• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

oval shaped magnets

we get asked quite abit for round or oval shaped small magnets. the sqaure ones we cut with a standard ruler blade type set up, real easy. the oval/round ones we sub out. however, what would be a good way for us to do it? would the only way to do this be a die cutting machine? if so, what should we be looking at? costs for the machine and anything else involved. are the dies expensive to purchase etc.
or is it a case of these things are quite expensive and were better off just subbing them out still. i know it depends on how many we sell etc. we don't sell thousands and thousands all the time, its usually 500 hundred to 1000 a time seems to be.
i know someone said they were using a plotter just for cutting out magnets, but wouldn't that damage the strips and blade if your constantly cutting out the magnets?!??

ok, yeah, got yeah! thanks man. how are you lining up the print and the cheap plotter to cut the shapes out then? crop marks? wouldn't it need to have the optical eye registration for that?

showcase 66

I cut them on a plotter. I picked up a cheap Chinese cutter just for doing magnets on.
Best $300 I ever spent!

That really works huh. I am going to have to give that a try. I have 2 of them sitting in the closet. I have been getting calls for football helmets or baseball helmets lately.

Got me thinking...

thought maybe thats what you were doing, cutting the blanks and then laying down the vinyl.....but figured hay, maybe you were doing it with crop marks. so i'm guessing the best place to get said cheap plotter is ebay right?

gabagoo

I have done them on the Edge but that gerber Edge ready magnetic material is pretty pricey. Depending on what plotter you use to cut with you may have to lay premask over exposed metal so the magnetic material flows smoothly

omgsideburns

I don't know anything about cost, I'm just a graphics guy.

The edge magnetic isn't bad for smaller mags like cheerleaders, footballs, business cards, etc.. Don't know if I would trust it for door mags as it's kind of light (we use magnum for those). Holds up pretty good. Works great, cuts easy, doesn't dull the blade on my envision. Score and tear out. Just watch it to make sure it doesn't bind up if you let your material stack when you print.

gabagoo

I don't know anything about cost, I'm just a graphics guy.

The edge magnetic isn't bad for smaller mags like cheerleaders, footballs, business cards, etc.. Don't know if I would trust it for door mags as it's kind of light (we use magnum for those). Holds up pretty good. Works great, cuts easy, doesn't dull the blade on my envision. Score and tear out. Just watch it to make sure it doesn't bind up if you let your material stack when you print.

Apparently the gerber magnetic does have the strength for vehicle use...or so they told me many years ago...

cgsigns_jamie

My buddy cuts 'em on his laser for me.. I print and apply the vinyl, then load it on the laser and let it rip. Perfect every time!

Typestries

We either print and apply, then rout em out or flatbed print then rout em out. Depending on workflow volume and what's on em.