• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting or graphics on Aspahlt

Signsforwhile

We have a customer with a material yard that would like to put way finding graphics and bay identification on the asphalt in their outdoor material yard which is asphalt. Paint seems like the simple option as it seems to be readily available and decently durable. None of the "vinyl" options from my usual handful of vendors seems permanent enough (12 months on the outside).

If we choose painting, anyone have experience masking asphalt for paint? I feel like it would be a nightmare with bleeding unless we spray it.

Graphics will be exposed to: summers up to 95 degree air temps with direct sun, winters as low as zero or less, snow, plow and salt. Forklifts driven over them constantly with the occasional stationary tire twisting directly over the graphic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can get specialized asphalt marking paint. It's made to last for years. You need equipment to put it down, though.

Why don't you just contact a professional line marking company ??

Signsforwhile

we're a roll up the sleeves do it ourselves company! if it's a matter of picking the right paint and making stencils then we'll do it. we do that daily just onto other substrates.,

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Right now there are a couple foil based materials that are made specifically for asphalt and you could get much better artwork compared to painting direct but the durability and cost for the material would not make sense for your application unless it was only going to be down for a year or less. I would say paint it.

signguy 55

we're a roll up the sleeves do it ourselves company! if it's a matter of picking the right paint and making stencils then we'll do it. we do that daily just onto other substrates.,

That's a great attitude to have but replacing a 4' x 8' of polymetal is different than painting on a business's parking lot. You'll have one shot to get it right. As Gino says they have specialized equipment to paint parking lots. I don't know why we have mentality that we have to do everything ourselves without even considering the risk/ liabilities involved. Get a quote of XXX dollars to paint it, you do the stencils if that's what is required and mark the whole job up accordingly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

OldPaint

how many HANDICAPPED parking spots have you seen that are painted???? they seem to work well..........just ask who did em..........lot of businesses have to get their own done..........NOT BY THE LOCAL GOVT.

Jillbeans

You can also get really nice custom stencils made.
(but I can't remember the website!) I know I've posted it before on this forum.
Buy them (they are reusable) use the correct paint, and you can get to re-do the job every few years when the markings get too grungy. No biggie.
Love....Jill

We have a customer with a material yard that would like to put way finding graphics and bay identification on the asphalt in their outdoor material yard which is asphalt. Paint seems like the simple option as it seems to be readily available and decently durable. None of the "vinyl" options from my usual handful of vendors seems permanent enough (12 months on the outside).

If we choose painting, anyone have experience masking asphalt for paint? I feel like it would be a nightmare with bleeding unless we spray it.

Graphics will be exposed to: summers up to 95 degree air temps with direct sun, winters as low as zero or less, snow, plow and salt. Forklifts driven over them constantly with the occasional stationary tire twisting directly over the graphic.

Small overspray around the letters is to be expected. Traffic stencils are made from 1/8th inch plastic or .080 aluminum sheets. They lay as flat as possible and spray. It's asphalt it's not a sign. If you are thinking of paint masking the ground to spray a number you are going to way way way overbid this job. Find comeco or another stencil company and buy online. 12" number and letter kit should do the trick for marking any bays you need to. Line up the numbers together and spray. Any traffic control company will have stripping paint in cans. They most likely will also have the stencil kits.