• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price check

reQ

I will be making & installing a sign for a golf course, its 8x12 ft. Just wondering what would be the best price be? I will get the job anyways, but i don't want hosing people but also don't want to leave money on the table.
I have a number in my head, but want to see if i'm even close to what it should be.

1) 1/4 dibond - cut on CNC
2) Cast vinyl (nothing digitally printed)
3) removing old sign (which is old plywood)
4) Removing old 2x4 framing behind it
5) Manufacturing new steel frame
6) Install the frame & sign

attachment.php

Attachments

• fairview.jpg
    fairview.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 257

TXFB.INS

you are in Canda so our pricing will be a mute point, either way, a rough price would be about 2,000.00 for us.

how are you going to to the golf ball color gradients only using plotter film?

reQ

you are in Canda so our pricing will be a mute point, either way, a rough price would be about 2,000.00 for us.

how are you going to to the golf ball color gradients only using plotter film?

It will be grey & white, no gradients.

signguy 55

Off topic but those two main lines hurt my eyes. Maybe try upper and lowercase, at least work on the kerning some.
At least try all upper case but the first letters are a little taller than the rest of the line.
The whole sign is in all caps which I try to avoid. I would tweak it but that's just me.

You've got the job anyway.

reQ

Off topic but those two main lines hurt my eyes. Maybe try upper and lowercase, at least work on the kerning some.
At least try all upper case but the first letters are a little taller than the rest of the line.
The whole sign is in all caps which I try to avoid. I would tweak it but that's just me.

You've got the job anyway.

Customer was given 3 options, 1 of them was with upper + lower case letters, thats what THEY want. They are paying the bill, all i do is give them options & suggestions, but im not a deciding factor there

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I imagine the borders and stripes will also be vinyl ??

Also, with those trees right behind it, it's one-sided ??

Removal of frame and dispose of everything in a legal manner and fabricating a new frame and piecing 3 panels together, I think we'd be more around the $5k to $6k range.

Just did a 3' x 10' 2-sided sign with the brick pillars already in place and a frame sandwiched in the middle.... got around $5k Another sign was done at the same time. The other sign was 8' x 19' 2-sided.

fresh

probably $3500-$4500. I'd have to see how much effort it is to remove the old sign and get the bases prepped for the new framework.

rossmosh

"5) Manufacturing new steel frame"

I think this is way open to interpretation which will result in variations in pricing.

Are you going to make a frame so the sign looks thick or are you just making some framework so you have something to mount to/give rigidity?

Billct2

I agree with roshmoss, the frame could be anything from a couple pieces of angle straight across to a shaped and fitted frame.
That could cost more than the sign itself.

reQ

Frame would not be shown, but it pretty much would follow contour of the sign for better support. Frame to be welded using 1x2 steel. So no, its not going to be just 2 bars of steel behind it

reQ

On my paper i came to $3920 CAD. Was not sure if its to much or no. And sign is single sided.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, but the frame, if it's gonna be steel will most likely be powder coated, so for materials, fabrications and powder coating, maybe $1,200 or $1,400 with flanges welded on for placing into the pillars. The sign would be 3 panels, probably already black, so no painting needed. The vinyl and application along with the other stuff, about $2,000. Take down the crap there, prep the area, instal the new frame and attach sign panels another.... $1,000. Put your overhead and profit in there and according to how greedy ya are, about $5k to $6k should do it. Probably right around $5,800 plus permits.

reQ

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, but the frame, if it's gonna be steel will most likely be powder coated, so for materials, fabrications and powder coating, maybe $1,200 or $1,400 with flanges welded on for placing into the pillars. The sign would be 3 panels, probably already black, so no painting needed. The vinyl and application along with the other stuff, about $2,000. Take down the crap there, prep the area, instal the new frame and attach sign panels another.... $1,000. Put your overhead and profit in there and according to how greedy ya are, about $5k to $6k should do it. Probably right around $5,800 plus permits.
I priced the frame 1/2 of your price... probably not charging enough (i do cutting/welding etc all by myself) but i also included paint, not powder coating. I agree powder coating is better option. I know you told me before that you are usually a bit on higher end of pricing, but if i go up to $4500, is it still reasonable? (canadian dollars of course)
P.S. Our city bylaw does not require permit for it, because we are not installing a new structure. if we would be replacing pillars - then yes

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not talking my costs on things, but what I'd charge a normal customer, unless there are some extenuating circumstances involved with the job. If my supplies, labor cost and paint was $450, you bet I'd be around $1,200.

Again, you hafta get what you need to get to keep your doors open, but you are not taking advantage of anyone, if you make a healthy profit.

You're never gonna get really good prices, if you don't ask for them. Remember what Si Allen used to say..... you quote the price and if they don't bat an eyelash, you then say, plus installation...... :wink:

reQ

I'm not talking my costs on things, but what I'd charge a normal customer, unless there are some extenuating circumstances involved with the job. If my supplies, labor cost and paint was $450, you bet I'd be around $1,200.

Again, you hafta get what you need to get to keep your doors open, but you are not taking advantage of anyone, if you make a healthy profit.

You're never gonna get really good prices, if you don't ask for them. Remember what Si Allen used to say..... you quote the price and if they don't bat an eyelash, you then say, plus installation...... :wink:
I hear ya. No, i don't need to drop my pants at least til next year i have more than enough work. But if this job on the market is 5k and i am charging 4k, i am sort of droppin' my pants :) Thats why i created the topic to get some feedback. On other end, there are few people here that said they would be anywhere from 2k to 3.5k. So i have a decision to make :)

signgirl

I know your post was about price but if it was me I'd knock your copy down a bit and give that sign a little bit more background. It just seems to really crowd your borders.

TimToad

We'd probably be somewhere between $2,750 and $3,250 depending on the complexity of the framing, which we'd do out of aluminum square tube except for that top curved piece. Putting iron or steel next to or through aluminum should be avoided whenever possible. Hate to see that nice black background start deteriorating from corrosion due to dissimilar metals being in contact with each other.

Have you thought about how to seal the top and bottom edges of the Dibond to keep water from working its way into the corrugations?

I'll second the remarks on your layout. Doesn't feel comfortable or relaxed like I'd expect for a leisure related business. The proximity of all your elements to each other is too crowded and while not your fault, the name is one of the clumsiest I've ever seen. I particularly don't care for how you handled the bullet points. You have all that dead space up on each side of the golf ball, you could place "9 Holes" on the left and "Par 3" on the right and then run your remaining bullet points across the bottom which would open some negative space for giving your title and entire top panel a little breathing room.

In fact, if you're going through the trouble and expense of routing the top of the panels, why not have the contour at least help your spatial issues instead of exascerbate them.