• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on plain paper?

Colin

I have a job to do which requires a low-cost temporary window block-out, and the 4' x 16' band of paper would also need a logo printed on it, but not a big flood type of print, just a simple logo printed twice and the rest of the paper all blank.

I have a 48" roll of regular old white paper (not coated for printing) that I've used over the years for various things, but I'm wondering what I should expect if I attempt to print the logos on this with my Roland SP540i.

The print doesn't need to be high-quality, punchy colors, but I'm worried that the ink might bleed right through to the printer.

Any ideas?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'll ink will wick out a little and your print will looked a little washed out.

We do it all the time for shocards, paper and other porous substrates.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One other thing... what weight is your paper ??

If you're using like 20lb. pounce paper, nothing other than tempera will look good on that. We have butt-end rolls of off-set 80lb. to 110lb. in various colors. You can also get cheap stuff from your supplier for this kind of printing, but if the paper you already have... you can't literally see through it... you should be fine.

Try a little corner.

randya

Try running you temps high.
The solvent will naturally want to wick along the paper fibers.
Getting dry as quickly as possible will reduce that wicking.

Colin

Just did a small test print and it worked pretty good. No bleeding into the paper fibres, but one graphic part was quite saturated through on to the back side. Temp was 45 & 45 (it took a long time for the print-heater to get to 45, probably because the shop was only 18).

Thanks.