• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pan molded signs face reuseable?

dianesis

is possible to reuse a face of a sign cabinet pan molded? Cuz i have a client wanting to reuse his white pan molded that only has letters but is it possible at all?

Techman

it will cost more to clean it up and repaint it than to get a new pan.. They are not all that expensive.

What size is it?

S'N'S

Depends on what its made from. If its made from clear and painted it may not be worth it but if its made out of opel you can easily reuse them, have done many times. I've cleaned them up and used Translucent vinyl on the face with no problems yet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From what you described, it's totally possible. Only you can figure that out and determine what your time is worth removing it all and if it will clean up after everything is gone. Don't let a little ghosting bother ya, as the new stuff going on will pretty much overpower it.

Depends on age of the face, material used and what kind and how many layouts have been on it before.

If it's polycarbonate, there will be an increasing amount of yellowing where there was no vinyl. If it's high-impact acrylic, there will be no yellowing, but they are much, much easier to break.

If translucent vinyl was used and it hasn't weathered too badly, it's easy to take off with very little adhesive left to clean. If the vinyl has deteriorated badly or they used cheap calandered vinyl, better to throw the face out and start new.

Billct2

Like everyone has said, too many variables to say for sure.
But if it's a white face lettered with vinyl it's definitely worth a try.
Just be sure the client understands that it may not work, and the face can even break during the attempt.

Techman

That light yellowing overpowered by the new stuff will soon be darker obvious yellowing and an ugly mess.

Pans are cheap. Get a new one.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have reused a few. If i'm slow and have the time I try and reuse anything and everything. When I too busy I just buy new.

Once I cut out the middle of the pan leaving about 1" area before the bevel, cut a piece of acrylic to fit and VHB taped it together. I put a 1" black line to cover the taped area. It worked great. Cheaper than a new pan and not much work at all.