want!

Its funny i am asking some of the same questions about how and were to get things that you are but instead i get send them to a real sign shop? For what reason?

altereddezignz

Lol.. I was curious how long it would take for someone to tell me to send them elsewhere or to tell me to stop posting.. I asked that question to them but they want something that will stay with the building when they leave. I am doing something better. poly metal.. Should be good substrate from what i am told.

altereddezignz

I guess i should have been a little more in depth when i said cheap. For what i can get the poly metal for ill go that way. They are ok with the price i gave them using this metal so all is good.

Caitlin

Just a heads up (for the future) I wouldn't recommend using coroplast for most outdoor uses other than temporary things like lawn signs, etc. especially for a company sign. It really isn't that much more to get an aluminum composite substrate and it will look a lot sharper and hold up a lot better. And you can get it in white, black, chrome, etc.

Maybe your customer wants cheap, but they probably won't be thrilled if they have to get them re-made. And coroplast will always look relatively cheap which doesn't exactly say "thriving business".

Just a thought :)

Good luck with it!

Pat Whatley

Ok im going to try to say and do this as nice as i can and not be so rude about it. If your going to try and show me up and play big and say hey look there is an advanced plastics locally to you and your really not looking please dig deeper before you do. Advanced plastics closed down over 6 years ago. It wasnt even the same advanced plastics they made plastic truck bed tool boxes. They ran 11 blowmolding machines and plant ran 3 10 hr shifts with a roll over in between. how do i know this. i was the assistant plant manager there during the buy out to container components. If you google Container components you will see that it has the same address. Also the plant manager les wilkinson can be reached and i can give you his cell if you need any other info. Now as far as the tubelite thank you for the info. I had looked the number and address up a link provided earlier.

I have no idea what in the hell you're talking about. I googled sign material suppliers near you thinking I could make it a little easier on you since I probably know the names of quite a few more suppliers than you and that made a whole lot more sense than just spouting off the names of every local supplier I could think of. Sorry, I don't know the delivery radius of every supplier in the country....I used Google. I have no idea who this truck tool box place is. Advanced Plastics (again, somebody I only know from Google) has a website that works http://www.advanced-plastics.com/ and shows up on Google maps street view CLICK ME!. Granted that picture is four years old but there are still trucks in the parking lot and a sign on the building. That building, by the way, doesn't look nearly big enough to have housed that much machinery but just seeing the facia probably doesn't tell the whole story. If you want to shoot me Les' phone number I'll call him and ask him what you're talking about.

By the way, just to try and appease you I googled Container Components. NOTHING on the first three pages. In a further effort to try and understand you I googled "Container Components 4349 Getwell Road Memphis, TN 38118" which is the address I see for Advanced Plastics....NOTHING. Zilch. Nada. I'm not sure who Container Components is but it looks like they're closed. Don't call them, they don't sell sign stuff.

Glad Tubelite could help you out, they're a damn fine company and they'll do you right. Aluminum composite was definitely the way to go. Ready to go panel cheaper than you could do it yourself. One word of warning...the black is notorious for warping in the sun. When you affix it to the building I'd put fasteners every 12" all the way around. A little more work but it will save you headaches this summer when the sun hits it.

Edited to add: First of all, I'm stuck in a waiting room with nothing to do, that's the only reason I'm spending more than two minutes on this. Second, on a hunch I looked up Advanced Plastics in Jonesboro and sure enough it comes up. If you go back and read the post I gave you about Advanced Plastics I quite clearly stated "Tubelite or Advanced Plastics in Memphis".

Last edited: