• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

photoshop scaling

ckoziol

Hey there...

Does anyone know if there is a preference setting or some way in Photoshop to tell it to scale shadows/strokes, etc., when you scale down the image? (ie: from very large to small to email someone)? I know how to do it in Illustrator, but am having a problem finding it in photoshop. Thanks for any help!

:thankyou:

Carol
Aces High Signs

S

SignTech

In PS you can adjust shadows and strokes amongst others by going into the layer and manualy changing the settings, thickness, distance, and so on ... or are you just resizing a picture?

Anyway, by opening up a layers you can make many adjustments .......

ckoziol

scaling

In PS you can adjust shadows and strokes amongst others by going into the layer and manualy changing the settings, thickness, distance, and so on ... or are you just resizing a picture?

Anyway, by opening up a layers you can make many adjustments .......

Yes, but that's what I'm trying to avoid, because it's time consuming. When I have a bunch of styles set, drop shadow, stroke, bevel, on several layers, you have to do each one individually. In Illustrator, when you scale the picture, your preferences can be set to say to scale the strokes as well.

S

SignTech

well hopefully someone will pop on here and give us the quick key for PS, I have always saved my styles and apply them to the layers ... that saves time ... but overall PS is more time consuming ... I know what you mean with respect to .AI .......

If I am all done with a project I flatten the image or merge everything visible and then everything scales the same ....... make sense? I might not B explaining this correctly

ckoziol

well hopefully someone will pop on here and give us the quick key for PS, I have always saved my styles and apply them to the layers ... that saves time ... but overall PS is more time consuming ... I know what you mean with respect to .AI .......

If I am all done with a project I flatten the image or merge everything visible and then everything scales the same ....... make sense? I might not B explaining this correctly

Actually, yes, that is a good idea, thanks :cool1:

fozzyber

quick work around

Just duplicate your image, flatten layers, resize, email proof, delete duplicate.

JERRY

cdiesel

Hey.. I know this one!

When you resize the image using image size, check the box that says "scale styles". :cool:

iSign

another handy trick I now use 3 or 4 times a day in 3 or 4 different programs...

I got an excellent freeware screen capture program that does that even faster, plus I can program it to never exceed 600 pixels wide (or any other parameters) for emailing. Overall many less clicks, & NO chance of hitting save instead of save-as.

Mine is from mediachance.com and is called ultrasnap. I'm there biggest fan!

I grap stuff from emails, on-line faxes, websites, spreadsheets... I past it all into the illustrator because that is where 99% of my jobs happen... so I compile client concepts, contact info, & communications, supplier info, shots of last years bills... whatever allows me to store data for that job in the quickest manner for digesting later.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Alternately, add a new layer to the pic just below the layers you've put effects onto, then duplicate that effected layer and merge it down (or rasterise the text & merge the text + effects layer down. That will resize proportionally, and still give you a copy of the original that you can re-edit later.

scott pagan

When you resize the image using image size, check the box that says "scale styles". :cool:

ha! i had never noticed that option in Photoshop.

if you have a multi-layered file that needs resizing, the layer effects will stay true to the original ppi/size pre-scale. so now, after re-sizing you can select each layer (only 1 at a time in CS2) that are using layer effects and use the layer >layer style >scale styles and enter x% of reduction/enlarge.

great find!