• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Member On Board

optmgfx

I have been in business for 3 years now....go into this "mess" by accident. Bought the 12" Stika to do the lettering and such on my husband's and my daughter's gokarts. Word got out I could do gokart lettering then it went to simple signage and then to store fronts. Within a month of buying the 12" machine, I had to go larger so I went to a 24". I didn't have a lot of $$$$ so I chose the VinylExpress....well worth the $$. Now I am looking to purchase a digital printer (some what cheap) because I really don't know if this area would be profitable. I live in an extremely rural - poor area of NC.

Anyway, enough of that! I have enjoyed my work and I continue to strive to produce quality signage by using quality materials. I believe you get what you pay for and if you cut corners, your customers won't return. So far I have had them to return and I like it like that!!!

I found this site by accident....so I thought! I think it was meant for me to find it because I have already found some useful information!

Thanks for allowing me to join such a wonderful family!!!:Big Laugh

MAB SIGNS

Nothing cheap about digital printing if you want a quality product, I recommend you stick to outsourcing and if you ask, some members might be able to help you out with wholesale digital printing. I know there is a large format company in NC that offers a decent product can't remember the name though. A Gerber Edge will cost you a TON more than you spent on the Express and any solvent version will cost you as well so you had better let the demand for digital force your hand rather than to buy one on a want one basis and be forced to deal with the learning curve associated with it. You can learn alot from the wholesalers in the mean time. Best of luck!

Kenny

Welcome to the forum! I'll echo the advice MAB gave about wholesaling out your digital work until it will support an equipment purchase.

Nice glass-etch work, BTW.:thumb:

Welcome optmgfx!

In regards to printing, it sounds as of you have no large "call" for it - yet. If that is the case, sub the printwork until you build the business. That way you are assured that it is profitable, any time you sell it.

You would be suprised at the money you can make without any of the headaches associated with the actual process. Everyone here will be more than glad to assist you, in anyway they can - including us.

Again, welcome!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome, you’ll enjoy and learn a lot from this place.

Until you get your feet wet with digital printing, test the waters, build up your market and sub it out. After you find out what part of digital printing you’re heading into, then jump in the water with both feet and get the right one for you. :thumb:

Good Luck.

ahollow

Welcome aboard. I started the same way, with a Stika 15" doing masks for radio-controlled car bodies, then ended up doing banners, etc. Just upgraded to a Graphtec FC7000-75 and a Mutoh Jr digital printer, and purchased a CAPS 6/4 screen press last Feb. Be careful, as word gets out, you will be surprised at how much work you can get without even advertising.
I'm building this "hobby" into a second business for when I can actually get around to retiring from my day job.

Again, welcome aboard!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome

Printers are nice to have but you need to know your market before commiting to a large purchase. Outsourcing is a good way to find out what your market is.
:Welcome: To :signs101: From Arkansas :Coffee:

Merlin

Welcome to the best board on the net.:Welcome: Alot of us just aren't right, but them my mama told me that all my life. :biggrin:

optmgfx

Mike Paul,

I am a full time Paramedic with the County EMS service! Looking to one day do this full time but right now trying to put money back for my girls college education. My oldest only has 2 yrs before she is off to college....then I will have a few years before the youngest goes!

You folks talk about information.....this site is full of it! I have learned so much in just the few times I have signed on. Most days I don't have much time to log on but when I do, I get so caught up in reading everything I can I stay up too late!

Thanks to everyone for the hospitality!!!!! Look forward to a long and rewarding friendship with signs101.com!!!!

Geary

YES...That's the SPIRIT!

optmgfx said:
You folks talk about information.....this site is full of it! I have learned so much in just the few times I have signed on. Most days I don't have much time to log on but when I do, I get so caught up in reading everything I can I stay up too late!

Thanks to everyone for the hospitality!!!!! Look forward to a long and rewarding friendship with signs101.com!!!!

Now ......THIS...... is the way to get introduced to the sign Biz! What a GREAT upbeat post! You will not be sorry you got into it. It's been a wonderful way for me to make a living for almost 35 years and I highly recommend it if you are passionate about the design end of it especially. That's really what keeps the fire going for it.

:Welcome: :Welcome: :Welcome:

~Geary

.....and then come the graduations, the dorm or apartment rents, car repairs (away from home of course)...oh yes, then come the weddings - and it still is not over!

Come on, give it up! You will never be able to retire and do "signs", until you are 70!

:Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Oops:

Your own words:
"Remember Yesterday, Live Today, Dream of Tomorrow!"
:Big Laugh :Big Laugh​