• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

premade/template websites....

were looking at getting a website up and running, we've had numerous people tell us they can do and they always fall through!

so, i noticed at the bottom of the signs101 website there was a company offering premade/template websites, you basically upload your logo, pics etc and thats it....

my question is, is this a good deal?

Locals Find!

Look good to me for the price. They even have a reseller program so you can offer websites to your clients where you do some of the work or they can do all of it.

It's not a custom site but, hey if its gets you work. They look better than what I built for myself.

yeah, custom sites are like 895+ which is a good price as we've been quoted from 2k-15k for a custom site.

i'm no website designer, wouldn't know where to start so though for 500 bucks, seems to be ok. just wanted other opinons etc.

what about the hosting fees, are they about right?

Locals Find!

I got better pricing on hosting from domainspricedright.com

I am getting unlimited bandwidth and 150gb of storage for $7.99 a month and like 500 emails and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even use. So I would say they are a bit high.

Last edited:

GoodPeopleFlags

I've used a couple from Rockettheme.com. You pay a membership fee but you can download as many as you want. I paid $50 for a year.

so if i'm reading this right from there website....and remember, i don't know jack about websites/website designs etc.......if i don't get the cms package i can't add/delete content at all on the website?

so if doen the road i wanted to add pics or change some wording i would have to go through them again? even though i just paid them for a website? is the website therefor mine to own or is it still theres then??????

Mike F

so if i'm reading this right from there website....and remember, i don't know jack about websites/website designs etc.......if i don't get the cms package i can't add/delete content at all on the website?

so if doen the road i wanted to add pics or change some wording i would have to go through them again? even though i just paid them for a website? is the website therefor mine to own or is it still theres then??????

I would imagine the CMS package just makes it easier for you to change the content, i.e. you don't have to dive into the code. I'm sure you could still change it yourself if you know what you're doing though.

Sticky Signs

First off, I don't know jack about the interweb BUT, I did create my own site using template based software called Rapid Weaver. I can easily update it and change things when ever I want. I don't - but I can. At the time it was free for 3 pages and 35$ for unlimited pages. A great variety of templates and looks to choose from.
BTW, I can count on 2 fingers how much work I've gotten from my website. I like to think of it more or less as an online portfolio. People can check out some of my past work and decide if they'd like to order from me.
www.stickysigns.ca

i know alot of people now basically use google or however and do searches for sign places in there area for quotes and having a website would be a good idea to show them what you can do or services you offer.

i've read on here also that alot of people do seems to get regular work via websites/web pages so i figured it was about time i got my finger out.

have been trying to get a web designer for ages but keep getting nowhere!

SignManiac

60% of my work comes from the interweb. I ship a lot of work out of state. Can't imagine being in business this day and age without a web presence.

Sticky Signs

Don't get me wrong, a web presence is absolutely necessary. When's the last time you opened a phone book?
All I'm saying is personally, I don't get to many "callers" that actually turn into clients. Than again, I did make it myself so that could be the root of the problem right there. :)

Border

One thing to keep in mind and seriously.... Cheap hosting can cost you. Some of the overseas cheap sites and even homeland cheap site pack their server with so many companys, some that are spam offenders. This can get your domain put on a blacklist to spam filter companies just because you are associated with the domain server who happens to have one or more of their clients involved n spamming for whatever reason.

The big downside of that is that is your domain along with email addresses tied to your domain can become blacklisted as well, meaning that your business emails (assuming they end with @yourdomain) may very well end up in lots of people's junk boxes or never get delivered at all.

I learned this the hard way and have been working very hard over the past few years to fix it! All because i went with a very cheap overseas hosting company years ago. I have since went with a local company for 20 bucks a month for the last 6 years. They filter (very accurately) at least several HUNDRED junk emails per day from showing up in my inbox.

Had my website actually hijacked a few times with the old hosting company where it redirected to site of ill repute, etc.

Hindsight is 20/20 -Lesson: don't go cheap when it comes to your domain that you hope to carry for life!

PS... I have top of the line placement these days in the search engines, due to very hard work since then!

Mike F

oh ok, so....for someone whos a complete novice regarding websites, its worth getting a package with cms then?

Yep, definitely. Back in the day it wasn't so bad, all you really needed to know was HTML and you were good. Now with all the CSS, JavaScript, php, MySQL, etc., you really gotta know your stuff to put together something decent yourself.

Dan Antonelli

I'm sure templated solutions have their place, but your online presence for a custom shop is not where I would suggest using one. Unless all your signs are templated, wouldn't you want your own site to speak to your corporate identity and image? Isn't that what you're selling - image?

Keep in mind also, building a site - templated or otherwise - is one thing. Having it marketed properly so that it actually generates revenue - is another story altogether.

I may be slightly biased, however :)

qmr55

I'm sure templated solutions have their place, but your online presence for a custom shop is not where I would suggest using one. Unless all your signs are templated, wouldn't you want your own site to speak to your corporate identity and image? Isn't that what you're selling - image?

Keep in mind also, building a site - templated or otherwise - is one thing. Having it marketed properly so that it actually generates revenue - is another story altogether.

I may be slightly biased, however :)

+1

OP go here: Sign Shop Marketing

SignManiac

Dan is right about that. Custom signs deserve a custom site. Anyone can buy/build a website, but getting clients to the site is the most important thing, no matter what it looks like. And like anything else, first impressions mean everything when it comes to your own website.