• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print on MDO sealing question

parrott

If you don't have ample room..... paint it last thing of the day so nothing drops on your panel while working on other projects. It will be fine the next morning.

Not always true. It depends on the temperature and the humidity of the facility. I have left some panels coated over the weekend (in the summer) to come in Monday morning and they are still way too sticky to handle. Allow yourself ample drying time when using oil base paints.

JR's

Gino,
I was just curious what other substrates that shovel uses for digital prints.

And that's when I do my painting is the last thing of the day. And it's amazing to see how many bugs walked across the sign the next morning.

JR

Poconopete

Not always true. It depends on the temperature and the humidity of the facility. I have left some panels coated over the weekend (in the summer) to come in Monday morning and they are still way too sticky to handle. Allow yourself ample drying time when using oil base paints.
Add a little Japan Dryer and maybe hardener depending on the paint you are using.

Deaton Design

Ive used latex paints on mdo with vinyl lettering and had great success. I use a satin finishe paint, and the vinyl sticks great to it. Digital prints is something I have not had much experience with, so I used oil based and sealed the edges. It probably would have stuck just as well to the latex. Im not against other substrates for that matter either, but in my case, mdo has proven to be the best for me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I don't think adding additives to a paint that won't dry in less then 6 to 8 hours is your answer. Jap dryer or hardener is something you do to good paint. Any paint that won't dry after almost 72 hours like you mentioned is either contaminated or old. If paint has lost too many of the drying agents in it by opening the can and not properly sealing it after each use... the drying agents will slowly be used up and as you get closer to the bottom of a can... it won't dry any longer or in the designated time required. So, adding these various additives are like adding heat to a bagel you just microwaved for 25 minutes.... it ain't gonna get any better.

As for moisture or humidity.... they do play a part, but not to the extent of an entire weekend. Simple air flow is all that's needed. Air must move across the substrate to move the curing process along. Paint does not dry or evapoarate persay, but has a chemical reaction from the oils when they come in contact with oxygen. Too much humidity will retard that drying if there is absolutely no air flow during that entire time. If you are just allowing paint to air dry with no air flow..... you're the problem, not the humidity.

Get a fan on slow speed. :wink:

Flame

I'd do the same if it was hanging around the shop just to get rid of it.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I use to hate on MDO.. but after learning some tricks on sealing it... I really like it!

And... wait a sec, ain't you like just a designer dude at a shop that doesn't even do much vinyl? Why you bashing on something other shops use on a weekly basis bro?

Mark Your Space

I'd still like to hear what alternatives are being used in place of MDO.

I too used MDO, primed and laid the vinyl right down on it. So far so good. I'm not too concerned it won't last 3-5 years, even in the weather here in Chi town.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The second two are really not considered exterior substrates by many professionals. They might withstand many of the elements under certain circumstances, but on the whole..... they are not truly exterior durable. Just because something is not going to rot or decay quickly from elements... does not make it exterior grade substrates. Most of these products cannot withstand low temperatures for long periods of time... like three or four days. I hardly consider that outdoor durable.

There is a 4' x 4' double sided 3/4" sign down the street from us made from PVC. It is broken in half and splintered from all this cold we recently had. It had only been there since right before Thanksgiving.

By the way.... we didn't do it, but I'm gonna drop a card off and tell them that we can do a professional job if they'd like to chat about it.