• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

price help plz

dortonracing

I have to make 100, 1 inch tall x 3 inch wide Blk cut vinyl just letters 3 letters that will need weeded, be using orcal 651 what should a charge? $1 a peice, more/less. Plz help thank you.

Malkin

We have a price per letter, based on height.

That size order would probably warrant a 20% discount or so.

Typically price shoppers will find it too high compared to discount shops, or online, whereas our regulars, esp. corporate accounts, wouldn't bat an eye.

SignManiac

Damn I knew there was something off with those prices. Good catch house!

It's always the simple ones that get by you when you're trying to do too many things at once.

signguy 55

When I think of pricing help, I think of painting a concrete block wall 50' long x 20' high. I don't mind helping someone figure that out, not someone cutting 1" letters. My point was (and there is another post on this) back 20 years ago I didn't have a resource where, with one click of a mouse and a little typing, I could pick the brains of a thousand people in the sign business and expect an answer in less than a minute.

I learned from the school of hard knocks, and still learning. If the dude wants to charge a dollar apiece, charge a dadgum dollar apiece.

these threads are very dangerous in my eyes. it is important that everyone goes through the motions of determining their shop rate, there is no way that anyone can price these items for anyone ensuring that they are profitable. we simply do not have enough information.

so we can all rattle off what we would charge for any given project but that price very well could result in the shop that needs pricing information operating at a loss.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can either figure out your shop rate and go from there or you can ballpark it and see if you have money in your account at the end of the month. Have you considered licensing a pricing program like EstiMate or GraphiCalc?

To know the price to charge, you need to know:

• How much materials will be consumed.
  • How much time it will take.
  • How much markup you MUST make on materials.
  • What your hourly rate MUST be to pay your overhead, earn your living and have profits to reinvest for growth.
You need to get these ducks in a row before you quote your next job.

dortonracing

wasn't tryin to upset people just seeing what most would charge. And i have decided im going to become a Premium Subscriber soon when i get a few extra buck :) I haven't done many jobs that they order 100 or so at a time, and i dont want to over price to and not get it, but not unprice and kill myself. If you know what i mean. I figure i can get 30 of in a square foot, So i'll be using a little of 3ft2 figure probably close to 2 hours to weed and tape.

gnatt66

when the materials don't really figure into the equation as much like this order, i simply revert to a $75.00/hr survival rate. + materials.

Sign Works

wasn't tryin to upset people just seeing what most would charge. And i have decided im going to become a Premium Subscriber soon when i get a few extra buck :) I haven't done many jobs that they order 100 or so at a time, and i dont want to over price to and not get it, but not unprice and kill myself. If you know what i mean. I figure i can get 30 of in a square foot, So i'll be using a little of 3ft2 figure probably close to 2 hours to weed and tape.

I would think that with a decent cutter you should be able to cut, weed, tape and cut to individual decals in less than one half hour, (coffe break included).

Crappy cutter = crappy cuts

Crappy cuts = difficult time consuming costly weeding

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Then keep it simple and charge the guy for however long it takes you based on a plugged in shop rate. If you have to quote it before you do it, then charge him two hours.

grafixemporium

I bet your customer told you he could get them for .24 so you came down on your price eh? Smart move. I always take my customer's word on a competitor's price quote and come down on my price just to get the job. Hell, in some case I pay my customers to print for them.

CheapVehicleWrap

Are you telling me it took a month and 2 days to NOT get this $50 job which he found for $24? And you were hoping it was a $100 job? AND you never took me up on my offer to paypal you the whopping monthly subscription for the premium section? Wait, don't you have nearly 30k of equipment there? No offense, but you do have another job right?