• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Node editing... it wears me out.

graywoulf

Is it just me or does any of you spend too much time cleaning up a traced object using the many tools Flexi has to offer? Even when a traced object looks good it still needs some tweaking and what make it harder to do is that the handles on let's say the "Optimize by Curve" tool are the same size and the same color as the nodes and the lines that are showing on the graphic outline. Even if I change the color of the outline to a highly contrasting color it still makes it hard to see what I am trying to work with. So I guess what I would like to know is are any of you dealing with the same thing or am I missing something in the way of tweaking my workspace in Flexi?

ABPGraphics

It's pretty monotonous work. I wish there was an easier way to do it but in my opinion it's about as simple as it gets. I mean drawing complex shapes like flames and what not takes forever but that's why you charge design time right?

mark-s

Nature of the beast, no tracing program will give you a perfect trace.
Depending apon how many traces I have done in a day sometimes I see those damn
nodes in my sleep.
mark-s

ddubia

I love it too Rex, for the same reasons. Do mine in Illustrator. Flexi certainly has many tools that seem great for the job and I do use Flexi a lot. But having worked in Illustrator for many years and Flexi for only a couple, when it comes to node editing I still feel more comfortable with Illustrator.

Steve C.

I actually find it enjoyable, even therapeutic, especially when I'm getting paid for it!

I find it therapeutic also, but not in flexi. What a pain in the backside.
Node editing in corel is a pleasure and far far easier than the tedious
controls in flexi. If you tweek your trace setting in flexi it is the best
trace program I have used. It's only redeeming quality.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I take my stuff into AutoCAD to do my node editing. It has way more object snaps and a mulititude of precision drawing tools. Let's not forget the handy Wacom tablet and pen...what a life saver.

JB

Malkin

We use Gerber & Illustrator... and I much prefer working on nodes in Gerber. I recently discovered you can increase the size of them for easier viewing/grabbing.

emo

Gerber node editing is a breeze for me personally. Corel is not bad and some effects are SO simple that Corel is my preference. Still trying to get a "handle" on node editing in Illy but perhaps that's the trouble - they're so damn small !!!

Techman

Whats node editing? I haven't done that in a very long time.
I just gave away my backup cutter. My main has not felt power in weeks.

I have vinyl in the closet that's been there for a couple of years.

I have not opened a clip art file for so long i forgot what is here.

My encad calls to me once a week just to say it is ready for another print job.

But I just got Corel X5 and noticed the book is completely different. Chapter 8 is on sign making. Chapter 12 is on book cover and illustration. I really like this. Chapter 14 is on logo design.

But it still cannot export DFX files in a usable format. And my cnc router just had its controller modified to run faster. I have a need for speed. And node editing is not speedy.

7oaks

If you spend too much time node editing why not send to Vector Doctor and do something else. pass cost on to consumer. I find him fast and fair priced.

Ken

Gene@mpls

I find it therapeutic also, but not in flexi. What a pain in the backside.
Node editing in corel is a pleasure and far far easier than the tedious
controls in flexi. If you tweek your trace setting in flexi it is the best
trace program I have used. It's only redeeming quality.

I enjoy it also- don't usually have time to really hunker down with it. Maybe
it is an old guy thing? I just noticed the avatars of SteveC and ddubia- are
you the same person? I think I could fit right into this lineup as well.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
If you spend too much time node editing why not send to Vector Doctor and do something else. pass cost on to consumer. I find him fast and fair priced.

Ken

Awesome idea!:tongue: Seriously. If someone sends me a file that is already vector for instance, I find it is much quicker to redraw from scratch rather than adjusting each node, adjusting control handles, removing nodes etc. Much quicker to redraw then fiddle with each node or group of nodes

OldPaint

corel is best............for this. wasnt always that way. the newer versions 10 and up have greatly improved over older versions. SIGN-LAB has always been one of the best for this.

graywoulf

Thanks for the input guys!

Well I'm glad to find out that I am not alone on this issue but I do appreciate every one's input and suggestions. I'm not much of a AI user but maybe I will give it's node editing capabilities a closer look based on the comments made here. I do not have Corel so that is out but not to be entirely wrote off for future reference. I have mentioned this thread to the design staff at SAI in hopes that they read the things you guys have said about the limited node editing capabilities in Flexi in hopes that they consider making some much needed upgrades to this area.:peace!:

Techman

I'm not much of a AI user but maybe I will give it's node editing capabilities a closer look based on the comments made here

You will hate it for sure.
The node points are nearly impossible to grasp if you can even see them. It will be revenge of the evasive nodes.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
You will hate it for sure.
The node points are nearly impossible to grasp if you can even see them. It will be revenge of the evasive nodes.

I use AI for every vector conversion. I have no problem editing & grabbing nodes. I am on a 23 inch monitor so maybe that helps