• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Placing Cut Vinyl on to Aluminum signs

Macky25

Hey, can anyone explain how to get vinyl, oracle 651, to adhere to a aluminum sign? I have been trying to make a couple of street signs for my kids and every time I go to remove the app tape off the vinyl, it peels off of the sign.

I'm very new to this and am learning on the go.

Thanks.

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod where we first remove the protective coating off the aluminum then wash the aluminum with Rapid Prep, then we stick the vinyl. Use the search feature on Signs 101 for ots of very helpful information.

Tim Aucoin

As Bob said, make sure the protective film is removed. Your masking (app tape) could be too high tack also. 651 will stick to aluminium if done properly!

Oh, and welcome from Calgary, Alberta!

Pat Whatley

Got to have something to do with cleaning the aluminum. The usual problem is that 651 sticks to aluminum before you're ready for it to and it won't come back up.

Macky25

I removed all films off of the aluminum. I also wiped it down do make sure there is no dust, etc... on it. The app tape that I used is Clear Choice clear. I also have Greenstar opaque. Would that be better?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
are you doing it in 30 degree temps? Is it a new roll of vinyl, or old? Pressure sensitive adhesive requires pressure to activate, are you pushing down the vinyl and tape with a squeegee evenly, and with a good amount of pressure?

Macky25

Thanks everyone for the advice. It ended up working, finally. It seems that I was not putting enough pressure down on the graphic.

Macky25

Keith,

Enough. I had to really lay into the squeegee. I thought that a light pass over it a few times was good. Nope.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You do realize you must squeegee the vinyl while it's still under the application tape before remove said application tape.

Goes something like this:​
  • Cut out vinyl
  • Weed vinyl
  • Tape vinyl
  • Squeegee tape onto vinyl
  • Lift vinyl from backing paper by lifting tape
  • Align where you want to vinyl to go
  • Set it down firmly on substrate
  • Squeegee tape and vinyl firmly
  • Lift tape off at 75° angle

You're finished :thumb:

2B

As Bob said, make sure the protective film is removed. Your masking (app tape) could be too high tack also. 651 will stick to aluminium if done properly!

+1 651 sticks to aluminum no problem for us, using 4075 RLA tape

OldPaint

also you didnt say if it was PAINTED or BARE aluminum. bare aluminum will sometimes be a lot harder to get vinyl to stick to it.

Macky25

Gino,

That is what I have been doing on all application. However, first time I did this it did not work. The last 10 have gone perfect.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,

That is what I have been doing on all application. However, first time I did this it did not work. The last 10 have gone perfect.
Well, based on your profile and so many DNA's, I figured this might be your first attempt at vinyl.

If you didn't plot/cut it.... how'd you get it ?? :help

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

You don't need to apply a lot of pressure. If you do then something else is not right.

Clean with alcohol. Never use mineral spirits or lacquar thinner without following with a good cleaning with alcohol.

Warm up the substrait and vinyl to room temp.