• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter Blades

showcase 66

I just ordered some new blades and the lady I was just telling me that I need to change my blade out every month. I have never heard that before and am taking it like she wants me to purchase more from them. But it got me thinking how often do I change my blades. I have 4 cutters set up and they pretty much have their own type of work to be done with. 1 for sandblast material, 1 for small decals and the other 2 for pretty much everything else. I have changed blades pretty quickly when I am using reflective or other specialty films that seem to kill the blade.

Anyways. Just curious how often everyone changes their blades.

MikePro

depends on the quality of the blade you're purchasing... i don't know too much about plotter blades, as someone else in the shop does most of the cutting, but a good comparison would be drill bits. The gold colored bits last at least 4x longer than the black oxide ones that cost half the price.

i CAN mention that, i change my plotter blades about twice a year... and we cut about 4hours out of every day, 5 days a week, same blade for all materials, just different depths/pressures.
(although we don't use sandblasting material anymore, as we route everything now... but we do put the blade through the ringer with reflective and laminated materials quite regularly.)

tomence

I change blades once or twice a year and i cut a lot of vinyl, and i change blade not because they are worn just because i want to and i believe that i can use the same blade with the same amount of cutting vinyl for over a year.

CES020

Do yourself a favor and buy cleancut blades and you'll never buy another blade from that woman again.

Best blades I have ever used. I bought several and they are still unopened because the first one I put in is still cutting like a dream. Amazing blades.

BadAss

We cut about 3-5 hours a day. My Summa blade lasted 3 years, replaced with Clean-Cut blade about 6 months ago and it is still going strong. Both of our Summa blades lasted more than 3 years...

weaselboogie

Do yourself a favor and buy cleancut blades and you'll never buy another blade from that woman again.

Best blades I have ever used. I bought several and they are still unopened because the first one I put in is still cutting like a dream. Amazing blades.
:thumb:

TresL

Clean cut here as well....
I go though A LOT of blades doing 22+mil mateial.

Only issue with Clean Cut.... no Summa T blades... :-(
GREAT guy to talk with, he went as far as to recomend a place to get the T blades...

Bill Modzel

I just switched to Clean Cut myself. I cut tons of .oo5" lexan with a heavy duty adhesive laminated to to the back, with my GsX Plus. I generally have 4 cut paths stacked. I dropped the paths to three and dropped my knife pressure in half and am still tweaking things.
I've also dropped the pressure on my Graphtec 1/3 to 1/2 what I was using on vinyl and rubylith.

omgsideburns

We have two blades on each of our plotters.. one for regular vinyl, and one for reflective. We get at least two years with daily use.

steve.leleaux

Clean cut here as well....
I go though A LOT of blades doing 22+mil mateial.

Only issue with Clean Cut.... no Summa T blades... :-(
GREAT guy to talk with, he went as far as to recomend a place to get the T blades...

where was the recommended place and did it work out for you?

TresL

Ordered them through Fellers, they seem to be OK.
Next order will be from Phil at the Summa Store though.