• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PayPal Scam

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey, what about the Cat Food Scam ?? No matter what store you go into, the cat food shelves are basically empty. Nothing left in wet or dry food. Who's hoarding that ?? The covid people ??

Ya can get the litter sand, but who's gonna p!ss & sh!t in their box, if they ain't eating nothing ??

victor bogdanov

Ok maybe I was being overly cautious. The way I am reading it I would have to supply them with information on every transaction such as invoice, tracking numbers etc. Do you have to do that with every transaction?
Every transaction for physical goods, you must supply tracking number if you want to have seller protection. Without a tracking number a buyer can say they didn't get it and you'll lose the claim. If there is no shipping involved it would be a good idea to have a signed paper from the customer saying they picked up the goods

CanuckSigns

why not just switch to a different payment processor? to me PayPal seems amateur hour, I equate it with ebay and other fly by night operations. Something like square or even QuickBooks Online/ FreshBooks etc. all allow online payments

dypinc

Every transaction for physical goods, you must supply tracking number if you want to have seller protection. Without a tracking number a buyer can say they didn't get it and you'll lose the claim. If there is no shipping involved it would be a good idea to have a signed paper from the customer saying they picked up the goods
Thank you for answering that. Since our order entry and shipping shipping system already has that information to then go in and supply Paypal with that again is just a waste of time for my employee and causes unnecessary delays I will just not offer a PayPal option. That is not something we have to to do with our other payment options. And the risk of Paypal doing this again is just asking for trouble. Just wish there was a way to cancel that PayPal account.

dypinc

Hey, what about the Cat Food Scam ?? No matter what store you go into, the cat food shelves are basically empty. Nothing left in wet or dry food. Who's hoarding that ?? The covid people ??

Ya can get the litter sand, but who's gonna p!ss & sh!t in their box, if they ain't eating nothing ??
Oh those pure covid people, but nobody forced them to take the shot.

victor bogdanov

Thank you for answering that. Since our order entry and shipping shipping system already has that information to then go in and supply Paypal with that again is just a waste of time for my employee and causes unnecessary delays I will just not offer a PayPal option. That is not something we have to to do with our other payment options. And the risk of Paypal doing this again is just asking for trouble. Just wish there was a way to cancel that PayPal account.
What system do you use, there are ways to make it automated. I'm using bigcommerce and all of the tracking numbers get to paypal automatically

victor bogdanov

why not just switch to a different payment processor? to me PayPal seems amateur hour, I equate it with ebay and other fly by night operations. Something like square or even QuickBooks Online/ FreshBooks etc. all allow online payments
paypal has paypal payments pro, you wont even know you just paid with paypal, works like any other CC processor

dypinc

What system do you use, there are ways to make it automated. I'm using bigcommerce and all of the tracking numbers get to paypal automatically
We use a CC processing system through our bank and USPS and UPS shipping with QB which stores all that info and send the customer a receipt and tracking info. Orders come it by Mail, Phone, and OpenCart. Entered once in QB for all.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A lot of sites take it and it's 1 click pay which is much easier than having to register at every random site that you buy something from

Notarealsignguy

I agree paying with Paypal is easy but accepting payments through Paypal seems way too risky.
We've been taking it for 20 years. Had a guy dispute a $10k charge once and we still got the money. We don't typically accept large payments on equipment sales with anything except a wire and that incident sealed up that policy. I'm sure they're not perfect but I have never had any bad experience.
To add to this, merchant processors also withhold payments, it's pretty standard practice so they don't get burned on chargebacks. There is typically a certain amount that you are approved for and anything above that is held 30 days

Scotchbrite

No comment
I've used PayPal for a long time and they are what they are, a payment processor. I don't think I've heard of a payment processor that doesn't have complaints. Processors are like insurance, a necessary evil.

binki

Never use these unregulated payment services. They are simply awful. As much as merchant processors are scum, they at least have a resolution process for chargebacks and have a phone number you can call.
Forget pay pal. zell, square and all the other scum sites.

Lance

Not really telling. eBay started their own in house payment processor, that's a pretty natural progression. You can still pay with Paypal on eBay too.
I thought eBay owned PayPal..........

Ooops, up till 2015.......
Established in 1998 as Confinity, PayPal went public through an IPO in 2002. It became a wholly-owned subsidiary of eBay later that year, valued at $1.5 billion.
In 2015, eBay spun off PayPal to eBay's shareholders and PayPal became an independent company again.

Notarealsignguy

Never use these unregulated payment services. They are simply awful. As much as merchant processors are scum, they at least have a resolution process for chargebacks and have a phone number you can call.
They're all merchant services and all deal with charge backs the same way. Do you really think you're gonna get any farther with one over another? You guys shoot from the hip too much and it's really a disservice to people that read these threads trying to get legit information.

Notarealsignguy

I thought eBay owned PayPal..........

Ooops, up till 2015.......
Established in 1998 as Confinity, PayPal went public through an IPO in 2002. It became a wholly-owned subsidiary of eBay later that year, valued at $1.5 billion.
In 2015, eBay spun off PayPal to eBay's shareholders and PayPal became an independent company again.
They implemented their own payment service last year and have forced everyone to accept payments through eBay now. PayPal is still an option but as a seller, you have to accept ebay's also. PayPal will eventually get pushed out but it's not a big deal, the fees are less and they do automatic transfers to your bank which is nice.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yah, you should stay offline.

dypinc

They implemented their own payment service last year and have forced everyone to accept payments through eBay now. PayPal is still an option but as a seller, you have to accept ebay's also. PayPal will eventually get pushed out but it's not a big deal, the fees are less and they do automatic transfers to your bank which is nice.
And PayPal can apparently freeze your funds for what ever reason they want. I still can't get them to give a specific reason.

ikarasu

As long as you're doing everything above board PayPal isn't risky.

In the past 10 years I've been randomly selected twice to prove that I was shipping what I was saying I was shipping, they give you a couple of transactions you have to prove you actually shipped out with a tracking #, or didnt need to ship out because it was a non tangible good... and proof you are who you say you are, and your account will get unfrozen within 2 business days. In the meantime you can keep accepting funds... just not withdrawl it - So it doesnt affect your business if its legit.

If you're doing something like selling copyrighted stuff...and they got a complaint, they will keep your funds frozen though.

It's not a perfect system, but with money being so easy to send these days... Its their way to make sure people arent getting scammed, money isnt being laundered, and nothing illegal is going on. Sure it sucks... but its a necessary evil when anyone with a PC can open a paypal account. If you don't like it, submit the info, get your funds, then close your account - I've always hated paypal... but to a degree I understand why they do what they do.