• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo ideas!

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Hello creatives!
We purchased this business 3 years ago and since it was established and working we did not want to do an fast changes until we got a better grip on OUR new business. Well, then we decided that we would be in the market for a new building so we decided to wait to change it. Then it sort of got put on the back burner until we had "time."
Well, now we have a new building and a whole lot less time but it is the perfect time to change it up! I have never really liked the name but there are two things going for it that I do like.
1-It is well known and established
2-Ok one thing!
But changing the name would be a paperwork nightmare so Silvertip it is! In fact, the whole name is "Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc."
The original owner back in the early 90's was a hell of a signmaking gal and a great designer but she did have a flair for the cutesy. I can no longer find the original logo but it had a bear paw with claws lol. I guess grizzly bears are sometimes called a silvertip bear. Now, you have a lot of meaningless back story!
I was given a tip from clockwork and I am looking for some feedback because in all honesty I don't have a big place (just me and the hubby) with no team of designers to bounce off of so I am here for the help!
As I progress with this I will try to check in and keep you all posted and get your opinions. Hopefully soon!
Attached is the current logo with tag line-no need to tell me how icky it is I am not fond of it either!
I am working out the checklist of things that I ask my own customers to think about and I can post that if you are interested in my answers lol!

Attachments

• Logo without phone number.jpg
    Logo without phone number.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 166

nikdoobs

If it were my business I would simplify the name to just be Silver Tip Signs. Signs, designs & graphics are all kind of the same thing. That way your name is simpler, easier to so say & easier to remember (plus the name is still recognizable).

I'd also get rid of the Inc. You really don't need it on anything besides formal tax documents. If I'm not mistaken you can keep your name but just change your DBA pretty easily.

I take it you are going to get rid of your tag line since you already know how icky it is?

I'd also hire someone to do your logo for you. This one needs a lot of work.

petesign

Im no design guru, but you are falling into a trap i know well. I want to show how much I can do, and the simplest logo is the best. Yours is too busy and hard to read. I understand exactly why youve put all of the things you did on there, and honestly I would probably have done it a similar way - but your logo doesnt need to list everything you do, it just needs to be a clear read and catchy. Fedex logo doesnt say shipping, delivery, boxes, etc... yours doesnt need all of your services either. Save that for your sign.

That said, lose the silver and black. Make the bottom of the P silver or something so it has a silver tip maybe?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Way too much going on. Most of it nonessential, too.

Dumb down the name like mentioned.

Please, do get rid of the tag line, along with all the italics. Make your name stand up on it's own. Either make it professional and no cutesy things or just go the way you're heading.

Kottwitz-Graphics

If you're looking for someone, call SignAmigo.

He knows his stuff, and has done a lot of great logos, including a few on here (mine included).

Pat Whatley

I'd also get rid of the Inc. You really don't need it on anything besides formal tax documents. If I'm not mistaken you can keep your name but just change your DBA pretty easily.

Yep, changing a DBA is easy, all the government is really concerned with is that they know who is responsible for the taxes. If Incorporation name is the same and you file under that they really don't care who you tell people you are. In Alabama it costs $10 and takes mere minutes.

Here's a (far from complete) thought I had.... i FELT OBLIGATED TO THROW A BEAR IN THERE.

Attachments

• silvertip.jpg
    silvertip.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 131
  • silvertip 2.jpg
    silvertip 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 125

jaylem

logo design

Some the previous posts are steering you in the right direction:
Simplify the logo. Some of the most effective logos in the world are ultra simple such as Nike, Pepsi, Chevy, etc...

Build your logo in black and white. Don't use any gradients. You can change colors and add gradients later as the medium allows. Think of it as a production issue. How would you reproduce the the logo on a screen printed tee or die cut non-printed decal?
If you are interested in outsourcing the logo design there are some sites that you can submit your work for a lot of designers to compete for. Depending on what you pay, you can get a ton of designers creating art for you and you pick the best. kinda like a contest.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you are interested in outsourcing the logo design there are some sites that you can submit your work for a lot of designers to compete for. Depending on what you pay, you can get a ton of designers creating art for you and you pick the best. kinda like a contest.

PLEASE DON'T...

You design signs already, learn to design your own, learn to design better layouts.

player

What a horrible idea... pitting artists against each other to work for one peanut... This contributes to the demise of being able to make a living in the graphics trade.

Rick

I think you might need to start like most "graphic designers" start out with...

The design process. See the flow chart to how most designers work.

Then you might fill out your own design brief. We use design briefs as part
of the contract, that way we have a target to shoot for. It gives your project a
visual language.

I agree with the too much going on, that squiggle adds nothing, wasp with the
tagline... who cares if the images sticks with "you"... it needs to stick with your
clients potential customers... I think "IMAGES THAT STICK" is more appropriate
(and it's short and sweet).

I wonder why so many newish sign shops use that "renfrew" typeface. Still
boggles my mind after being on design forums for 17 years that sign shops use
it. It's lost it's campyness years ago. In my opinion, it's a typeface that should be
avoided.

Attachments

• VGlitschka_process2.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 158
  • VGlitschka_brief2.pdf
    247.6 KB · Views: 164

jaylem

competition

What a horrible idea... pitting artists against each other to work for one peanut... This contributes to the demise of being able to make a living in the graphics trade.

I can see your point, yet flawed. That forum gives young and inexperienced designers and students an opportunity to practice their craft and possibly get paid. Furthermore, it's competition that has driven this country and what continues to drive quality upward. You also have to keep in a mind the "peanut" is a variable. If you pay more you get more. ie $250 probably isn't going to get you a well thought out design, no demographic research, or color analysis. Certainly no creative brief. On the other hand, a $1,500 bounty is going to draw some serious talent and get you more than a trendy shape and some typography. BTW This forat of design is a reality of the world we live in, thank you internet, so better get used to it.

bloobird0

Yep, changing a DBA is easy, all the government is really concerned with is that they know who is responsible for the taxes. If Incorporation name is the same and you file under that they really don't care who you tell people you are. In Alabama it costs $10 and takes mere minutes.

Here's a (far from complete) thought I had.... i FELT OBLIGATED TO THROW A BEAR IN THERE.

Pat: what's the font name on the picture with 3 logo variants?

Marlene

Hello creatives!
We purchased this business 3 years ago and since it was established and working we did not want to do an fast changes until we got a better grip on OUR new business. Well, then we decided that we would be in the market for a new building so we decided to wait to change it. Then it sort of got put on the back burner until we had "time."
Well, now we have a new building and a whole lot less time but it is the perfect time to change it up! I have never really liked the name but there are two things going for it that I do like.
1-It is well known and established
2-Ok one thing!
But changing the name would be a paperwork nightmare so Silvertip it is! In fact, the whole name is "Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc."
The original owner back in the early 90's was a hell of a signmaking gal and a great designer but she did have a flair for the cutesy. I can no longer find the original logo but it had a bear paw with claws lol. I guess grizzly bears are sometimes called a silvertip bear. Now, you have a lot of meaningless back story!
I was given a tip from clockwork and I am looking for some feedback because in all honesty I don't have a big place (just me and the hubby) with no team of designers to bounce off of so I am here for the help!
As I progress with this I will try to check in and keep you all posted and get your opinions. Hopefully soon!
Attached is the current logo with tag line-no need to tell me how icky it is I am not fond of it either!
I am working out the checklist of things that I ask my own customers to think about and I can post that if you are interested in my answers lol!

you don't have a team of designers but do you have any designers? not sure how you can offer the service. you might want to check into hiring someone ether local or one of or people here who do design work to be your go to person for that service. I would get all that going before worring about a logo as what good is a logo that has graphics and design when you really don't offer that. not being a snot or mean, just a reality check.

Rick

I can see your point, yet flawed. That forum gives young and inexperienced designers and students an opportunity to practice their craft and possibly get paid. Furthermore, it's competition that has driven this country and what continues to drive quality upward. You also have to keep in a mind the "peanut" is a variable. If you pay more you get more. ie $250 probably isn't going to get you a well thought out design, no demographic research, or color analysis. Certainly no creative brief. On the other hand, a $1,500 bounty is going to draw some serious talent and get you more than a trendy shape and some typography. BTW This forat of design is a reality of the world we live in, thank you internet, so better get used to it.

You explanation is equally flawed... though it may be the world we live in, generally these competitions
are not well thought out design, usually pinched ideas by third world designers who can win up to a months
- years wage in one shot... if I could get paid that, I would do that and they would get actual quality design.

You mention that crowdsourcing gives young and inexperienced designers and students a chance to design?
We talking some bright-eyed, pimple-faced American, Canadian or European kids fresh out of school or has
access to Illustrator or Corel trying to make name for themselves? Or some logo mill in India?
Who in their right mind should allow these people access to your business' branding! Then add to that third
world designers with no idea of American vernacular, rampant stealing of designs, cookie cutter solutions.

By the way, $1500.00 is still peanuts (in the US)... oh thats right, were letting inexperienced newbies have their shot.
Upping the prize will NOT attract quality designers in droves, it will attract more cr@p.

I get that crowdsourcing is here to stay, cool, let them have at it. The only way I would ever get involved
with crowdsourcing is to actually own the site, then let my design minions go at it for table scraps while
I collect 20% of a few million bucks a month while paying third world coders maintain my site for peanuts a day!
THAT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!!!

To the OP...
Learn how to design or hire a designer. I have seen your work, with just the smallest adjustments, your work can be better...
which in turn can make more profit, which in turn can speed up your work, which means more profit!
You will learn nothing from a crowdsource experience. Whether you dump 250 or 1500 into it, you'll just have
more hacks jumping into the competition. Not every logo crit goes well here, but it's worth a shot posting
and seeing what other designers think.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Thanks for participating!

Yep I agree with most of what I saw. This logo was not designed by me and when we purchased this place 3 years ago I did not want to change anything because I simply was not comfortable at that time doing so. Now I am. I will be the first to admit that I am not a super great designer so no need to be snarly there. That in and of itself is not the worst thing in the world. I am getting better though and looking thru here and talking to people does teach me lessons.
I am in the midst of a pretty big upheaval and I am kicking around some ideas in my head and when I get a free hour this weekend I plan to put some ideas to work.
I agree that not everything has to be in the new logo like it is now. Our lawyer and others here in town are telling EVERYONE that they HAVE to put llc or Inc. in their logos. I personally think that a logo should not be considered a binding agreement but lawyers think differently than artists and designers I guess. I don't see McDonalds with Inc or whatever but that is a different issue that I will have to decide whether or not I follow the lawyers advice on or not.
If I get brave I will post what I put together and let you all pick it apart sometime soon! Thanks for the thoughts though I am listening!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I'm usually one to tell anyone to listen to their attorneys..... in this case, they are wrong. You do not need it on signs, advertisements, vehicles or anywhere else. If that were the case, you'd have to answer the phone : Hello, Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc. You'll probably say something like, Hello, Silvertip Signs, how can I help you ??

Never happens, y'all shorten it to the best of your ability to not make it a tongue twister and easy to say and remember.

On letterheads, invoices, quotes, taxes, cover sheets and any other kind of legal document, you must identify yourself/your business with your full name. If you have a registered trademark within your name, that must be recognized, otherwise, no on the other stuff.

Pat Whatley

Our lawyer and others here in town are telling EVERYONE that they HAVE to put llc or Inc. in their logos.
Ask your lawyer to cite one case, ANYWHERE, where there was a legal decision based on INC not being on a sign. Just one. Your lawyer is just covering his ***.

LLC is only slightly different. It's not required but showing it helps establish the "protection" aspect of an LLC if it is ever questioned.