• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Local Sign Shop

ams

A guy who has been in signs for awhile decided to open his own sign shop. He needs a good income so he leased a spot of around 1,200 sq. ft. and continues working out of town and has his kids who are both under 18 run it for him for right now by themselves. He doesn't have a sign on the shop or anything on the door. When I was installing a sign next door to them, one of them ran over and asked if the sign was for them. When we said no, they were disappointed.

But it's weird that they are only open like 4 or 5 hours a day, probably not at all when they go back to school. generally these people don't survive because they can't make ends meet. It's going to hurt paying rent when you aren't running it full time. I don't see why people don't do more of an investment and do things the right way. I wish him luck, but I just don't see it.

Johnny Best

So kids under 18 and running up to you.
Are these kids 7 or 8 years old. Maybe they just watch PawPatrol all day and he just needs a place to keep his kids during the day.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Not every sign shop does everything under the sun. Some places outsource a lot and only specialize in certain areas. I'm not sure why this would be surprising to anybody in the industry.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not every sign shop does everything under the sun. Some places outsource a lot and only specialize in certain areas. I'm not sure why this would be surprising to anybody in the industry.

I know of several local sign shops that have electric channel letters and they do not manufacture them... SOMEONE had to make them and put them up. If it were me, I'll slap some blank magnets on their trucks while they installed :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, come up with all the lame excuses you care to, but evidently, these kids can't read or write, if they saw the sign and didn't know whose it was. Besides, the OP said a sign, not a set of channels. It's a pretty bad sign, if they can't make their own sign...... pun intended.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
A guy who has been in signs for awhile decided to open his own sign shop. He needs a good income so he leased a spot of around 1,200 sq. ft. and continues working out of town and has his kids who are both under 18 run it for him for right now by themselves. He doesn't have a sign on the shop or anything on the door. When I was installing a sign next door to them, one of them ran over and asked if the sign was for them. When we said no, they were disappointed.

But it's weird that they are only open like 4 or 5 hours a day, probably not at all when they go back to school. generally these people don't survive because they can't make ends meet. It's going to hurt paying rent when you aren't running it full time. I don't see why people don't do more of an investment and do things the right way. I wish him luck, but I just don't see it.
Is the guy you?

Or is this the "friend" that has a couple HP printers he likes to tell you about?

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy

Off topic, but, we did some vehicle graphics for a company that does tire repair and sales for 18 wheelers & heavy equipment. It was really funny seeing that truck at Discount Tire getting a new set of wheels and tires :D

Marlene

Well duh, not every shop makes every kind of sign but if they can't handle a simple sign for their own door, they are not a sign shop.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Well duh, not every shop makes every kind of sign but if they can't handle a simple sign for their own door, they are not a sign shop.

Why not? A single broker can call themselves a "sign shop" without ever manufacturing a single thing.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's not something that's shocking or even uncommon.

[Edit: Not saying I disagree with anybody, but I know several people that operate like this and a couple of them pretty successfully.]

Marlene

Why not? A single broker can call themselves a "sign shop" without ever manufacturing a single thing.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's not something that's shocking or even uncommon.

[Edit: Not saying I disagree with anybody, but I know several people that operate like this and a couple of them pretty successfully.]

We can "what if" this to death...lets not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, c'mon folks..... this is no 'WHAT IF' situation at all. The OP said it's a guy in the sign business for a while, who just opened a 1,200 sf shop. He has kids running the place while he's gone. Does not sound like any kinda broker to me, whatsoever. Going off on a tangent is fine about brokers and yes, there are some very successful ones, but not many of them call themselves sign shops with kids running around. To be successful, I'm sure they are there about full-time or from wherever they run their business and meeting with clients the rest of the time.

This is either a front for something or just poor planning based upon the facts we have so far. Please, consider the source. :banghead:

BALLPARK

You have to start somewhere... Maybe that is all that he could do at this time to get started.

Not everyone has the money to get started "the proper way" as some would put it. I hope the guy takes off quickly and gets things going for his family. This industry offers many great opportunities for those that are willing to work for it.

billsines

Is he Amish? They have their kids run stuff around here. Took my bike in to get it worked on at an Amish bike shop. Guy sat there and read a paper while his 10 year old worked on my bike...haven't been back since. Not gonna have a 10 year old mechanic adjusting my brakes and shifter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is he Amish? They have their kids run stuff around here. Took my bike in to get it worked on at an Amish bike shop. Guy sat there and read a paper while his 10 year old worked on my bike...haven't been back since. Not gonna have a 10 year old mechanic adjusting my brakes and shifter.

Yeah, especially when a 10 year old can do it and you can't, huh ??

This is like the 3rd time in a week someone has busted on the Amish...... what gives ??

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'm not even sure why any of you even care. It has zero effect on you or your business. Why is this even a topic of discussion?

This is like a neighborhood discussion group talking about the neighborhood "thugs" wreaking havoc when it's just kids walking home from the bus stop. This is dumb. Y'all have a great day.