• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Forums from Florida

Jeremy092288

Hey fellas,

I work for a construction company in southwest Florida. We recently decided to change the name of our company and hence redo all of the signage on our trucks and equipment, (including over 200 dumpsters). After researching what the local sign shops wanted to redo our signs, and researching how much it would cost for us to do it ourselves. We decided to do the latter, as it was only a bit more and then we could use the equipment for a profit. Well, since I was the resident IT guy and I knew the most about computer design and printers and such, I got stuck with this job. So anyway, I have been slowly but surely learning the tricks of the trade. However, I can't really teach myself everything. So I was wondering if each of you could give me what you feel is the single most important tip of the sign industry. The Do's and Don'ts so to say. Anyway, I really like what I have seen on these forums so far. You guys do some amazing work.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

Service Sign Co

No thanks necessary, trade secrets are for people that are in the trade, we don't know what equipment or software you are using. Ask your boss for a raise before you venture into the world of signs

Jeremy092288

Ok, well i see the mood here is pretty sarcastic, or at least i hope it is haha.....

Anyone else have a Mutoh 1204? What are the maintenance requirements..... and does anyone know where a good cheap place is to buy ink and supplies for it at? Fellers does not sell ink for the 1204.

Shovelhead

I want to renovate my house but after seeing what my local
construction company's quotes are, I've decided take the plunge
and do it myself.
Can you tell me where I can find cheap building materials and maybe throw
in some tips and advise on building an addition??

I don't offend easily....but your avatar blows.
Great first impression Sporto!

Support your local sign professional!

Attachments

• 14742255-14742261-large.jpg
    14742255-14742261-large.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 111

freehand

I had a customer who took a print for car wrap from me, but wanted to install it himself, while it is cheaper.
Also was quit comfortable to ask for advice and tips HOW to do that. Should i offer him a hand to make it together? As a friends and Christians?
Is it a big sin i refused?
Will i go to hell?!

Jillbeans

Hey if you come and put a new roof/soffit & fascia on my 1930 Cape Cod I will happily tell you everything I have learned in 23 years of making signs, both hand painted and vynull.
I might even give you a few design tips!
Sound like a plan? I am pretty good with signs but I suck at construction.
Love....Jill

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.

I do a lot of my own work because I think construction companies charge too much. It usually is not the best quality but I get it done for less.

Jeremy092288

Dale, I just bought one of the #1 big squeeges from fellers after seeing it on this site..... so far I love it. I still have some learning to do but it is really great for quickly applying vinyl to corroplast..

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a outstanding forum and people

well ya hit a sour note with us, guess we are tierd of seeing customers becoming sign shops I know I am

but since your well on the way pick up some trade magizines like ....Signcraft ..Ft Meyers is home of it... it also has some great..... books to read ..which is a great way to learn

hope ya stick with it ..the sign industry is the best, and you'll find some of the best people

git r dun

Jeremy092288

Sorry guys, I didn't know this was a sore spot. I guess it only makes sense I wouldn't be too happy if sign companies started doing construction. Now all of the hostility makes sense.