• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old sign painted font ID

ENTDesign

Do any of you sign painters recognize the font used in this old drug store sign (up at the top of the building, not the neon).

http://www.phillipdriscoll.com/cunninghams.gif

I don't know if it was a document style or an invention of the sign painter, but if any of you have seen it and could point me to a name or reference, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for looking.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do any of you sign painters recognize the font used in this old drug store sign (up at the top of the building, not the neon).

http://www.phillipdriscoll.com/cunninghams.gif

I don't know if it was a document style or an invention of the sign painter, but if any of you have seen it and could point me to a name or reference, I would appreciate it.

The term 'font' is even more meaningless when referring to a painted sign than it usually is. Every letter on a painted sign is a product of the hand of whomever painted it. No two sign writers will interpret any actual typeface in the same way. Even two of them following the same pounce pattern. A notable exception to this are, or rather were, billboard painters who didn't lletter but reproduced exactly what was in a grid square.

You might find a font file that kinda sorta looks like some hand painted effort or another but you'll never match exactly it because it only exists in one place. On that sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that’s just some ‘Walldog’s’ off the brush painting. Thick/thin letter with hats and feet.

That’s around the 40’s and as bob said, no one referred to it as fonts… it was all styles back then and most hand painters had about a dozen or so styles that they could letter on the fly at any size.

More important than your question in my opinion is what is really written on the ‘Water Tower’ LOL

And look……. No trash all over the streets and sidewalks….. what a time to live in…….

Geary

Just want to ditto the other posts.....and state the "closest thing" in a provided "font" is the best you can hope for when it comes to real sign painting :wink:.

Happy hunting! :thumb:

~Gear

Steve C.

With just a little effort you can alter Seagull Med to look like it... In my day
we called 'um Letter Styles or Alphabets.

Attachments

• cunningham.s font.jpg
    cunningham.s font.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 164

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know..... everyone's heard of Mack water ??

I thought it said 'Fire Truck' You know, where they used to fill up the tankers for the next fire. Yeah, that's the ticket. They used 'Avery' vinyl and some of the letters blew off. :rolleyes:

onesource

Just a sign painters personal style, you'll just have to get close or duplicate the best you can. Us old sign painters can just look at it and paint it but getting it to vinyl is a little different.
Good Luck!

Steve C.

As you see in my earlier post, I have digitized it pretty close. If you need it
for cutting, I can send you the vector file. Corel or AI. PM me if you want it,
no charge.

ENTDesign

Steve C, thank you for the offer, but I am only trying to determine if this was a replication of a documented lettering style (a better term than font I agree, Bob, but most people are sloppy and use the term font incorrectly, or at least differently now-a-days, and typeface is definitely incorrect for this usage).

Although I have a number of books of lettering styles, most are for caligraphy and I do not have any of the sign related books, so thank you Jillbeans for posting the links.