• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Presidential debate...let's hear your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerbay

Detroit? oh boy. its a mess. Of course 0% support for trump obviously especially when Santa Hillary is promising free everything to a welfare city.

68 Jerome CavanaghJanuary 2, 1962 – January 5, 1970Democratic[SUP][6][/SUP]The 1961 mayoral race was the first campaign undertaken by the young Jerome Cavanagh.[SUP][101][/SUP] He was perceived as an easy opponent for incumbent Louis Miriani, but with the backing of the city'sAfrican-American community, Cavanaugh pulled off a stunning upset.[SUP][101][/SUP] Cavanaugh was initially a popular mayor, appointing a reformer to be chief of police and marching arm-in-arm with Martin Luther King, Jr. down Woodward Avenue. Cavanaugh was reelected overwhelmingly in 1965, and in 1966 was elected president of both the United States Conference of Mayors and the National League of Cities.[SUP][101][/SUP] However, his reputation was dimmed by the 1967 riots, and he declined to run for a third term. He later ran for Governor of Michigan, but lost in the primary, and died in 1979.[SUP][101][/SUP]
69 Roman GribbsJanuary 6, 1970 – January 1, 1974Democratic[SUP][6][/SUP]Gribbs served as an assistant prosecutor from 1956 to 1964 and as sheriff of Wayne County in 1968 and 1969 before deciding to run for mayor.[SUP][102][/SUP] Gribbs served a single term as mayor, declining to seek re-election.[SUP][103][/SUP] After leaving office, he served as a circuit court judge from 1975 to 1982 and on the Michigan Court of Appeals from 1982 until his retirement in 2000.[SUP][102][/SUP][SUP][103][/SUP]
70 Coleman YoungJanuary 1, 1974 – January 3, 1994Democratic[SUP][6][/SUP]Coleman Young was born in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but moved to Detroit when he was five.[SUP][104][/SUP] During World War II, Young served as one of the Tuskeegee Airmen, and returned to Detroit at the end of the war.[SUP][104][/SUP] He ran for state representative in 1959 but lost; in 1963 he ran for state senate and won.[SUP][104][/SUP] He served in the senate until 1974 when he moved into the mayor's office, becoming the city's first African-American mayor.[SUP][104][/SUP] Young remained as mayor for a record five terms, becoming the a longest-serving mayor in city history.[SUP][104][/SUP] During his tenure, Young was the vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981 and chair of the Democratic National Convention Platform Committee in 1980. He also led the United States Conference of Mayors and theNational Conference of Democratic Mayors at various times.[SUP][104][/SUP] With his health deteriorating, Young declined to seek a sixth term.[SUP][104][/SUP]
71 Dennis ArcherJanuary 3, 1994 – December 31, 2001Democratic[SUP][105][/SUP]Dennis Archer practiced law privately and as a law professor before being named to the Michigan Supreme Court in 1985 by Michigan governor James Blanchard.[SUP][106][/SUP] The following year, Archer was elected to a full eight-year term.[SUP][106][/SUP] He served two terms as mayor of Detroit, during which he was president of the National Conference of Democratic Mayors and president of the National League of Cities.[SUP][105][/SUP] Archer declined to seek a third term.[SUP][105][/SUP] After stepping down from the mayor's office, he was elected chair of Dickinson Wright and served a year as president of the American Bar Association.[SUP][106][/SUP]
72 Kwame KilpatrickJanuary 1, 2002 – September 18, 2008Democratic[SUP][107][/SUP]Kwame Kilpatrick is the son of former county commissioner Bernard Kilpatrick and former Michigan legislator and United States congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick.[SUP][107][/SUP] The younger Kilpatrick began his political career by running for the Michigan House seat his mother vacated in 1996,[SUP][108][/SUP] and was minority leader in the state house by 2001.[SUP][107][/SUP] Kilpatrick was twice elected mayor, but resigned office in 2008 after a corruption scandal; he was later sentenced to 28 years in prison.[SUP][109][/SUP]
73 Kenneth Cockrel, Jr.September 18, 2008 – May 11, 2009Democratic.[SUP][110][/SUP]Ken Cockrel is the son of the late Kenneth Cockrel Sr., a civil rights activist and Detroit City Council member.[SUP][111][/SUP] The younger Cockrel also ran for city council, and was first elected in 1997.[SUP][111][/SUP]Cockrel was elected council president in 2005,[SUP][111][/SUP] and assumed the mayorship after Kwame Kilpatrick's resignation in 2008.[SUP][112][/SUP][SUP][113][/SUP] However, Cockrel lost the ensuing special election to Dave Bing, and returned to his seat on the city council.[SUP][110][/SUP] Cockrel was re-elected to the city council later in the year.[SUP][114][/SUP]
74 Dave BingMay 11, 2009 – December 31, 2013Democratic[SUP][110][/SUP]Dave Bing played 10 seasons of basketball with the Detroit Pistons and was elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame.[SUP][110][/SUP] After retiring from basketball, Bing started an auto parts manufacturing business, the Bing Group.[SUP][110][/SUP][SUP][115][/SUP] He moved to Detroit specifically to run for mayor,[SUP][115][/SUP] and won the special election in May 2009 to fill the remainder of Kwame Kilpatrick's term,[SUP][110][/SUP] and was elected to a full term later in the year.[SUP][116][/SUP]
75 Mike DugganJanuary 1, 2014 – presentDemocrati

nikdoobs

I'm voting for Johnson although I really don't think it matters. I'm pretty sure Donald Trump has bought his presidency some how. That's the only explanation I have for how he's made it this far. I hate this two party system we have. Wish we would do away with it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So, if I got this right..... so far, no one here wants Hillary and no one wants Trump. Voting for one of the other two is just a statement in folly, so, like has been mentioned why not vote for the person who doesn't have a lousy track record in politics ?? Both are liars, both are cheats and both will say anything...... so take away the red and blue markers and the emotion.......... what do you have ?? :banghead:

I will vote for Johnson because, despite faux pas pounced on by the media, I think he is honest, capable, and much closer to my political viewpoint. I do not wish to cast my paltry vote for Trump or Clinton because neither reflect my viewpoint and both project governing in a way with which I cannot support. It is a patriotic choice for me as far as I'm concerned to vote for the candidate I think will govern in ways I can support and agree with.

In short, I am not voting against Donald or Hillary. I simply cannot vote for either. I am voting for Gary Johnson, regardless of his chances, because I support his record and political positions.

HulkSmash

sounds like your upset someone was keen enough and did well within the laws of the land? perhaps you should be upset at the people that made those laws not the ones that abide by them.

lying to the FBI is not an emotion. its a crime
being part of the political racket that controls the DOJ and being above the law is not an emotion. its tyranny.
promising 20,00 job to new yorkers and not producing any is not an emotion. its a failure to produce.
watching the event unfold in Benghazi for 13hour from a drone and doing nothing is not emotional.
worrying about how to frame the response to Benghazi so as to not mess up obamas re-election is not emotional.
lying to gold star mothers about a spontaneous protest is not emotional.
receiving millions in donations in a quid pro quo scheme is not emotional. its a crime.
i can go on for quite some time.

gottem

TimToad

so why not get government out of those enterprises and let the free market take over? Donny is a thieving con who doesn't pay his contractors, Hillary is your typical crooked politician.

#belibertarianwithme

I see the companies listed have been edited out, but I thought it was important to point out that none of them are run or funded by the government. The loan Solyndra received was actually applied for and processed under the Bush administration only represented 1.3% of the DOE's alternative energy loan program. The program at this time is actually making taxpayers a profit, so that's helping pay for even more clean energy resources. The USPS is a private enterprise that is only loosely accountable to and funded by the government. Due to its vital service to the country, we can't trust private companies to undertake such a vast and critical function.

Healthcare in the U.S. is a private enterprise except for the VA.

The government might subsidize or contract with providers, but the "industry" itself is all privately owned.

Have you ever heard of the SBA? You or any other American can get a business loan that is secured by a bank, but administered and guaranteed by the government. Millions of companies have taken advantage of them over the decades. The same goes with most home mortgages. It doesn't mean the government is in that business, they are just providing part of the insurance to make sure we avoid what happened during the Great Depression when the banks themselves failed.

If you think our economy is all about a "free market" you need to crack a few history books. Ours is one of the most subsidized and intertwined with government in the world.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I guess I'm just sick of the MORONS of the world trying to get others to jump off the bridge with them.

Once a moron, always a moron.

And I have not one moron in mind.

randya

being part of the political racket that controls the DOJ and being above the law is not an emotion. its tyranny.
promising 20,00 job to new yorkers and not producing any is not an emotion. its a failure to produce.
watching the event unfold in Benghazi for 13hour from a drone and doing nothing is not emotional.
worrying about how to frame the response to Benghazi so as to not mess up obamas re-election is not emotional.
receiving millions in donations in a quid pro quo scheme is not emotional. its a crime.

Then with the Republicans in charge, why no trials for these 'crimes'?

Seems Republicans are more to blame for letting her get away with such 'crimes'.

boxerbay

The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak) because it operates much like a business. It is, however, an "establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the UnitedStates", (39 U.S.C. § 201) as it is controlled by Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General.

owned or operated by = semantics.

healthcare - just look at the VA. obamacare - most insurance pulling out. complete failure.

SBA? thats a joke. have you applied for one? unless your minority with a third eye and a cleft foot and a 900 credit score you wont be approved.

Lets not start on Fannie Mae and Freddie MAC. complete mess. Part of the real estate bubble was due to them lowering the qualifications standards. another failure.
"If you think our economy is all about a "free market" you need to crack a few history books. Ours is one of the most subsidized and intertwined with government in the world." this IS the problem. less govt less problems.

sorry about the bold type. its stuck on bold.

boxerbay

You have no clue how it works. republicans cannot bring any changes. only the DOJ can and they are directed by the executive branch - Obama. hello?

Seems Republicans are more to blame for letting her get away with such 'crimes'.

TimToad

sounds like your upset someone was keen enough and did well within the laws of the land? perhaps you should be upset at the people that made those laws not the ones that abide by them.

You probably could go on all day, but none of it would be of a factual nature, so why waste your time?

randya

You have no clue how it works. republicans cannot bring any changes. only the DOJ can and they are directed by the executive branch - Obama. hello?

Of course, I understand how the bully pulpit works.

The Republicans have spent enough tax dollars investigating the Clintons without demonstrating such 'crimes' as you claim were actually crimes worth prosecuting.
THAT makes the 'failure' or conspiracy to get Hillary elected, is still Republican in nature.

TimToad

When BP spilled millions of gallons of oil in the Gulf of Mexico, who held them accountable and who worked on the cleanup? The guvmint.

When any natural disaster strikes anywhere in our country, who comes in and cleans up, provides emergency aid/loans, protection, services, etc.? The guvmint.

Who prosecutes folks like Wells Fargo or the other financial service players when they bilk customers of billions of dollars? The guvmint.

Who sends the troops into hostile parts of the world, so you and I can keep enjoying some of the lowest energy costs in the world? The guvmint.

Who inspects your food, so you and your family can be relatively assured that it won't kill you? The guvmint.

I could go on all day with this, but am afraid its falling on deaf ears.

If you think the housing collapse had something to do with lowered lending standards for not credit worthy homeowners instead of an entire financial sector taking unsustainable risks, you need to crack a few more books than your printer manual.

TimToad

Hmmm.... then how did a Republican controlled Congress try to impeach President Clinton?

How did a Democrat controlled congress actually impeach Nixon?

Facts and opinions are a funny thing when not used together to formulate a statement.

cajun312

Because the corruption goes all the way to the White House. Among the thousands of hillary emails released last Friday afternoon by the FBI, over 100 of them were between hillary and obama, who used a fake name to email her. He said he found out about her private server from the TV news. He lied. If the FBI had indicted hillary, obama would have been dragged into that.

So Loretta Lynch and James Comey did what they had to do to stay alive. But then Comey and Lynch have been friends and associated with the Clintons for decades so they might have been just fired and not killed.

If any of us had done what hillary did we would be in a federal prison, and a sailor who took classified photos inside the submarine he was stationed on is now in jail for mishandling classified documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.