• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No More Gemini For Us

RyanFelty

I am completely frustrated with Gemini and will not be using them again....ever..... For an order I placed recently (and we have bought from them before and everything was fine) they did not send me the pin template that went up on the wall...no biggy I ask them to make one and send it to me...they say they cannot do this and I will have to make it myself. Okay, I understand somewhat but this is more work on my end now and this is 3 grand worth of letters. Maybe it is my fault for getting upset about that part of the issue so I will wear that one. The other part of the order is Oxidized Letters. All goes well and I put all my letters up and put low tack masking tape up to make sure the letters set up. Take all the tape off and two of the letters the tape took some of the patina of the face of the letter. NO OTHER LETTERS DID THIS and I tested the first letter to make sure the tape wouldn't be an issue. So when looking at the letter which were damaged there was definitely a lighter coating of the patina on the letters and it was almost like dust. NEVER would have held up outside. Call Gemini, Worst Customer Service ever and tell me there is no warranty for these letters that are a couple hundred dollars a piece. Gemini, stick by your product so I am able to as well. That's my rant and I am done. Will never use Gemini again...ever.

RyanFelty

They told me since I put tape on the face there was no guarantee...no others did this that's what makes me so angry. It was literally like dust on the letter. Almost like they did not clean them before Oxidizing. Just dealing with them and their customer service has been pretty brutal. The lady interrupted me like 5 times when I was trying to explain to her the issue. If anyone has suggestions for another vendor for the pin mount letters I would greatly appreciate it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am completely frustrated with Gemini and will not be using them again....ever..... For an order I placed recently (and we have bought from them before and everything was fine) they did not send me the pin template that went up on the wall...no biggy I ask them to make one and send it to me...they say they cannot do this and I will have to make it myself. Okay, I understand somewhat but this is more work on my end now and this is 3 grand worth of letters. Maybe it is my fault for getting upset about that part of the issue so I will wear that one. The other part of the order is Oxidized Letters. All goes well and I put all my letters up and put low tack masking tape up to make sure the letters set up. Take all the tape off and two of the letters the tape took some of the patina of the face of the letter. NO OTHER LETTERS DID THIS and I tested the first letter to make sure the tape wouldn't be an issue. So when looking at the letter which were damaged there was definitely a lighter coating of the patina on the letters and it was almost like dust. NEVER would have held up outside. Call Gemini, Worst Customer Service ever and tell me there is no warranty for these letters that are a couple hundred dollars a piece. Gemini, stick by your product so I am able to as well. That's my rant and I am done. Will never use Gemini again...ever.

A few questions :

• Did you request a template pattern ??
  • Was it on your confirming order sheet ??
  • Did you take pictures of before and after.... or at least after the tape left it's mark ??

We've been dealing with Gemini for decades and anything on their end which was done wrong, they stood behind 100%, including the shipping.
I had a full set of 18" Minnesota letters [about 40 letters], that were all the same color, but they looked odd. Turned out some letters were ever-so-slightly different in grain. Instead of trying to match anything, they sent me an entire new set free and no shipping within 2 days. And I didn't hafta return the old ones. They said it would cost them too much and what were they gonna do with them anyway ??

We've never had a problem with them standing behind their work. Sometimes it takes some extra talking, but they are good in that department as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for your problems. :covereyes:

CanuckSigns

My understanding of the patina finishes is that it is a "Organic" type of finish, by that I mean it will continue to patina over the years, what the letters look like now, will not be what the letters look like in 6 months, or 6 years from now. So even though your tape removed the patina in certain places, it will regenerate in a short time outdoors.

This is the same for the Cor-Ten finish, when you get the letters it looks like regular steel, but in 6 months of being outside it develops a nice rusted look.

this may be what they are talking about, in their eyes there is no defect with the letters, they will regain their patina in a short time outdoors. this is why it says in the catalogue that the patina finish will mark and surface it is installed on, because the rain and such will actually cause the green colour to run and stain anything around it (buildings, sidewalks etc.)

hope this helps

Billct2

They can't make a pattern once the letters are shipped, a PITA to do it yourself, but not the end of the world.
Like was said, are you sure it was on your order confirmation?
As for the patina, photos would help to see how bad it is.
I've always been pretty satisfied with Gemini.

Z SIGNS

Used Gemini for many years.Never had a problem.

You ordered a pattern and they did not send it and now they are saying they can't and won't?

They sent you letters that are faulty and are telling you too bad?

I find this hard to believe.
Got to be more to this story.

I hope you get it straightened out with them.

Billct2

From the Gemini catalog
Finish Notes:
All Patinas, by their very nature, will vary from letter to letter and order to order. These finishes will change in appearance over time depending on contact with moisture and temperature. Patinas can “bleed” onto the installation surface when installed outside. The only exception is the Nouveau Patina, which is a powdercoated, simulated Patina finish on an aluminum letter.

RyanFelty

A few questions :

• Did you request a template pattern ??
  • Was it on your confirming order sheet ??
  • Did you take pictures of before and after.... or at least after the tape left it's mark ??

We've been dealing with Gemini for decades and anything on their end which was done wrong, they stood behind 100%, including the shipping.
I had a full set of 18" Minnesota letters [about 40 letters], that were all the same color, but they looked odd. Turned out some letters were ever-so-slightly different in grain. Instead of trying to match anything, they sent me an entire new set free and no shipping within 2 days. And I didn't hafta return the old ones. They said it would cost them too much and what were they gonna do with them anyway ??

We've never had a problem with them standing behind their work. Sometimes it takes some extra talking, but they are good in that department as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for your problems. :covereyes:

hey Gino, in regards to your questions the answer for all 3 is yes. We have been dealing with them for a very long time now and they have been fine in the past. It comes down to their customer service in the end. I sent photos and described the situation and how it was only 2 of the letters that the patina pulled off. Also, how it seemed that it was very fragile and dust like. I would let it "regenerate" on its own but these letters are inside. They refuse to take anything back without us paying an arm and a leg and the lady I dealt with has me beyond disappointed with them. I don't bash companies but I hope they read this. I don't mind the template issue I am human it happens but stand behind your products. Maybe I am just dealing with the wrong person too I may have to call back and ask for someone else.

RyanFelty

I read the description of the patina letters on their website but it should not do this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 96

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The pattern is on you, the letters should be on them. They shouldn't flake like that. Call and talk to/ask for someone else.

RyanFelty

Send them an email.

We had an issue a few years back with 2' H cast brushed gold letters (clearcoat and finish was absolute crap) and after sending some pictures and demanding they be re-done, they sent a return shipping slip and away they went. They clearly re-finished the original letters but the second round was much better. Still not 100% to my satisfaction but acceptable given the viewing distance and install location.

Keep pushing, as professionally but firmly as you can, and they will give in. (they have to - otherwise if word of them not honoring their "lifetime" warranty gets out they will lose a lot of customers)

Document everything, and email the details and pictures and see what happens. Hopefully they will pull through like they should.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise Pat. I will be persistent.

d fleming

Have used them for years. Every once in a while they screw up but usually handle it. Just recently we have had a heck of a time getting them to make a repeat order. It's like they have newbies on the phone and they did indeed have a lady who was leaving that left a good size job hanging and put us behind schedule. Their customer service seems to need a reboot recently. Will still use them but they have been driving the wife nuts on a 26,000.00 dollar order and if they they don't step up they will at the least lose this particular order.

Quark

Merchant Member
I'd like to get a confirmation one more time please. Did you order the installation template? Does it show in the order history? And did they refuse to go back and do whatever it is necessary (not your concern really) to provide you with the missing template?

I run into few bad vendors my self. There fair and honest ends with the cost of fixing the mistake.

This is is upsetting

RyanFelty

Yes I did order the template and I was not clear enough with that. It was on the order form and I was going to ship the letters back so they could make the template but they refused. They sent me an outline of the letters and I has to place each one with smaller pegs and punch the letter through the paper to make where my holes should go. This was not a huge issue I was just hoping they would do it because I wanted to make sure everything was straight. The patina letters were very high in the air and each one had substantial weight (in a high traffic area as well) so I used low tack masking tape to just hold them for the silicone to set up and then the patina pulled off of only two. Like I said before I never had an issue as I see many of you haven't.... I must be talking to the wrong customer service agent that's all I can think.

CanuckSigns

OK after seeing the photos I take back my previous comments, they should be replacing those no questions asked.

Do you have a sales rep or are you just speaking to whoever answers the phone? We have a single contact person at Gemini who knows us and our orders inside out and has bent over backwards to make things right in the past.

rossmosh

My first thing is, why would you ever want Gemini's incredibly overpriced template anyway? If you don't have a printer, go to Kinkos or call up a friend in the industry and have them print out a template for you for about $10-20. I would say it's a good thing they didn't send you one. Also a quick explanation why Gemini can't make a template after is because they hand place most of the mounting points on their letters. I was surprised by this as I expected it be something at least marked while using the laser/cnc but evidently that isn't the case.

As for the letters, they should stand behind the work. I've never ordered that type of letter. I'm actually quite surprised they manufacture it that way. I'd expect them to patina them and then clear coat to seal the patina. That said, you need to speak with your regional sales rep. They will sort this out. You may have to spend a few bucks to ship it back to them, but I feel confident they'll fix the issue. I'd also discuss with them whether or not the letters can be clear coated. Seems like a janitor could ruin those letters pretty easily.

ams

I won't use them ever again for electrical signs, but for solid dimensional letters I will.