• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One-Shot paint on aluminum?

Rusty Sign

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll scuff them up with a scotch brite pad wipe dust off and then spray two coats of Ronan. The signs are 18"x24". City code wont allow vinyl prints. It's a custom mixed light blue color for the background, then I'll cut out a mask for the words which will be white. Before I do this though I need to cut 2" radius inverted corners so I appreciate the tip about primer so I can touch up the cut edges.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
You say "custom color" but then say Ronan or One Shot. Neither are custom....how about printing and laminating for a "custom" color?

that just might be the dumbest thing i've ever seen on here....

Jillbeans

^Ditto to the max...what a maroon.

I'd use the oil-based Ronan.
I no longer use 1Shot.
Really let it dry well if you are using a mask because you might pull up the paint.
Love...Jill

Billct2

Put the mask on first (if the blanks are white) then lightly scuff, wipe and spray. Peel the masked letters and you're done.

Has anyone used Zinsser Cover-Stain oil base primer on aluminum bare, scuffed, or otherwise? The spec sheet and can label say it works on all metals including aluminum. I'm just curious if anyone has anything to say regarding using something like that over the toxic zinc chromate primer or etching primers.

AUTO-FX

(SherWilliams has DTM paints. Direct-to-metal. Like mentioned above, it's like farm implement paint, industrial grade. Take a color swatch to the store with you. They'll match it for you)

Easy button.

visual800

You must be young. Years ago, 1Shot had no real blues and it was nearly impossible to get a bright blue.... bulletin or lettering. You couldn't get greens, purples and many other colors which needed blue in the recipe. I could get a better green from the yellows and blacks.

what are you talking about? brilliant blue and magenta made an awesome purple. greens came in emerald and dark I could mix across the pms chart with what one shot offered. sometimes mixing brilliant and process sblues made cool colors. were you limited to what colors you could get I guess im not following

round man

before 1985 if you used many of the sign enamels out there there were problems when you mixed certain colors with the end result being a muddy mess. I gotta go with Gino on this one the colors most of the people know in use today are recent additions to our trade as the purity of the pigments you younger generation sign folk are used to were not always the norm,... you guys are very fortunate

visual800

round man I do apologize to Gino for the comment he did not specify that far back, I retract my comment respectively sir

Stuckup

LOL, SIR, Respect, none here in this country. Round Man and 800, you just just gave me proof people can work it out. Pity you all didnt fight, no entertainment there.