• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Program Crash

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Any thoughts on what's causing this?

This happens on my Dell OptiPlex from time to time. (XPsp2, Dual Core Processor, 2 GB Ram, 256MB Graphics Card).
The problem occasionally arises when I try to access files in certain folders. The program will open the folder, show the files, and start loading the program icons on the left side of the file name then a dialog box pops up saying the program has encountered a problem and will now close. This happens in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flexi when accessing the same folders.
Now if I go into Explorer and copy/paste the folder to a new location I can then access the files without a problem.
Attached is the error report.

Attachments

• ai.jpg
    ai.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 248
Be sure that you are accessing files from a local hard disk drive. Processing files in application across a local area network can sometimes (and only sometimes) cause random errors and crashes.

Bob

GK

are you trying to access these files across a network? the NTDLL.DLL file is the NT Layer Library and usually has to deal with networking and accessing remote files. Does this only happen in the one directory? if so check the folder properties and security on it as well.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'm not accessing the files across a network, The folders are not protected with security, Yes it happens with different directories.

D

DARLAK

your HD is about to fail.. back up every day and prepare to reinstall to a new HD

Techman

our HD is about to fail.. back up every day and prepare to reinstall to a new HD

Its an explorer problem. As we see whenever he access a file is when the problem arises. Its very difficult to get right to a problem over a BBS post.

First guess is that you have a AMD dual core.. YES?
Reason is that AMD processors have this error more often.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Its an explorer problem. As we see whenever he access a file is when the problem arises. Its very difficult to get right to a problem over a BBS post.

Hey Tech,
It's a Pentium processor not AMD.
The Explorer problem is interesting because sometime when I boot the computer in the morning I'll get a dialog box that says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and I have to restart.:cool:

D

DARLAK

Its an explorer problem.

explorer is another name for windows, which happens to have more files than all your other programs combined. when the HD is going, it usually is a windows files that fails first.

your HD is slowly going...

must be an AMD....LOL

geedub

you probably have bad sectors in your drive.

do this, go to my computer

right click your c: drive and go to properties

go to tools and click the one that says error checking.

it may find a few errors and correct them, and also ask for a boot error-check, that is really what you want to do because if the corrupt files are running, they won't be able to be copied somewhere else. it should find that it is dirty, requiring a run of chkdsk on the next boot. click ok, restart and a blue screen pops up and does chkdsk. Let it run through this completely, get back into windows and do the same thing over, it may not fix everything the first time, as it has done that for me. The same thing started happening with this PC but you can rewrite boot sectors to a different part of the disk. It may just have a part corrupted on the disk, and it may go bad soon, but you should probably backup REAL soon anyways.

Techman

your HD is slowly going...

HD's are always slowly going. If someone says it long enuf they will be 100% right.

explorer is another name for windows,
huh?

Anyway. make sure the registry is clean. And all your updates are crrent if you have been updating before. Once the registry clean then you have something to base your work upon. "CCleaner" crap cleaner is a good util to try. Clean all the temp folders on your machine. including those in the Documents and settings folders and windows and root drive. They will harbor problems too.

D

DARLAK

explorer is another name for windows,

huh?

explorer is a main part of windows.

yes, i guess you could say that your HD is always going, kinda like after today your one day closer to death.

but that's not what i meant, my guess is that the HD has bad sectors and will fail soon.

I think it was a better guess than 'it must be an AMD'.....

Techman

Mr Darlak.. You are obvioulsy better infomred than myself about windows terminology. I am just a mere technician trying to get myself educated on the innerworkings of the average users problems. This thread is about a problem that I rarely encounter so it is in my interest to persue it.

That is where my customers need more help and is where I do best. Hardware is a trivial matter. Any one can replace a hard drive.
So,
Please Dont pick and choose selected parts of my post and refer to them out of context. It does no good to help him to get his machine operating better in doing so.

I am trying to assist this person with his machine problem with very little to go on. So I posted this..

As you see in full context it is an asked and answered question suggesting that AMD has this problem a lot more. If it was an AMD there are several fixes already available and this person could be directed to such.

Since it is an INtel chip then more digging will be required. Is it a hard drive going BAd? Is it a sector going bad? who knows. Anything is possible. However I have a number of hard drives on my shelf all of which were diagnosed as "going bad" and all of which are actually just fine.

In fact I just repaired a system via the registry,, where it was insisted by two other shops the hard drive was going bad when actually it was a missing parameter in the VEN.
So, my persuing this problem and ignoring your suggestion that it is a bad hard drive is nothing personal. I am persuing this problem as a learning experience to further my skills. My intuition says to me this is a software problem.

Now back to the problem and the focus of this thread.
Can you move all the items in that folder to a new folder and access them ok from there? If so, copy all the files to a new folder. Then rename the old folder to "oldname" then rename the new folder the the original name.
there may be anerror in the folder links.

D

DARLAK

with ALL that being said....

you can fix the registry, you can even wipe the drive and reinstall, BUT i have been there and done that too many times...

I stand by my guess that it is the HD..

---------------------------------------
This is not my signature. There are many like it, but this is my real name.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Scanned the C drive this morning. I also downloaded the CCleaner, ran it, rebooted and still have the same problem.

But here a little more info:
I noticed that when opening that problematic folder the program freezes in the same spot. I went into explorer and cut that particular file out. The programs then opened that folder successfully. The file is just a 1.5meg jpg.

I then tried to open the file I moved and that also opened fine. Put the file back in the folder I removed it from and the program crashes again. It always crashes while loading the icons on the left side of the file name. (AI & PS) I'm going to try a few more things in the morning.

slappy

I'd do a system restore to the date you last used it and it worked correctly.... that's how i always seem to fix my problems

all programs / accessories / system tools / system restore

slappy

oh... i just did a system restore today back to june 30th earlier speaking of it... didn't lose anywork but regained some files i deleted. I use system restore any time i run into a problem with flexi, adobe, or freehand and it has always worked for me