• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Newbie - Cast Overlaminate loading

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Our way wastes about 10 inches or so but it’s never failed us so far.

So load the lam and empty takeup. Lift the top roller quite high, pull the lam (still attached to backer) through about 6-10 inches - just enough to be able to hold it taught and keep
Your fingers safe.

hold the centre of the lam quite taught but don’t pull too hard. Lower the roller over it. That should have the lam loaded perfect without adding any tension.

Tough bit is now to cut the backer from the lam without cutting the lam (we have a few little safety knives that do this great). After that, attach the backer to the takeup and you’re set. Load a roll and crack on.

MikePro

i setup my web by peeling from the liner that's already attached to the liner take-up, then pull it down & under/through the pinch rollers, and then tack it to the backside of the laminator....thus creating my "loose web", and then at this point I lightly twist backward on the laminate feed roll to tighten the web and then close the nips to finish. tensions itself to a clean square and you're ready to rock, feeding a bit of material through the laminator to cut the mess of laminate from the backside and then start your run at your known pressure/feed settings.

rjssigns

I have the same laminator as the OP and use a sled for initial and consecutive web up.
I also learned to never completely remove laminate during a change over. Just wastes time and creates issues on web up.

Once laminate is loaded and I have to change out I leave a "tail" of exposed laminate that goes over the back of the nip roll.
Stick the new laminate to that and drop the roller handle to float. Note: I roll out enough laminate for the backer to catch the take up.
Then I take my 3mm coro sled(48" x 7")at a high angle and push it against the nip roll as I push it forward and down under the nip point.
Once the sled is flat I run the laminator until the sled can be cut free.
Place the handle in Laminating position and start laminating.
Wastes about a foot of material.

Almost forgot this; I only put one small piece of tape dead center on the take up. This allows the backer to find its own center and again eliminates a bunch of web up issues.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I used to build flying and zero-speed pasters for the printing industry.;)

Goatshaver

I have the same laminator as the OP and use a sled for initial and consecutive web up.
I also learned to never completely remove laminate during a change over. Just wastes time and creates issues on web up.

Once laminate is loaded and I have to change out I leave a "tail" of exposed laminate that goes over the back of the nip roll.
Stick the new laminate to that and drop the roller handle to float. Note: I roll out enough laminate for the backer to catch the take up.
Then I take my 3mm coro sled(48" x 7")at a high angle and push it against the nip roll as I push it forward and down under the nip point.
Once the sled is flat I run the laminator until the sled can be cut free.
Place the handle in Laminating position and start laminating.
Wastes about a foot of material.

Almost forgot this; I only put one small piece of tape dead center on the take up. This allows the backer to find its own center and again eliminates a bunch of web up issues.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I used to build flying and zero-speed pasters for the printing industry.;)
You know I never thought of that especially when I have that tail of lam left after cutting the web. I'm definitely going to try this one!

And what is a coro sled? Never heard the term before, but I'm just guessing it's a rigid piece of coroplast you use for loading up new material.

rjssigns

You know I never thought of that especially when I have that tail of lam left after cutting the web. I'm definitely going to try this one!

And what is a coro sled? Never heard the term before, but I'm just guessing it's a rigid piece of coroplast you use for loading up new material.
Coro sled is just a waste piece of coro. Although to be honest my latest sled is foam core pvc(generic sintra). Lam peels off easier than coro, well if you do it right away like I always do.:big laugh: