• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP Latex 700 and 800 series - with White ink

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Honestly, the way latex handles white ink it's better to have it than to not... In theory.
Well... It's not really the best thing to have old ink just circling around and using it twice a year for a small print.
You should still keep the ink fresh and at least use it every once in a while or you do risk the system eventually plug up and printheads not lasting as long.

Like said, no need to re-align. The way this is handled is that the alignment is close enough even if you take them out and put them back.
Then there's a few pixel choke applied to the white and that usually keeps things tidy, even if not in perfect alignment.

Ioan321

Printer
I would like to ask, does the HP Overcoat make the printed result glossy in any way? Is there visible difference with or without it. We'd like to see the same result as our HP L25500 in terms of non-glossy printed surface

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would like to ask, does the HP Overcoat make the printed result glossy in any way? Is there visible difference with or without it. We'd like to see the same result as our HP L25500 in terms of non-glossy printed surface
It doesn't change the finish that much but it adds a tiny bit of gloss I guess. It still more depends on the material you are printing on.
What material were you thinking about?

Remember if you leave the OC out it's a lot more prone for scratches. On non-coated paper it doesn't matter that much but vinyl for example it's scratchable.

Last edited:

Ioan321

Printer
It doesn't change the finish that much but it adds a tiny bit of gloss I guess. It still more depends on the material you are printing on.
What material were you thinking about?

Remember if you leave the OC out it's a lot more prone for scratches. On non-coated paper it doesn't matter that much but vinyl for example it's scratchable.
It is a type of uncoated canvas. But if the machine has option to exclude OC from printing, that should answer my question very well.

ikarasu

White ink is great for stuff like acyrlic, clear decals, multi-sided decals, etc. We usually screen print all those just because we can flood it with white... Then if it isnt screenprintable, we usually have to sheet the back with a cast white, which is pretty expensive. White comes in handy a lot... We dont have it, but wish we did - And tbh, if we were to get it... we wouldnt use it everyday, which is why HP's White is the perfect solution.... It's great to have, and doesnt cost a fortune when you're not using it like the other printers do.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
White ink is great for stuff like acyrlic, clear decals, multi-sided decals, etc. We usually screen print all those just because we can flood it with white... Then if it isnt screenprintable, we usually have to sheet the back with a cast white, which is pretty expensive. White comes in handy a lot... We dont have it, but wish we did - And tbh, if we were to get it... we wouldnt use it everyday, which is why HP's White is the perfect solution.... It's great to have, and doesnt cost a fortune when you're not using it like the other printers do.

Oh yeah I know what white ink is good for. I use it all day every day. I suppose printing onto clear vinyl, then applying to clear acrylic is something I never thought of, just because I dove into that type of printing with a UV Hybrid. All in all, I see where you are coming from for sure!

Herrington25

So now these are in the hands of a few dealers, has anyone compared the color output to the previous generation. Are you able to get more vibrant reds oranges and greens now?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So now these are in the hands of a few dealers, has anyone compared the color output to the previous generation. Are you able to get more vibrant reds oranges and greens now?
The gamut is slightly better but I don't know if it's something that would explode your mind.
For me it looks good :confused:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

The color gamut is definitely larger than with previous generations of Latex, and even more significantly, proximity to maximal color gamut is realized using high productivity print modes as low as 4 or 6 pass.

The difference is night and day at these pass counts - (it might even blow your mind:)).

Last edited:

TomK

The color gamut is definitely larger than with previous generations of Latex, and even more significantly, proximity to maximal color gamut is realized using high productivity print modes as low as 4 or 6 pass.
What makes the new gen have a better color gamut? I mean what tech, how is this accomplished?

What makes the new gen have a better color gamut? I mean what tech, how is this accomplished?

The answer is that the pigment loading has been increased in these inks. By removing the anti-scratch agent from the colored inks and putting it into it's own supply called overcoat, this permits increasing the volume of pigments contained in the color inks.

jpescobar

Smaller dot size, better head stagger pattern, and changes to Ink pigment density just like the R series. As a huge propenent of 6pass on our 570, 4 pass on the 800W is colossally better.

Epson uses different technology than HP which relies on thermal printheads. The ink system on the new Epson R5000 is Ultrachrome RS which is resin pigments and also the printhead has smaller droplet size (4,9 pl) compared to 10 pl ink droplet on the HP Latex 700 and 800 series.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You're wrong. Search for Epson SureColor SC-S80600.
You should have read what we talked about. We were both referring to the SC-R5000 which doesn't have white ink. It was not the point to compare to other tech but to the similar resin one.

And if we compare the white to S80600, latex white is a lot better. That solvent just won't get as opaque and white as the latex. Speedwise as well.

Last edited:

jpescobar

You should have read what we talked about. We were both referring to the SC-R5000 which doesn't have white ink. It was not the point to compare to other tech but to the similar resin one.

And if we compare the white to S80600, latex white is a lot better. That solvent just won't get as opaque and white as the latex. Speedwise as well.

I've followed the release of the HP Latex 700 and 800 series and I can only say that HP did a great job and improvements in many aspects and details like the body design (especially the lift curing module), the inks, the printheads and the 8" touch screen.
I'm planning to buy the 700 W model and I've already ordered the sample kit to have a look at the print quality on different substrates especially with the white ink and the overcoat.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Epson uses different technology than HP which relies on thermal printheads. The ink system on the new Epson R5000 is Ultrachrome RS which is resin pigments and also the printhead has smaller droplet size (4,9 pl) compared to 10 pl ink droplet on the HP Latex 700 and 800 series.
No one but you are comparing to the old tech of solvent. If you didn't understand my answer, maybe try to understand the question first. They asked how HP improved the gamut significantly over the previous generation of Latex... No one in here cares about epson solvent.