• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Packrat wants to be creative!

MikePro

Was curious if there was a way I could get use out of my hundreds of feet of scrap-misprinted vinyls via some sort of a white-out method?

for example, spray painting chunks of scrap with a white latex paint? or maybe there's another white, flexible, paint that would do the trick, so that I may print over it. Even tempted to hand-paint over it, but was hoping to stick to printing, if possible. Less headache.

My other option is to scrub with an acetone/butylcel. that I thin out to just barely break down the ink. Tho' I imagine that'd just be another PITA.

Doesn't have to be 100% perfect, but something the ink would hold onto for use on a bunch of side-projects I don't want to waste fresh material for. Such as artwork for myself/friends/filling wallspace in the shop. Or even mounting patterns for dimensional lettering, etc. I've saved insane amounts of scrap in hopes of making use of it someday to, at least, train new employees how to wrap/apply vinyl but kinda wanna find a better way of turning this trash into something useful.

ideas?

Si Allen

You could use all that scrap to re roof your shop!

4or 5 layers should be enough.

When done ... give it a coat of latex using your favorite color.

To hide the fact that you are a cheapass ... use a felt tip marker and draw some shinles on it!

:rolleyes:

MikePro

To hide the fact that you are a cheapass ... use a felt tip marker and draw some shinles on it!
:rolleyes:
i like it! buuuut I need to white-out the "roof" or I'd be wasting another sharpee!
p.s. anyone got a couple sharpees I can "borrow"?

MikePro

idk, was just bored and threw it out there but realized that it's not really worth the headache of gumming up my rollers and/or trackmarks across my prints. Nothin wrong with findin more uses for scrap :)

S

scarface

to be honest, any projects for your business used off the roll of vinyl is a write off for advertising. It's not that big of a deal, heck even I do that lol

Techman

to be honest, any projects for your business used off the roll of vinyl is a write off for advertising. It's not that big of a deal, heck even I do that lol

HUH??????????

its not a write off for advertising,, its already written off for materials cost. The instant you wrote a check to pay for the material its written off. You cannot double dip it..

raider

cut into strips and use for tape, or cut into longer strips and wrap around vinyl rolls. Tape the strip to avoid that sticky residue on your rolled vinyl.

MikePro

cut into strips and use for tape, or cut into longer strips and wrap around vinyl rolls. Tape the strip to avoid that sticky residue on your rolled vinyl.

lol, doing that too!
as far as write-offs... i'm not worried about it. I'm not broke and trying to turn trash into profit, but when I do side-projects for myself/friends I try to make use of scrap around the shop... as to not get myself into trouble for dipping into inventory.
I'm not cheap, i'm just resourceful :)

hell, I even save chunks of laminates to, someday, do some mosaic "tilework".

signswi

See if any local educational institutions (art museums that run preschools, etc.) are interested in free scraps, that's what we do with ours. They love it.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hoarder huh...

Si's idea is great. You could also make the worlds largest slip-n-slide as long as your overlaps run downhill.

MikePro

See if any local educational institutions (art museums that run preschools, etc.) are interested in free scraps, that's what we do with ours. They love it.

aye, i bring a bunch of stuff to a summer camp i work at annually. Which is where I thought of the white-out idea, as they use a lot of my banner/wallpaper scraps as canvas for painting.
... I should see if they can do anything with my old ballasts/transformers too!

surf city

I donate my scraps to a local nursing home and a nursery school for their activities centers, cuts down on the amount of round filing to be done.