• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our new website is up and running!

Dan Antonelli

Hey Joey............

Based upon what Doug has said.... do you mean you are using peoples' work that you haven't gotten permission to use ??

Isn't that a bit forward ?? I thought one had to get written permission to use any or all parts of their customer's ad campaigns of any sorts.

Joe designed the site --- (which rocks!)

Dan Antonelli

Joe one thing - the case studies seemed a bit odd to navigate (and I found few broken links too FYI). I clicked on the image, expecting to see a series of photos from that particular project, but then it only had one image. Yet if I clicked the text on the left, then I got a different page, which had multiple photos on the bottom. Maybe they can click to same page?

Might be cool to have case studies separated by industries, too.

I'd like to learn more about the team, and meet some of the crew. I know people comment a lot about that on our site. Seems odd to not have an 'about us' page, or meet the crew....

I know you have the icon on top, but I still would like to have the company name on top of every page (but thats just me)

Looking good though pal---- oodles of work went into it and it shows....

Joe Diaz

Joe one thing - the case studies seemed a bit odd to navigate (and I found few broken links too FYI). I clicked on the image, expecting to see a series of photos from that particular project, but then it only had one image. Yet if I clicked the text on the left, then I got a different page, which had multiple photos on the bottom. Maybe they can click to same page?
You know what I think you are right, that is probably what I should do.

Might be cool to have case studies separated by industries, too.
That will be something that might end up happening when I have enough case studies that would warrant multiple sections, otherwise you might click on the lets say "municipal" section and I would only have one case study. I probably wont make a case study for every job we do, so it might take a while for us to get there. I also want to add more information on those case studies. They are kind of sparse on content right now.

I'd like to learn more about the team, and meet some of the crew. I know people comment a lot about that on our site. Seems odd to not have an 'about us' page, or meet the crew....
You know, we have that content on our other site, and I thought about putting it here also, however, we keep a close eye on our analytics and that part of our other site doesn't get enough traffic to make it a necessity at this point in time. That being said this site is pretty easy to add additional content like that, so when we get a chance, I may add that content too because I don't think it hurts to have it.

I know you have the icon on top, but I still would like to have the company name on top of every page (but thats just me)
Yeah that was a risk I was willing to make. Again, this site is about trying new things. It is kind of at the top on every page on that background graphic.

Looking good though pal---- oodles of work went into it and it shows....
Thanks Dan, I appreciate it. Sorry we interupted your poker game earlier this month. :wink::Big Laugh

TheSellOut

Wow Joe...that looks amazing and really showcases the work that you and your family produce!! I didn't mind the tumbling blocks and had a lot of fun playing with them! and that background design is sick!

One thing that I noticed that I thought might be beneficial to your site is when you click to go to your Flickr gallery it takes you away from your site instead of popping up a new window.

BTW, I never did tell you what a pleasure it was to meet and talk with you, along with everyone else here that met up, at the AC Show! It really was one of the highlights of the show for me. And thanks for your comment on my website idea, I have a lot to figure out with it and everything you said made a lot of sense. I noticed that at your seminar that you have a great way of explaining yourself!

Mason

The blocks Joe... besides that, outstanding, even with that.. Im partial to Flash so the blocks while slightly annoying arent really a stumbling block for me.. :) nice as usual!

grampa dan

Nice site Joe. I'm not a fan of flash as you know... I simply find it distracting. Bouncing doodads and music aren't necessary in my view - especially for a site and work as fine as yours. The rest of the site is outstanding.

Keep up the good work.

-grampa dan

Deaton Design

In one of those people that like plain things, and flashy things too. You went outside the box here Joe. The blocks I thought were genius. Not only can you move them around, you can click on them and see the logo. This not only showcases your logo design capabilities, it also showcases what you can do as a web designer. I love it. Its a keeper in my book.:)

Jim Doggett

I like it! And I'm not a fan of Flash sites in general. But that's a really sexy implementation, IMO. Well done, Joe!!!!!

PromoGuyTy

Simply Impressive.

Very cool site!

I agree on adding the "about me" page.

A little torn on the blocks.

The more I play with them, the more I like them.

I say keep 'em.

Joe Diaz

In one of those people that like plain things, and flashy things too. You went outside the box here Joe. The blocks I thought were genius. Not only can you move them around, you can click on them and see the logo. This not only showcases your logo design capabilities, it also showcases what you can do as a web designer. I love it. Its a keeper in my book.:)

Bingo, that is what I was going for. This whole site is a big experiment, where we test out new things and push ourselves to learn. Our diazsignart.com site is still our true sign shop's website. When it comes time to redo that site I will take much of what I have learned here and implement it there.

The whole point of this website is to be different and to create a memorable, more unique experience, and as you say to show off what we can do with a website as the visitor browses through our work.

The funny thing about flash is this: for the most part, it isn't flash that people don't like, it is anything that deviates from the standard web browsing experience that people have a hard time coping with. To prove my point, I noticed that not one person here commented on the many other implementations of flash on this site. In fact, if you weren't looking (ie: looking at the source), I would bet that many couldn't pick out what is flash on this site.

All of that being said, I realize the importance of creating a user friendly experience in most cases trumps creating a memorable experience, so I will try something new for the gallery. However, I won't completely scrap all the work I put into the existing gallery, because we have received a lot of positive feedback as well. I want others to be able have fun with that too.

LOL - no problem buddy. Took me a while to figure out who it was at first. Normally, I'd have been sleeping if you called me that late (I think it was 10 LOL).

You know, before Gary called we discussed the fact that it might be too late, but ultimately we decided to call. We figured if you were sleeping it would be punishment for not coming to the show. It was after all in your home state.:Big Laugh

grampa dan

Why does stuff have to move?

As you know Joe I'm not at all a fan of moving stuff on a web page. Clicking on a small version of something and then having to close pages or images to look at something else is a pain. I've come to the conclusion that people don't go very far when forced to navigate a site this way.

Your work is so awesome I'd love to see it displayed in a straightforward way. No clicking and searching... just show me the content.

-grampa dan

Joe Diaz

As you know Joe I'm not at all a fan of moving stuff on a web page. Clicking on a small version of something and then having to close pages or images to look at something else is a pain. I've come to the conclusion that people don't go very far when forced to navigate a site this way.

Your work is so awesome I'd love to see it displayed in a straightforward way. No clicking and searching... just show me the content.

-grampa dan

As you know, there is no way I can build a site that everyone will think is the ideal type of site.

It's different strokes for different folks. There are also a lot of people out there that don't like scrolling down an extremely long(or tall) website to see pictures. They would much rather have it all there in front of them as thumbnails and pick out what they want to see close up, rather than scrolling down and down and down through the entire collection of photos before they get to what they want.

I see this gallery as the best of both worlds. You can either pick from thumbnails, or once you are in the expanded view, click next or previous to see the next slide. That seems extremely straightforward to me.

As far as movement, I don't think there is so much movement that it could be considered annoying or difficult to understand for the average visitor. You preach about creating far from average signs. Signs that are anything but ordinary and leave lasting impressions. I happen to belong to the camp of people that think that sites can be more then just the ordinary average everyday site.

In my case the content is what I am trying to sell, but the way I display the content is also what I am trying to sell. If I simply just did what the average everyday web designer did, what separates me from them?

fmg

I like it and it's clever.It seems like it is missing something and I am sure you will nail it!