• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post holes with a drill...

Evan Gillette

Moze what brand augers do you run and where do you get them? Ever have any issues with the chuck end of the bit, it seems like that would be the weak point.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Well, to each their own and what one feels comfortable using, let alone investing in. However, I would say if you're making a video, you should at least wear proper fitting clothing and shoes. Not to mention safety glasses. Otherwise, you'll be a tool, if seen by the wrong people.
2E9892FE-37F2-49C4-AF98-933D8348D8A8.jpeg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, he still doesn't have his safety glasses on and while I doubt he's wearing shorts, you still can't see what's on his feet. Because of this covid19 stuff, he could be wearing flip-flops.......... ?? Ya never know with these idiots today........

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Moze what brand augers do you run and where do you get them? Ever have any issues with the chuck end of the bit, it seems like that would be the weak point.

The bits are cheapies off Amazon for the time being. I didn't want to invest more than I had to until I knew it was going to work. They're sold by ECO LLC.

This is a new setup for me, so I can't speak as to the longevity of any of it.

Johnny Best

That’s a nice fence Moze. Did you make that? Did you just get chain link pipes at Home Depot with hardware? I like that better than 4x4 posts that rot.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Well, he still doesn't have his safety glasses on and while I doubt he's wearing shorts, you still can't see what's on his feet. Because of this covid19 stuff, he could be wearing flip-flops.......... ?? Ya never know with these idiots today........
C'mon Gino, as long as he is not wearing Uggs or Crocs he could be out there in just a DeWalt branded jockstrap and still be good to go.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Cool video. Thank you for sharing. Interesting ideas. I can't believe all the crap people are slinging about it.... Oh wait, this is Signs101, yes I can.:clapping::banghead:

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Dry, black alkyline clays are hard and brittle. A drill rig like this would work for a 6" 2' deep hole. Muckier, heavy soils like we have in the midwest are softer, but would stop a drill like this in its tracks. We use a Little Beaver rig with a torsion bar to keep from getting hurt when digging 42" blow the frost line.

Brandon708

Wow the RPMs on that is way to fast to dig holes. I’d suspect you will break your wrists if you hit a rock. I wouldn’t trust it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Not sure why so many are knockin this. Looks like a real time saver over dragging out a gas auger or hand digging even if it only worked 25% of the time.
I wouldn’t be worried about it breaking my hand either. These are used by plumbers and electricians over their heads to drill through wood beams and studs. If they were that dangerous, these guys would have cracked skulls and broke jaws from using them everyday. A regular high speed drill can break your wrist just the same but we all use them. Just gotta use your head.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Doesn't hurt to try as long as your liability insurance is all paid.
Here in CT we are supposed to call CBYD before digging a hole using any power tools.
Since we do Real Estate signs, our drivers dig between 100 and 150 holes a day.
We have hit just about everything that you can if it is buried shallow (including gas lines).
When we do, the first question asked is- Did you call CBYD?
But we don't have to because we dig the holes without using power tools.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Wow the RPMs on that is way to fast to dig holes.

Are they? I've already dug multiple holes and hit rocks and roots and it will still do a 6"x24" in less than a minute.

I’d suspect you will break your wrists if you hit a rock. I wouldn’t trust it.

As stated, if it hits a rock or root it can't get through, the clutch kicks in.

Doesn't hurt to try as long as your liability insurance is all paid.
Here in CT we are supposed to call CBYD before digging a hole using any power tools.
Since we do Real Estate signs, our drivers dig between 100 and 150 holes a day.
We have hit just about everything that you can if it is buried shallow (including gas lines).
When we do, the first question asked is- Did you call CBYD?
But we don't have to because we dig the holes without using power tools.

never heard the clause about power tools, I have been told any digging requires onecall!

Same here in Texas - if you dig, you should call.

Screen Shot 005.PNG

chester215

Just call me Chester.
For CT it is required with mechanized equipment only.
Where my brother does the same thing in NJ, he is supposed to call for every hole.

Attachments

• CBYD.pdf
    629 KB · Views: 165