• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prepping Clients Mentally - Avoiding problems

John Butto

Joe Diaz: I look at design whether it be a car, house, sign, art etc. as I do everything else. Meaning, if you take two people and stand them side by side and looking at their faces think that one is good looking and the other person, not as attractive. It is just a small differences in the shape of their nose or chin or hair that makes that assumption.
But, that is not your opinion about beauty, it is something you have learned from pictures, tv, your friends, culture and a host of other subjects. It is not really your thought but what you have been indoctrinated into. So something that you might think is nice, someone, who comes from a different cultural background does not see that as you do. And as far as customers, let us say myself and my partner wanted you to do a logo of 4 corners gym. I would never say anything about moving the 4 over a bit. I respect you to much as a designer, that is why we came to you in the first place and worked it out the way you thought best.

Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz: I look at design whether it be a car, house, sign, art etc. as I do everything else. Meaning, if you take two people and stand them side by side and looking at their faces think that one is good looking and the other person, not as attractive. It is just a small differences in the shape of their nose or chin or hair that makes that assumption.
But, that is not your opinion about beauty, it is something you have learned from pictures, tv, your friends, culture and a host of other subjects. It is not really your thought but what you have been indoctrinated into. So something that you might think is nice, someone, who comes from a different cultural background does not see that as you do. And as far as customers, let us say myself and my partner wanted you to do a logo of 4 corners gym. I would never say anything about moving the 4 over a bit. I respect you to much as a designer, that is why we came to you in the first place and worked it out the way you thought best.

Fair enough John, I look at a design whether it be car, house, sign or person, as more than just aesthetics. I look at functionality too, that's why I say it helps to think of design as not being subjective to the same extent as art.

Let's take a look at your people comparison. Yes, small changes in appearance can make a big difference in how we view the attractiveness of that person. However, have you ever noticed how often you see an already beautiful looking women, convinced by other people to change something about their appearance, and so they get plastic surgery, only to come out looking worst? Clearly not all of us are equipped to recommend HOW to make something look better, even if we all can form an opinion on what we think looks better.

But really I see design as more than just those minor aesthetic changes. Back to your analogy: I'm a boob guy. I'm attracted to boobs. Whether it's learned or taught, doesn't mater in this case, I just like them. I'm assuming a lot of men do. Now let's say a fellow boob lover were designing the prefect woman, being a boob lover, he could swap out her hands with boobs, her eyes with boobs, etc... Now that may please him, being a lover of boobs, but it's not practical to have boobs in place of hands and eyes. I know that's a weird scenario, but my point is design is more than just appealing to someone's tastes. It's about functionality. Anyone can tell me they like the color burgundy instead of yellow, and I might make that change for them if it didn't negativity effect the contrast of a design thus effecting it's functionality.

PS. I'm totally expecting a cartoon of my boob scenario now. :ROFLMAO: careful though don't break the forums rules.:omg:

John Butto

One more thing, if a women gave birth to sixtuplets, having boobs all over her body would be very functional. She would be the perfect women to her kids, which are her customers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know Joe, you're starting to sound a little kinky, but I'll forgive you on that one, cause I always thought a woman should have a boob in the middle of her back for slow dancing....... :rolleyes:

John.... Stella ?? how 'bout Edna ??​