• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please crit and help

Fatboy

Guys,my client ask to design new logo. He call himself "Old Man Africa' and he do 4 x4 tours into the bush,mainly Lesotho.He travel all over africa and take tourists with him.This is what I came up with.

Attachments

• Old Man Africa.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Old Man Africa.jpg
    Old Man Africa.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 146

Mosh

•Arc is not right, upper and lowercase does not look right
•Since Forever is too squeezed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nice touch.

If you are locked into these components, I would move the man closer to the center so his head isn’t decapitated by the copy and I would use a more contrasting color for the copy. I would also move the copy closer to the center and finish the edge off with a border of some sort.

I would also try placing your secondary copy in the lower area of the sky and not arch it at all.

The background of the sky looks great. I really like that effect.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Be advised that uploaded pics are best provided in JPG format. Although uploading a PDF is permitted, many members will decline to open them due to virus concerns.

Fatboy

What Mosh said. And I don't see how it conveys anything about what he does. Sorry!

Sorry..I should have explained.He takes tourist to a very remote area of Africa.The man you see is a typical 'Basutu" wich is a tribe in Africa.The hat is theit traditional wear and you will often find their elders look over the horizon at the end of the day in a spiritial gesture.

SignManiac

Your text is a mess. pull it in toward the middle and make that along with the old guy your focal point.

A suggestion, don't stay locked into the oval idea. Find a black silhouette map of the continent of Africa and work in a reverse image of the old man walking. Design the lettering to fit within the profile. I can see it in my head already and I think it would represent the intended purpose better. Give it a try.

I decided to just show you. My point is think outside the box and make sure it conveys the purpose if you have to use a graphic.

Yes that's a Hersheys kiss on his head.

Attachments

• old man africa.jpg
    old man africa.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Fitch

Fatboy

I really think you should do one of two things:

First (and preferred) - pick up a pencil and some paper. Draw out 6 or so designs - ALL DIFFERENT to the last. Improve on each design with elements etc - but be cautious NOT to overdo it. Make it a habit to draw - even in bed for 10 minutes each night before retiring.

Second - look at some of the image galleries on some of the better websites. Look carefully at them and ask "what makes this a good / great sign". Is it the colour composition, the layout, the fonts, the feel, the message, the eye appeal? Really it should be all seven aspects. YES !!! simple signs can look magic with the right curve, or contrast, or drop shadow.

Nobody - including you will improve by trying to improve yourself as opposed to emulating others. Those that do it and do it well are "Gods", and have learnt by experience. Follow them.

Cheers - G

rjpjr

my .02 cents...

I really like the old man silhouette gazing off into the distant sun sunset. However, I would change the colors so that there is a much stronger contrast. I think that I may exchange the arced text for a left justified stacked text placed to the right of the old man. As Gino suggested, I would move the secondary copy out of bottom foreground into the sky just beneath the main text.

Attachments

• Old-Man-Africa.jpg
    Old-Man-Africa.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 149

Fatboy

my .02 cents...

I really like the old man silhouette gazing off into the distant sun sunset. However, I would change the colors so that there is a much stronger contrast. I think that I may exchange the arced text for a left justified stacked text placed to the right of the old man. As Gino suggested, I would move the secondary copy out of bottom foreground into the sky just beneath the main text.

This is amazing. Thank you so much. How do you feel about me using it? Please let me know.

Dave Drane

my .02 cents...

Great makeover man!!!:thumb:

chatterbox

You should create MULTIPLE logos for each project (FOR YOU TO VIEW and compare).

Always give your customer two choices. But before then, you should make multiple different designs, because your customer may not like what you give them in the first place.

I think the design you did is a photo with text. Redo.