• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One-Shot paint on aluminum?

Rusty Sign

I have some white aluminum sign blanks that I need to paint with a custom color. This is new to me. Can I use Ronan (acrylic enamel) or should I use One-Shot, or something else? I prefer Ronan and on the label it says it can be used for aluminum, I'm just wondering what will last the longest?

Williams Signs

I always scuff the aluminum . The apply Zisser Bullseye 123 primer. I have used Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer. After that you can use a good latex exterior paint. I use SW Super paints. I have also used Rust O Leum oil based paints over the zisser. You can also use Farm Empliment Paint. Have also used Dupont automotive paint. You could use Ronan or One Shot. But the latex is cheaper and just as durable. It is all personal preference. You just have to make sure to get a good primer on there.

OldPaint

DUH....if you have WHITE aluminum sign blanks.................that tells me they are PAINTED WHITE(or white powder coated).................NOT BARE ALUMINUM!!!!!!
BARE ALUMINUM, will not hold paint.
i have painted same type of white aluminum with AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL. will give you same finish that your vehicle has.

Marlene

painting white baked aluminum? rough it up some with wet sandpaper or something else that won't leave scratch marks and put down thin coats of paint, not one big thick one and it will last. I've never used Ronan so I can't say for sure with that one, but One Shot will be OK

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You say "custom color" but then say Ronan or One Shot. Neither are custom....how about printing and laminating for a "custom" color?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya just have to 'Scare' the aluminum, with some lite sandpaper or just a scotch pad. That will give it enough tooth or bite, but make sure you clean the dust off real-real good. Since you are new at it, get yourself a 'tack rag' and run it in one direction and slowly take the dust off. Then use Ronan or 1Shot bulletin and try to do it in two very thin coats. Too thick and it will crinkle or what they call orange peel and not dry well at all.

Baz

You say "custom color" but then say Ronan or One Shot. Neither are custom....how about printing and laminating for a "custom" color?

Ahem ... You can mix up different colors together and end up with a custom color ...

OldPaint

baz, custom colors, is one of those terms that has taken on a different meaning with the new people in this business. judging by OP's question, the give away sentence is: THIS IS NEW TO ME............. kinda doubt he has the knowledge to mix one shot or ronan colors to get a "custom color."

Baz

I hear you Joe !

I know that since i don't have a professional color calibration system in place that mixing paint together will give me garbage quality. But hey .. .That is how i was taught :ROFLMAO:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think both of you are missing the boat. When it comes to aluminum panels... anything not red, blue, green yellow or black is pretty much considered 'custom'. :ROFLMAO:

Years ago it was hard mixing 1Shot because of their lack of colors, but today, you can pretty much get just about any custom color you need without ending up with mud.

visual800

scuffing with scotchbrite will suffice no need for all that primer. One shot will NOT hold color over time one shot is crap. I would spray with latex semigloss it will hold color better and last longer than one shot.....and if hes new than he can have anything mixed

Billct2

You don't say how big, that would be the decider
Small get covered with vinyl
Also a rattle can is good if not too large

Baz

Years ago it was hard mixing 1Shot because of their lack of colors, but today, you can pretty much get just about any custom color you need without ending up with mud.

I know that mud color very well ... When we had a hard time getting a color we would mix in some enamel screen printing inks as well. Never had much trouble mixing pantone colors by eye. (well ... light beige and light greys could be hard).

Techman

bare aluminum needs zinc chromate primer. Nothing else wiil stick. AL oxidizes under paint. That is why that special primer is needed.

OR rustoleum aluminum primer..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
you all must be really bad at mixing...only get mud if ya dont know what you are doing

You must be young. Years ago, 1Shot had no real blues and it was nearly impossible to get a bright blue.... bulletin or lettering. You couldn't get greens, purples and many other colors which needed blue in the recipe. I could get a better green from the yellows and blacks.

Painting bare Aluminum needs some type of etching primer!

You guys keep bringing up this bare aluminum stuff. He's talking about regular old baked on enamel finished aluminum.
And if they are small enough blanks that you can use a rattle can, you don't need to scare them at all. There is so much lacquer and thinners in those cans, it will stick to metal like crazy. You only have to prep the surface if you're using regular paint out of a real can with a lid. :wink: