• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our New Shop

klingsdesigns

Have a few questions in our shop area it will all be osb. We want to paint it all before conduit goes up. What does everyone recommend for paint, color, prep and actual painting. I have access to sprayer if that is what we should use. Tried searching ways to paint osb online and everyone has different ways and kinds of paint to do it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some people say to prime it first, but you can use regular top coat and give it two coats and then a third coat with the color of your choice. I believe with the makeup of this product, an oil based paint would be better. According to the area ya hafta paint, I guess rollers would suffice, unless you're doing like 10,000 sq ft, than maybe an airless sprayer.

equippaint

Id install it smooth side out and definitely an oil based primer so you don't risk swelling any of the chips. You could pre-prime it too. Also think that an airless and back rolling will be the easiest, it's going to suck up some material.

klingsdesigns

So oil primer white. Spray then back roll. Think i will have to do two layers of that since it will soak in so much. Then one or two coats of top coat? I dont have to do the ceiling as it will be white pole metal sheets. 16 foot walls 50x24 and 30x24 are the sizes of areas.

klingsdesigns

Also its a one year lease so i dont want to drop too much money. I am sure i will be there for 3 years though. I want everything to look really clean and professional.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
When I bought my building 11 years ago it needed some serious paint. The building was owned by a plumber, he had a dozen storage shelves built out of OSB. I didn't need them but I did need a room for my printers so I took them apart and built a room out of them. Bough mis-tint interior latex from sherwin williams for $4 a gallon and painted the entire shop of about 4000 sq ft. Of course you can't be picky on colors, still looks good to this day. I wouldn't waste time or money with oil based primer or sprayer. A nappy roller and cheap latex will be fine.

equippaint

When I bought my building 11 years ago it needed some serious paint. The building was owned by a plumber, he had a dozen storage shelves built out of OSB. I didn't need them but I did need a room for my printers so I took them apart and built a room out of them. Bough mis-tint interior latex from sherwin williams for $4 a gallon and painted the entire shop of about 4000 sq ft. Of course you can't be picky on colors, still looks good to this day. I wouldn't waste time or money with oil based primer or sprayer. A nappy roller and cheap latex will be fine.
The proper procedure to paint osb is with oil based primer. If youre ok with potentially having random areas swell and ruin it then by all means save a buck and go buy garbage paint. Once its primed you can use latex paint.
How is using a sprayer over a roller wasting time? That makes no sense at all.

rossmosh

Serious question: Are you an active painter? When was the last time you were in the paint world?

The reason I ask I had a painter in the other day and I was talking about latex and oil and long story short was: Latex is used for the vast majority of his work and on a few things here and there he breaks out oil based paints. I've also gotten the same reply when I walk into the two paint shops I visit for supplies.

If this was my job, I'd buy the cheapest interior latex paint I could buy and go ahead and spray 2 coats and be done with the job. The paint is going to stick to the OSB and I always assume 2 coats even though in a shop environment, you could very likely get away with 1.

equippaint

Serious question: Are you an active painter? When was the last time you were in the paint world?

The reason I ask I had a painter in the other day and I was talking about latex and oil and long story short was: Latex is used for the vast majority of his work and on a few things here and there he breaks out oil based paints. I've also gotten the same reply when I walk into the two paint shops I visit for supplies.

If this was my job, I'd buy the cheapest interior latex paint I could buy and go ahead and spray 2 coats and be done with the job. The paint is going to stick to the OSB and I always assume 2 coats even though in a shop environment, you could very likely get away with 1.
Serious answer, I actively own a painting business with 9 employees. So the last time I was in the paint world was yesterday because I have a meeting this morning. The op asked how to do it which to me meant that he wanted to do it properly.
You guys get all bent about people doing hack sign work or not doing things right but outside of your own trade you cant see the irony.

rossmosh

Serious answer, I actively own a painting business with 9 employees. So the last time I was in the paint world was yesterday because I have a meeting this morning. The op asked how to do it which to me meant that he wanted to do it properly.
You guys get all bent about people doing hack sign work or not doing things right but outside of your own trade you cant see the irony.

That's why I asked. I wasn't sure if you were an ex-paint guy that's now a sign guy or a current paint guy. People pulling from knowledge from 15 years ago will often suggest oil based paint because 15 years ago they were very common. As we all know, latex is now the most popular paint to use. It's important to put things into context.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
How is using a sprayer over a roller wasting time? That makes no sense at all.

I assume the OP has about the same experience with a sprayer as me and most of the world, almost none. The few times I have used one they were nothing but a pain in the ash. Then you have to clean it, which is a pain in the ash.

Slapping on a nappy roller, which I have readily available, a roller, which I have and a broom handle for the roller, which I have, Is much easier than an airless sprayer and oil based paint.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't see any reason to use oil based paint, none, ZERO

equippaint

I assume the OP has about the same experience with a sprayer as me and most of the world, almost none. The few times I have used one they were nothing but a pain in the ash. Then you have to clean it, which is a pain in the ash.

Slapping on a nappy roller, which I have readily available, a roller, which I have and a broom handle for the roller, which I have, Is much easier than an airless sprayer and oil based paint.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't see any reason to use oil based paint, none, ZERO
If you followed the simple rule of: god gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk you may learn something at some point in your life.
As for a paint sprayer, your inability to drop a tube in a bucket and pull a trigger does not surprise me one bit.
You say you have no experience with it. So why do you feel compelled to give people advice on stuff you admittedly know nothing about? Im done with this one.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
If you followed the simple rule of: god gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk you may learn something at some point in your life.
As for a paint sprayer, your inability to drop a tube in a bucket and pull a trigger does not surprise me one bit.
You say you have no experience with it. So why do you feel compelled to give people advice on stuff you admittedly know nothing about? Im done with this one.

You gave your advice, I gave mine....why so angry bro? use that god given rule of love thy neighbor.

I think a sprayer is a waste of time and I think oil paint is too..... get over it.

rjssigns

Airless sprayer and the cheapest latex paint you can find. Hint: look for the 5 gallon pails.

I run a Binks Falcon and have done a lot of work with it. Best way to knock out square footage quickly.

klingsdesigns

I know it would probably be a waste. But is it an option to prime. Then spray texture drywall mud, and then paint over that? Didnt know if that would get rid of some of the texture on the panels. Mostly i am doing it for more light as the ceilings are so tall, and want to make it look professional.

equippaint

I wouldn't, it would be hard to get it to come out right. I'd also be worried that the OSB would suck up the water in it before it dried although I think 1 side is treated with a wax or something so it can get rained on a little when sheathing houses.
Google some pictures of painted OSB walls and see what you think. It should be fine in a shop, an office not so much. Why don't you just sheetrock it?

klingsdesigns

The office and bathroom are sheet rocked. I would rock it all if i wasnt renting. I will probably just paint it all white and call it good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since you are renting a year, possibly 3 years, I would not fix up the property beyond what my stay was gonna be. No sense improving their building. I might re-think using the cheap latex, now that you've mentioned it being a rental.

klingsdesigns

Since you are renting a year, possibly 3 years, I would not fix up the property beyond what my stay was gonna be. No sense improving their building. I might re-think using the cheap latex, now that you've mentioned it being a rental.

I have a feeling we will outgrow it in less than three years.