• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Our A/C just went out.................

Yesterday around 3PM our air conditioning unit died on us and we cant get anyone out until after the holiday. My question is, to what extent would you guess that 4-5 days of 85+ degree in house temperature, effect my vinyl?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Probably the start capacitor on the condenser/compressor. Take it out and go to an ac supply house for a new one. Theyre about $10. I keep an extra at home and in the office.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Ours was fried from last Friday-this Monday. Everything was super humid so we didn't print or mask anything Monday. We laminated without issue on Monday. AC was back on Monday at 5 and by the next morning everything was pretty much back to normal. We have a few large dehumidifiers that run all the time around our shop year round.

Billct2

Heat isn't as much as an issue as humidity. Keep a fan on so at least the air is circulating

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ideally get one with a drain line you can route outside, so you are not relying on a worker to check and empty the reservoir... It never gets forgotten about for just one day.

Yea, most will have a hose hookup and you can just attach a garden hose to it.

You can also rent window a/c units by the week from furniture rental places. Our friend from church had hers go out last night and we have 2 spare window units we took from our rent house that we let her borrow.

rjssigns

Why not just fix it? Its not rocket science.

If you don't know what you're doing best left to the pros. 220v feed will kill you. Then theres the low voltage side that can cause weird issues.

Like pops always said: "If you don't know what it does don't touch it".

Notarealsignguy

Some people say things just because they can. (signs 101)
I fix mine everytime theres a problem. Its part of being self sufficient that keeps you up and running and its simple stuff that can be applied to all sorts of other issues you encounter. I keep capacitors on hand for all of the single phase motors in my shop so a $10 part wont put me down a week while I wait for someone to show up. Maybe if people would try it a little, you wouldnt see so many stupid questions on here.

ikarasu

Our printers aren't in a heat controlled area. We print and use them fine all day. My home printers In my garage... Latex 560, I just did 5 rolls a day on it for a week straight. It was so hot and humid in the garage you couldn't be in it for more than 5 minutes. I ended up throwing a dehumidifier / portable ac in after the first few days, just incase... But a few days of it being hit and humid shouldn't affect your vinyl, unless you see it sweating.

Jeremiah

I fix mine everytime theres a problem. Its part of being self sufficient that keeps you up and running and its simple stuff that can be applied to all sorts of other issues you encounter. I keep capacitors on hand for all of the single phase motors in my shop so a $10 part wont put me down a week while I wait for someone to show up. Maybe if people would try it a little, you wouldnt see so many stupid questions on here.
It's a Businessman who can keep their business and life going thru thick and thin. Always thinking about options they can adapt to without asking someone else to fix it. But I think it's great that a Newbie asks questions to learn. My family would expect us to search out options. Father was an electrical contractor , I was set up to touch 110 and 220 live many times . Never got Hurt .

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Our friend fixed their AC. The condensation pan's drain got clogged with algie and it shut off the unit. I never knew they had that feature. Simple fix though with youtube.

Notarealsignguy

Our friend fixed their AC. The condensation pan's drain got clogged with algie and it shut off the unit. I never knew they had that feature. Simple fix though with youtube.
Yeah you should vacuum the line out every spring and pour a little bleach down the pipe (not in the drain pan). Our switch doesnt work and the water backs up into a bedroom and messed up 1 of our kitchen cabinets. We had a snake plug it up a few months ago, it was nasty.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Ideally get one with a drain line you can route outside, so you are not relying on a worker to check and empty the reservoir... It never gets forgotten about for just one day.

the smartest thing is to use a little giant condensate pump. the hose can go right into the pump, which can discharge outside, into a sink, solving that problem practically forever
you may not need a condensate pump above ground, but they are a life saver in basements, for example

peerlessdani

But you don't know that is what the problem is. Ours went out and it took the tech 2 days to figure out the issue and it was the wiring that's inside the walls. I have had mine go out at home and it was a $200 part that I knew nothing about.

Notarealsignguy

But you don't know that is what the problem is. Ours went out and it took the tech 2 days to figure out the issue and it was the wiring that's inside the walls. I have had mine go out at home and it was a $200 part that I knew nothing about.
So youre saying to sit back and do nothing instead because a simple fix might not be the problem?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't think HVAC is all that hard... look at the type of people that come out to fix it. Looks like they teach that stuff in a prison classroom.