• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer

qmr55

If you guys were looking for a new printer, what would you look into? What is the best for the money right now? Is the Roland all in one? A different one? The epson with latex inks?

We are going to be purchasing a printer soon and I want your guys opinions on what I should get. Give me your opinions on printer, cutter and laminator.

Thanks!

Custom_Grafx

From what everyone's saying. Latex. It's HP, not Epson. Biggest upside is you don't have to wait before you lam... that seems to be the biggest plus (it would be for me anyway).

Don't cheap out on your laminator, or your cutter.

Only downside to the latex, is it doesn't have a built in cutter... and that's not even a downside to everyone...

As for me, currently on a roland vs series and RS laminator. Happy with both.

Good luck.

WildWestDesigns

Since you are looking at new, I would look into the new technology right now. See if it's stable and then go with that. Reason I think like that is if the new technology takes off, at least you won't have to worry about upgrading in the near future.

Most of the stuff that I do, the software portion of it can really make the hardware outdated if you don't watch it or have the means to keep the older stuff. So if you are looking (and can afford) new, I would go all the way new.

CS-SignSupply-TT

DEVO, start with what you already have. What do you like/dislike? What are your customers requesting that you outsource? Is your business primarily sheet work, banners, dimensional, electrical or adhesive back vinyl graphics? Do you want technology to replace an employee?

qmr55

Thank you for all the advice guys. We are really looking at the HP Latex printers. Which one would you latex guys recommend?

qmr55

Been looking at the HP L25500 60" for awhile now, looks like a nice machine. Colorado what cutter/plotter would you recommend for that?

CentralSigns

Dude you don't give us any info on the products you want to sell. The wrap guys like the latex but others like the Roland's with cutters. It all depends on your market. Better info gives better printer for job.

qmr55

Dude you don't give us any info on the products you want to sell. The wrap guys like the latex but others like the Roland's with cutters. It all depends on your market. Better info gives better printer for job.

Wraps, small run jobs, signs, race car wraps...everything!

Right now we are subbing all the printing out.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Is your shop big enough to accommodate the SIZE and HEAT of the HP L25500? By the way, HP may be running another promotion with the approach of SGIA in naw'lins 10/19,20,21

qmr55

Is your shop big enough to accommodate the SIZE and HEAT of the HP L25500? By the way, HP may be running another promotion with the approach of SGIA in naw'lins 10/19,20,21

Yes-- more than enough space. We have 6 offices and a 10,00 sq ft shop! So space will never be a problem.

Will you make more money printing direct to rigid substrates -OR- printing the wraps and banners?

Truthfully, both! Are you heading in the direction of Flat Bed printers for rigid substrates?

HulkSmash

The latex is kinda small.. the heat isn't as bad as people make it out to be.. actually we don't notice it at all..

Hicalibersigns

We have the 60" L25500, Graphtec FC8000-160 64" cutter, and Royal Sovereign 1650LS 65" laminator. We haven't found much not to like. We love the HP. No odor, beautiful colors, nice machine. Since it has its own take up system, it really doesn't require as much space as you might think.

CS-SignSupply-TT

The move towards flatbed is all about LABOR/TIME savings. With a flat bed, its FILE PREP, RIP, PRINT to substrate, HAND-OFF to customer (don't forget to get PAID). On the other hand, without the flatbed (without OUTSOURCE), the process is FILE PREP, RIP, PRINT to vinyl, CUT to size, APPLY to substrate, HAND-OFF to customer (don't forget to get PAID).