• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One clogged head? Roland sp540v

Johanswe

Hey! I've had problems for a month or so with the red and yellow printhead.

have push cleaning through the head yesterday, and it was clogged but got it so it worked great again.

but today when I was going to print, the red color was clogged again.

does not have original Roland color, but has used the paint for several years without problems and black and cyan has never been clogged.

has new dampers and cap tops.

what could the problem be? //JOHAN

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check the nipple on the manifold to make sure it's not cracked or broken. If that looks good, swap the position of the yellow and magenta dampers and run a cleaning cycle. That will tell you more about where the issue might be.

Johanswe

nipples are not broken. i swap and do a medium cleaning, its printing yellow where I put the magenta damper, and nothing from the other.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You know different colours on the ink have different compositions. If some colours never clog it doesn't mean the other couldn't.
Could be a bad batch of ink, maybe some issues in those colours.
I'm just saying, you never know...

Johanswe

yes.
I wonder if you know how refill cartridges work? I have sucked with the syringe and got magenta, but then the yellow color disappeared.

After a bit of thinking I removed some air thing on magenta and yellow cartridges and the color works fine now. there was pressure in the system, should it be?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
nipples are not broken. i swap and do a medium cleaning, its printing yellow where I put the magenta damper, and nothing from the other.

Your cap top is not working properly or the tubes are clogged then. Did you get an OEM cap top or is it 3rd party? 3rd party ones tend not to work. You can also take a syringe and flush the pump tubes to make sure they aren't clogged.

Johanswe

I have 3rd party. The pump Tubes is not clogged.

should there be pressure in the system for the paint? when I removed the "little things" (attach picture) it sounded like you were opening a carbonated drink, with them on it felt like the paint was pulling away from the dampers, and with them gone I got paint directly when I used the syringe.

Johanswe

E78E9CD3-2F4F-4E27-A99C-280D577DA48C.jpeg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It shouldn't be pressurized. A normal cartridge has all of the air taken out which makes it so it doesn't pull back on the system as the ink level drops. Refillable cartridges like yours should have a small hole in them to allow air in so that the same problem doesn't happen. Maybe yours is clogged? Try running it with the plug and see if that helps at all.

Johanswe

after I removed the plugs it worked really well. find no hole for air on these, if it is not the things over the plugs that are air intakes?

Johanswe

can you help me again? 2-3 months ago my roland started making a red line around the decals. head alignment is still good.

the red "line" on the decal only EXIST if I make a black square or black text.
for example, if I make a yellow or red square, there is no red line. I post a picture below.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Did you replace the caps with Roland OEM caps? This should be your very next step.

Eliminate debris by checking underneath the head carriage for anything hanging down. Does this only occur in areas of heavy ink coverage?

Because appears it is only magenta, I don't think it's debris, but the magenta channel of the head. Do you know how to get into service mode? If so, go into the service menu - test print - fill test. Observe how it prints, watching the passes as they print. Also, look at the edges as it prints. The edges should crisp, even and clean. If you see any back and forth movement of the image, then your bidirectional alignment is off. If you see overspray like in your prints, then the magenta channel is probably going and you will need a new head. But do the first 2 things before buying a head.

Johanswe

hello! I have made some squares with black, blue, yellow, red and it looks the same on the red squares. but I will test in service mode when I will use it next time. THANKS!

Johanswe

I have two decals that are almost the same, the difference between them is that one has a black background and white text, the other has a green background and white text. the one with a black background is filled with magenta and the green one is nothing. (it is the white text that has magenta in it)

some days there will be nothing and some a lot.

Johanswe

not oem capps.
Made "fill" in service mode now and it's like the decals on the red.
And it is in line with the other colors.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Bad head. Fill test is the definitive test for printheads on the Rolands. It is the same as printing in Standard mode of most Roland profiles - 720x720, 8 pass, standard speed, bi-directional, 100% ink output. This is where you are able to see each channel's behavior under normal printing conditions.