• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question New or used?

Adam Conrad

We need a laminator for low production in house.
Thoughts on buying a new Seal 54el for $5700
Or a used 62c on ebay for $4900? I am only working with printed vinyl usually 54" to laminate one side so I don't think I need heat. I like the idea of a wider laminator and possibly could use the extra width. I definitely need a laminator for mounting prints to substrate and for vehicle wraps.
I appreciate any feedback.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’m not familiar with either machine or their conditions but If you have a 64” printer I’d get a bigger laminator. If you have a 54” printer, you probably only need the 54” laminator unless planning to upgrade.

That being said, most printers come pretty standard as 64” nowadays and having the extra width can’t really have any downsides.

With regards to heat, we need heat with our UV printer to stop slivering. But even when just mounting prints the heat does make them go down nice and smooth. Just makes the vinyl a bit more malleable. Not necessary but nice to have also.

Adam Conrad

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected having top heat would be an advantage.
I have a 64" printer so it would make sense to go for the lager laminator. Used is $4900 and new for that Seal base 64 is at least double that.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
the 64" laminator can inspire you to get a 64" printer in the future

since both choices are seal, i won't go on about my high opinion of seal product, but i don't think buying a used seal is any sort of a gamble as long as the rollers are in good shape

player

Laminating requires perfect rollers. Go new. Another aspect is how many feet the laminator will laminate without "candy caning" or skewing. Once it starts going off it goes more and more very quickly. So I vote new. If you are budget conscious and/or you're not high production there are low cost off shore alternatives. USTECH Laminators are popular. They have a variety of models. http://www.masterwarehouse.com/us/down_for_maintenance.html?zenid=jj6b3kpdhlja71jdbs0pibhas6
The website was down for maintenance, hopefully not closed.

Last edited: