• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pantone 165 - cant find a close match

gabagoo

I have searched my colour charts and just cant seem to get the richness of this colour.
I have an existing client who is changing all their vehicles over to this colour and a 5415. The 5415 is no problem to match and was thinking that I can print one colour and use regular vinyl for the other....except on the rear of all vehicles the designers have made a graphic stripe that runs from the bottom to the top rear corner on an angle going over anything and everything that is in its way. I figure I want to use a comply and now worry how will the orange vinyl give me grief.

I just wonder how far one can bend the rules of matching a colour so dead on. Some are virtually impossible within the cmyk range. I really want to print the orange because of that graphic that will not conform well with regular 2 ml

what to do?

gabagoo

oh I also wondered...what would happen if i laminated 2ml orange to a white comply? Would it still work or am I dreaming?

MikePro

is it absolutely necessary to hit a certain orange? I'm a big fan of printing swatches of whatever I can throw into a file, and choosing the color that I believe looks the best and has no crummy banding.

you can order stock colors in comply films from 3M, as well.

i also just changed a dozen blaze-orange banners into fiery red banners by printing a 20% field of magenta on them. there's a million and one ways to crack a nut.

Malkin

I think that cast orange vinyl laminated onto comply would work just fine.

Also, for hitting the color printed, does your rip give you an option to double hit the ink? If so you may be able to find a mixture of magenta & yellow (effectively up to 200% of each) to get it acceptable close.

Richard G

I have a customer that we needed that same color and the only way I could get it was using a CMYK the RGB just would not work. I am using Flexi but the same printer a Mimaki JV3 160SP. Try using C = 0 M = 78.039 Y = 100 K = 0. It worked for me. Hope you have the same luck. That same customer we have now done about 100 vehicle for in the past year, so take a little time and get it right. We are also printing it on Oracal 3951, using that profile.

signmeup

You can make any cast vinyl into comply by squeegeeing it to a piece of comply waffley backing paper. Just squeegee it down and then heat it with a heat gun. Try it... it really is that easy.

gabagoo

I have to redo a fleet of vehicles and the logo is a combo of orange and some form of greeny turquoise that can only be printed. I can match the greeny colour and because they interact with each other in every aspect of the design, ideally i want to print lam and cut for a 1 pc install. If I have to do it in 2 thats fine, it really is this angles thick stripe at the rear that goes over everything that will be in it's way that concerns me.
I will try your orange formula but have my doubts. I wil also try laminating orange to comply and see what happens. Not to crazy about applying orange to comply backing paper but if all else fails i will give that a try.

On another note... I have looked over this pdf description from the designer on how the stripes are applied at the rear of the vehicles ( all different) and he shows it going right to the rear edge of the trucks but from behind you see no sign of striping coming around the corners. naturally in a designers world they think the vehicle is made with a 90 degree bend in it. I am pretty sure from behind you will see the stripes ending as the back end of every vehicle is somewhat rounded. Am I asking for trouble here or will common sense prevail? lol

signmeup

I wil also try laminating orange to comply and see what happens. Not to crazy about applying orange to comply backing paper but if all else fails i will give that a try.
Try it with some scrap but it worked great for me. I used 2 mil cast vinyl.

gabagoo

Even better!

Nah they say (nd) that the comply also has a lot to do with the adhesive so backing paper is a no go and they also said that if I laminated the orange onto the comply that I may lose a certain amount of comply...so I started running colour samples and after about 15 tries I am pretty close. I used a double hit of pantone 804 at 720 x 720.

Now thats good but I now need to see what double hit colour will match my other colour and I am ready to rock

signmeup

Nah they say (nd) that the comply also has a lot to do with the adhesive so backing paper is a no go and they also said that if I laminated the orange onto the comply that I may lose a certain amount of comply...so I started running colour samples and after about 15 tries I am pretty close. I used a double hit of pantone 804 at 720 x 720.

Now thats good but I now need to see what double hit colour will match my other colour and I am ready to rock
Trust me... ND graphics never tried the backing paper trick.

It may not be a practical solution for the job at hand but it does work. I used 3M 180c backing paper and KPMF cast vinyl. Worked a treat.

This was a few years ago... I suppose it is possible that the backing paper is less ridgy now. Try it just for sh!ts and giggles some day. Might come in handy.

I would also try your excellent idea of laminating the orange onto the comply and install it as a unit. I'm sure ND never did that either. What have you got to lose? 2 minutes and a bit of scrap?

gabagoo

Trust me... ND graphics never tried the backing paper trick.

It may not be a practical solution for the job at hand but it does work. I used 3M 180c backing paper and KPMF cast vinyl. Worked a treat.

This was a few years ago... I suppose it is possible that the backing paper is less ridgy now. Try it just for sh!ts and giggles some day. Might come in handy.

I would also try your excellent idea of laminating the orange onto the comply and install it as a unit. I'm sure ND never did that either. What have you got to lose? 2 minutes and a bit of scrap?

who's got 2 minutes? who's got scrap? lmfao I will definately give it a try...but now I have the 2 colours pretty close matched so I am good to print. Unfortunately I did all my testing on 3m comply so I guess I have to use that and not the general formulations automark.....damn!!!

gabagoo

I don't see how that will hinder the comply feature any more than printing on it then laminating with cast laminate.

The dealer guy who works the stuff says I would lose some comply features or it would not comply as easily...who knows, but it is good to know for future jobs when colours are not easy to reproduce...like lime green lol

gabagoo

OK now I am printing my comply film and notice pretty quickly that my orange is way off. I check my sample I printed this morning and they dont match. WTF happened? OK I hit the brakes and go back into the file and look. Yup, all the orange says 804 and it is double hitting it at 720 x 720.
Now while working on the bluey green grey colour I had taken a pantone and swithced it to cmyk so I could tweak the colours. Once I found a close enough match I then saved these two swatches until I brought the main files in and used the swatches to switch up the 2 colours. I will add that the bluey grey green colour also had to be printed at 79% full values.
When i isolated the orange, even though it indicates it is pantone 804 the colour mixer is stating it is cmyk and at the 79% just like the bluey green grey colour.
So I have to ask, once I use a percentage of a spot colour does that %age effect the other colours. each time i turn the %age back to 100 and switch the orange back to spot (flexi by the way) when I go back in it is still cmyk and 79%..... Maybe the contour cuts are holding the info and I cant change it? i go check that now.
man I was so close and now i feel so far...... Digital printing is going to kill me sooner or later....lol

gabagoo

Well I separated all the contours from the prints and somehow even though i saved the 2 swatches as I printed the samples...something changed in the orange. I have no idea but I just spent another 45 minutes running swatches and now have found that an rgb formula with a double hit is close enough. whew. I guess to much multitasking has its price some days.... Loss of memory does not help either