• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newbie from tx diving in head first.

ccuddey

Hello all. Been surfing for a few months now but decided to join today. I race dirt track cars here in the dfw area and for that matter all over the country, but regardless, i constantly am having to put new graphics on my car. you know the old phrase "rubbing is racing". well I'm rubbing all my graphics off and every time i have to replace them it costs me an arm and a leg. So i started researching how to make these graphics and in the process of talking with others and doing the research decided i wanted to start a company doing graphics, signs, banners and general printing solutions. The good thing about dirt racing is not only do i have multiple people that know me that need graphics for their car but the majority of them own their own businesses and need banners, vinyl stickers, window decals and such for their business. so I dove in head first.

I picked up a summa graphics t1010 plus at auction that seems to be working fine. have not actually cut anything on it because i had to order a set of knives that haven't arrived yet. I picked it up for 70 dollars.

i also found a mutoh LT toucan ultra 64" eco solvent printer for 1820 dollars. Bought it from a guy that acknowledged that the heads might need refurbished/cleaned and or replaced. it sat in his office for around a year unused. Im mechanically inclined and understand basic principles but printers are not my forte.

i checked all the lines that run from the cartridges to the heads. there is definitely ink in them but isn't hardened.

there are only 3 cartridges that I'm sure are old and can't be used.

I removed all 6 heads in hope of taking them somewhere to get them cleaned. even called fellers and they referred me to my local mutoh repair tech and he told me he would not even try cleaning them because he has tried and failed before. awesome.

my questions are..

what would you're course of action be?

I need a way to flush the ink tubing without the heads in. I did not want to flush the lines with the heads still installed in the hopes that they could be cleaned and didn't want to push 1 year old ink through them. so how do i go about flushing them? I'm not for sure if the syringe would work. I can't seem to find an adapter to attach to the compression fitting which i discovered taking it to ace is a m7 by 1.0 pitch. so i tried making my own adapter to attach a syringe but couldn't get it to seal so i know there has to be something out there that already has the correct adapter and fittings i just don't know where.

also would you try to clean the heads or just buy new ones? i don't mind buying new ones but the problem is I've been researching that if you buy a new one it has to have the resistance code on it and entered into the printer. also got really confused trying to find the right one to buy because some of the ones I'm looking at say its good for water and eco and both roland and mutoh. i want the ability to buy the ones you see on ebay for 700 or so since i have to buy 6 but wanted to check with the professionals first. or to see if maybe i should invest in the print head doctor. I've seen reviews but most of the reviews are mixed and outdated.

Also i assume i will have to change the dampers. Kind of no big deal there i understand that.

Should i change the capping station?
should i change the wipers?
should i change the pumps?
basically anything that would have old ink in it or should i just flush the lines, fix or replace the heads and do a self cleaning with the printer and do a test print and see what happens before i start replacing what could be good parts?

and one last question. for the ink i was wanting to go with the refillable cartridge setup so i could buy my ink in bulk and not have to buy a new cartridge every time. so my question is since the mutoh is a smart chip cartridge system. do i just buy any cartridge that will work, order 12 chips and thats all i have to do? or is it more complicated then that?

Sorry for all the questions. Im just excited to get started and want to make sure that when i start ordering parts i get it right the first time and have quality prints when I'm done, because in the end thats what the printer is all about anyway. any input you can give me i would greatly appreciate it. Ive been researching for a long time now and have discovered a lot of answers. these are the more specific ones i could not find exact answers for. I appreciate your time and advice in advance. can't wait to be up and operational.

ccuddey

anybody? or does anybody have a service tech that they might refer me to to clean the heads and ask some of these questions? I have called mutoh and they informed me that they do not clean the heads just replace. well at 1300 a pieceX6 heads id like to at least try to get them cleaned first.

ccuddey

You might be right assuming I have to replace all 6 heads and capping station I would have to spend around 6 thousand. However I have been looking around and I can not find a good used printer for under 6 thousand that would be anywhere close to as good as this mutoh once it's up and running. And if I can possibly save 2 or 3 heads and replace the others then I won't have anywhere near 6 thousand. I see these printers selling used for 13 thousand plus on ebay and my local listings. If I had to replace all the above I would only have roughly 8 thousand in it.

I don't mind spending the money just want to make sure I'm spending the money on the right thing. I wold even spend money for someone's time just to pick their brain on my plotter and printer. I just need pointed in the right direction.

artbot

maybe too much coffee? we here are all pressed for time to get through every work day. respectfully, ...maybe condense your needs into separate threads over time.

ccuddey

Agreed. Maybe for my first post I gave more food then people were hungry for. It's alright. I'll continue resareaching and getting the information I need. Hopefully these good people here at signs 101 will continue chiming in with their insight. I don't mind learning how to work on my machine. That way if it ever breaks or goes down I'll know exactly what to do. I want to build my business on a strong foundation and want to know it like the back of my hand, maitenance included.

ccuddey

Just an update on where I'm at hoping to inform others along the way.

Last week I went to printhead911 to order one of their print head doctor recovery kits. The x6 kit for 1799 plus shipping. Total came out to 1849 wich I paid through paypal. I got an email right afterwards confirming my order and the email stated I would be made aware of when my kit was shipped.

Takes me to today a week later and it still hadn't been shipped so I called to find out what the hold up was becuase according to the email it was to be shipped in 2-3 business days. So today I talk to a representative who needed to talk to someone from the processing department to find out why it hasn't shipped. She calls me back about 5 minutes later and informs me that it hasn't shipped becuase the website didn't charge me correctly. That it should have charged me for a template and solution pack. I informed her that I did not order the x5 kit that doesn't include the template and solution pack. That I orderes an x6 pack that included it. Clearly stated on their website when I ordered and today when I verified so I took a screen shot which I've included in an attachment for you guys to see for yourselves. The operator then states that maybe when talking to the processing department that they checked the wrong account or the website didn't order the right kit that I paid for (having a confirmation email from the website that clearly stated I ordered and paid for the x6 kit) so she said she would call me back once it was sorted. She called back again about 5 minutes later once again informing me that the website should have charged me for a solution pack and a template becuase the kit I got did not include it. I argued for a minute or 2 trying to plplead my case that in fact I ordered and paid for the x6 kit. Not the x5. At the end of the day all they were willing to do was charge me 500 dollars more for the solution pack and the template instead of the 399 a piece that the website "should have charged". What a deal right. I demanded my money back to cancel the order and that I'd never to business with them again. What a sham.

So I'm currently back to square one on the print heads if anyone has a solution to offer maybe a local company in the dfw texas area that will clean them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-16-13-42-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-16-13-42-39.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 90

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, welcome to the world of do-it-yourselfers forum, huh..................

Not many people want to come in the back door to a business venture buying stuff that knowingly doesn't work, let alone how to operate it. Fixing things and making a hodgepodge of your business model is only going to result in getting the same kinda cheap customers.

Perhaps, once you figure out how to fix this machine of yours, you might know enough to go into the tech world and fix other people's problems and make money there, in addition to your sign making skills.

Anyway..... do you :

• Do you have software ??
  • Do you know anything about designs ??
  • Do you have a direction you want to head ??
  • Do you have any other tools ??
  • Do you have business licences ??
  • Are you set up to collect sales tax ??
  • Are you set up to pay sales tax ??

You have what it takes as far as gumption to start this business, but you seem to be in quicksand and sinking fast for the thinking it through end of it.

Your best way, would be to wholesale or broker this stuff, until you develop a market and see what kind of printers, plotters, software and inventory you need. Otherwise, rubbing.... or running by the seat of your pants..... may just not be a racing term.

:smile:

ccuddey

I do have software. Adobe ill. With onyx plug in

A graphic designer who has agreed to work on a per job bases.

Clientele. Many potential customers who have expressed interest in buying once I'm up and running.

An llc filing is in the works which should take care of the taxes part.

A website and business cards is in the works.

Have not thought about the business license until you mentioned it so i will get that sorted.

Bottom line is this. I'm not a guy that claims he knows it all. However, I'm willing to learn which is why I became a member here. To learn from those who have the knowledge. I asked some questions about a printer that I assumed many people here were using and have run into the same issues and could provide insight on my best course of action with the printer. Not whether or not I have the business acumen to succeed. I will not run away from starting business because im having issues with a used printer. I appreciate you trying to look out for a newbie like me but i think Ill be ok once i figure this printer out. I'm sure I'll have other questions pertaining to the business and when Tha time comes I won't hesitate to ask.

phototec

I do have software. Adobe ill. With onyx plug in

A graphic designer who has agreed to work on a per job bases.

Clientele. Many potential customers who have expressed interest in buying once I'm up and running.

An llc filing is in the works which should take care of the taxes part.

A website and business cards is in the works.

Have not thought about the business license until you mentioned it so i will get that sorted.

Bottom line is this. I'm not a guy that claims he knows it all. However, I'm willing to learn which is why I became a member here. To learn from those who have the knowledge. I asked some questions about a printer that I assumed many people here were using and have run into the same issues and could provide insight on my best course of action with the printer. Not whether or not I have the business acumen to succeed. I will not run away from starting business because im having issues with a used printer. I appreciate you trying to look out for a newbie like me but i think Ill be ok once i figure this printer out. I'm sure I'll have other questions pertaining to the business and when Tha time comes I won't hesitate to ask.

Wow, you have never run a printer, made a sign, or cut graphics, and you are building a web site!

You went out and purchased a USED clogged up printer that sat unused for a year (at least that's what you were told), and now you want us to tell you how to fix your printer. We don't let our printers sit idle for a year, that's not how to make money with your printer, anyway, because we don't let all the heads plug up for a year, not many of us will know what to tell you.

And before you have even figured out if the printer will work, you are creating a website and business cards, I think that is putting the cart before the horse.

I would have that printer up and running including having spare parts on hand and have been using and learning how to print with the printer for several months before I hung up a sign saying I was in the biz.

The only smart thing you have done so far is to get your money back from the crooks at PHD (read the reviews about them).

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?79038-Print-Head-Doctor

One thing you might try is an ultrasonic cleaner, to soak the heads, it cant hurt your bad heads.

:Welcome:

player

I also think you should ditch the printer and get something that works and is supported. The SP540 Rolands go for $7,500-$10,000 used. They are workhorses. They will print and cut and they have a free RIP.

You will need a laminator. You can get away with the Big Squeegee, but a $2000-$4000 laminator is a good thing to have.

Signlab is on sale this month.

ccuddey

Yes I did buy a used printer that was not in working condition. But I have every intention on getting a printer in working condition. This one or another. I will have one.

I knew about needing a laminator. I have seen a few that I'd be interested in just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

The print head doctor was something I asked about in my original post. I had seen the bad reviews but I have also seen good ones but most reviews good or bad were a little old.

I've buit many webites before and so buying a domain for 20 dollars and taking the 3-4 hours to build it is no big deal to me.

I think I made everyone fully aware in my title and in my first post That I was diving in hrad first. I will get up anf running one way or another. So running into problems now just helps me in the future. I get it all sorted before I have customers waiting on product. I'm going to a class to reach me the odds and ends taught by avery in February to help with some if the learning curves.

kheebl

Have you got the cutter sorted out yet? That's where I started with cut vinyl and sub out any printed stuff.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps we're all misinformed, or maybe you are, but no one has a job position in this place to hold each and every newcomer by the hand and coach them on the specific questions they ask.

We're all here to partake in serious minded people about this industry. Yes, this is an industry which the vast majority of us take........ very seriously.

You, come here..... buying junk nonetheless, and expect us to drop everything and treat you with kidd gloves, so you can get your monstrosity to work. You said in your opending post, you made this venture because it costs too much to have a professional do it. So, you want us to teach you how to bypass the professionals in your town and become a backyard hack.

Personally, I've given you much more ammunition to do this than you deserve, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's the new me. So far, on just about every level, you've failed miserably.

From here on out, let's just see how you insult and tell everyone else just how wonderful you are and can do this on your own. Wanna be a self made person, go right the fug ahead.

:corndog:

player

The printer is a big mistake in my humble opinion. Almost $2k to buy, them minimally $6k for heads. So for $8k-$10k, the printer might work.

Kottwitz-Graphics

You said in your opending post, you made this venture because it costs too much to have a professional do it. So, you want us to teach you how to bypass the professionals in your town and become a backyard hack.
[/INDENT]

+1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that read that. We get this at least once a week... I was hoping for some redeeming post, but nothing as yet. And I was really waiting for the first layout, and someone giving an honest answer, and then getting a snide response. ..

It's the new me. [/INDENT]

I miss the old Gino.... yes you didn't sugar coat things, and sometimes things that need to be said need to brutally honest.

phototec

Perhaps we're all misinformed, or maybe you are, but no one has a job position in this place to hold each and every newcomer by the hand and coach them on the specific questions they ask.

We're all here to partake in serious minded people about this industry. Yes, this is an industry which the vast majority of us take........ very seriously.

You, come here..... buying junk nonetheless, and expect us to drop everything and treat you with kidd gloves, so you can get your monstrosity to work. You said in your opending post, you made this venture because it costs too much to have a professional do it. So, you want us to teach you how to bypass the professionals in your town and become a backyard hack.

Personally, I've given you much more ammunition to do this than you deserve, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's the new me. So far, on just about every level, you've failed miserably.

From here on out, let's just see how you insult and tell everyone else just how wonderful you are and can do this on your own. Wanna be a self made person, go right the fug ahead.
:corndog:

Ata-boy, Gino let him have both barrels, the truth is he just wants to beat out the pro's in his town by doing it himself, how many times have we heard this?

"Hey, I want all you guy's on Signs101 to help me get this piece of sht printer working so I can screw my local sign guy out of his living". :ROFLMAO: