• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok you Apple Sheep !

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
These Mac vs. PC threads would be more interesting if the posts contained more in the way of specifics rather than the usual broadly brushed statements, stereotypes and myths. As great as Apple is doing in terms of its business numbers I think the company deserves some pretty serious criticism on how it's handling the creative professional market segment of its business. The company is more interested in iPhone and iPad sales growth rather than being concerned with the professional users who were with Apple from the beginning and with them in the 1990s when it looked like Apple could go out of business.

Apple has been gaining market share lately in computer hardware sales, primarily from the "halo effect" of booming iPad and iPhone sales. Apple has done what no other computer maker has managed to do: make its products work as a fashion accessory or status symbol. Lots of Americans like to give off the impression they're well off whether they are or not. Those slim, fashionable Apple products play into that.

IMHO, Apple is doing this to a fault -at least from the perspective of creative professional computer users. Final Cut X was a major goof. The very notion they could release that version with no backward compatibility to FCP 7 projects was just mind-blowing. It's as if Apple doesn't care about losing customers to Avid and Adobe.

Apple has reduced the number of desktops and notebooks it makes and offering fewer options on how to customize them. It's more expensive to let users have a wider variety of choices. Apple won't offer Blu-ray burners as options for products like the Mac Pro tower because they think it will hurt iTunes and Apple TV sales. So now virtually all enterprise level optical disc authoring now happens on PCs. The new Retina Display equipped Mac Book Pro is a highly suspect product in that it has virtually no user serviceable parts. The battery, RAM and just about everything else is all soldered into the case. If anything breaks it turns into a $2000+ door stop. But I suppose it's more important to make the product look good rather than be practical.

Apple may keep on making its stock price rise higher and higher. But I am troubled by some of the choices the company has made on the personal computing side of its business. As much money as Apple is making selling phones, pads and pods I don't think they'll even care if the traditional personal computing side of its business disappears. To me it seems like it's more of a pain to them than it's worth. There's even echos of this on the PC side too. Remember HP saying they were going to get out of the PC making business?

These electronics companies all want to be in the middle of selling products people replace every year or two. Countless numbers of people are doing just that with smart phones and tablets. When people buy personal computers they tend to hold onto them for numerous years. That turns off those bean counting business people.

CES020

It's always interesting that people that make signs for a living think they know how to run a high tech, multi-billion dollar company better than the people that have actually got them to a multi-billion dollar company.

I'd like to see some examples of what's so wrong with an apple myself. I can come up with a list of things I like about it. Tell me the list of things you don't like about it, other than "It costs too much for me".

signswi

Sure thing. I got my start in graphics doing user interface designs for operating systems and apps.

1) Dislike the windowing system, prefer how each app is "sandboxed" in Windows instead of the messy Apple approach of the menu bar shifting depending on which app is open and child windows being allowed to wander all over. I'm way too OCD for that mess.

2) Dislike some of the hardware choices, specifically the trackpad (seriously Jobs is dead put a second trackpad button on already) and the fact that they constantly come up with new proprietary connectors and cables that are extremely over priced. I also really dislike almost all (maybe all) of their screens are glossy. Hate glossy LCDs.

3) Dislike their control over their marketplaces and their policing of morals in said marketplaces. Dislike the EULA/TOS and pricing structures they force on developers to participate in said marketplaces.

4) Dislike their marketing campaigns. They very rarely invent anything, they're a company that polishes the inventions of others. That's great, it's a super useful thing to be for a company and they do it better than anyone in tech, but their marketing always comes off like they originated every tech innovation ever conceived.

5) Dislike iOS in just about every way but speed. It's super fast to use (and this is a big, big deal) but otherwise completely falls short of android in usability.

I could keep going for a long, long time but...this is a sign forum :p.

For reference, computers in my house:

1 MacBook Pro
1 IBM Thinkpad
2 Android (Droid 2, Droid X)
1 iPhone 5
4 PCs: 2 Windows 7, 2 Ubuntu. One of the Win 7 has an osX dual boot that rarely sees use for the odd graphics app or whatever. I have significant experience with every OS including oddballs like NeXT, OS/2, BeOS, etc.

CES020

1) Dislike the windowing system, prefer how each app is "sandboxed" in Windows instead of the messy Apple approach of the menu bar shifting depending on which app is open and child windows being allowed to wander all over. I'm way too OCD for that mess.

2) Dislike some of the hardware choices, specifically the trackpad (seriously Jobs is dead put a second trackpad button on already) and the fact that they constantly come up with new proprietary connectors and cables that are extremely over priced. I also really dislike almost all (maybe all) of their screens are glossy. Hate glossy LCDs.

3) Dislike their control over their marketplaces and their policing of morals in said marketplaces. Dislike the EULA/TOS and pricing structures they force on developers to participate in said marketplaces.

4) Dislike their marketing campaigns. They very rarely invent anything, they're a company that polishes the inventions of others. That's great, it's a super useful thing to be for a company and they do it better than anyone in tech, but their marketing always comes off like they originated every tech innovation ever conceived.

5) Dislike iOS in just about every way but speed. It's super fast to use (and this is a big, big deal) but otherwise completely falls short of android in usability.

I could keep going for a long, long time but...this is a sign forum :p.

For reference, computers in my house:

1 MacBook Pro
1 IBM Thinkpad
2 Android (Droid 2, Droid X)
1 iPhone 5
4 PCs: 2 Windows 7, 2 Ubuntu. One of the Win 7 has an osX dual boot that rarely sees use for the odd graphics app or whatever. I have significant experience with every OS including oddballs like NeXT, OS/2, BeOS, etc.

So no examples of what functions you don't like how it works, other than the windows thing, that I completely have no idea what you're talking about. Everything else was programmer/developer stuff that 99.99% of people that use computers don't deal with.

I personally LOVE the trackpad. I can't talk about overpriced connectors, I haven't had to buy any connectors.

Shall we start a list on what sucks about Windows? This could be a long thread. Point being, why not just let people have their opinions and enjoy what they enjoy, instead of trying to force someone to not like apple products?

slipperyfrog

God really will it never end. Nice way to start off. "Apple sheep". These threads are pointless. Fanbois on the right and fanbois on the left.

I have used both. Personally like PC for many reasons but don't care to list them here as the thread has gone into the Apple vs PC blackhole.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Attachments

• iSit.jpg
    iSit.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 84

Joe Diaz

Tell me the list of things you don't like about it, other than "It costs too much for me".
I've got one major one: It won't run CorelDRAW. After that, it won't run Versaworks. So that cuts out a major portion of how we make a living at our shop.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I am pro apple but I do wish they would pay more attention to their desktop Macpro. It is long in the tooth and way behind on the latest technology. It is not using the latest intel chips and is missing ports and features that their laptop and imac line have already implemented.

Supposedly they are shooting for 2013 for a REAL upadate to the cheese grater. I have the early 2008 model and Mountain Lion won't run on it. No big deal now but that means it is end of the line so as Adobe has increases its' minimums at some point I have no choice but to upgrade to a new machine.

If they drop the Macpro I will have no choice but to get an Imac or replace with a laptop but those are not as upgradeable

WildWestDesigns

I've got one major one: It won't run CorelDRAW. After that, it won't run Versaworks. So that cuts out a major portion of how we make a living at our shop.

And if it doesn't run CorelDraw it won't run EmbroideryStudio which cuts me out right there. That software runs everything from embroidery, sublimation to rhinestones.

mopar691

ya, I do not see the point buying a mac and running windows in it either. Why not just buy a windows based pc?

thewhiterhino

In the early 80's I made my living servicing computers and typesetters.
I went to Comdex in Las Vegas each year to see all the new hardware and programs that were being introduced. When the first MAC came out I went to the Apple Booth to find out how to get set up to service MACs. I was informed that only storefront retailers were allowed to service the MACs. I asked what that would take With that amount of extortion I declined their offer. Never have owned any of the apple products, but have tried to use a few and find they seemed rather right brained as far as operation but in a creative industry that is fine.
I just choose to use windows.
Ross