• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protecting Printer from dust

B893P78

Hi all,

I have an Epson S40 in the basement of my home, and the basement is going to be remodeled. At the moment, it's partially finished, it's spotless clean with flooring, but it doesn't have any insulation, Drywalls, a ceiling, etc.
I have had a few contractors come and make a floor plan turning it into a design room, new walls, insulation, upgraded electrical, etc.

My worry is dust damage as I cannot remove the printer or laminator from the basement. It was a task getting them in there. What options do I have, the contractor suggested covering the printers and laminator in a massive zip lock bag-looking thing, and he stated he would build as much as he can outside the home to limit the amount of cutting done inside.

However, I would like to protect my investment as best I can.

Does anybody have any ideas I could add to the pile?

Last edited:

Billct2

Double bag it. So when the job is done the outside bag can be vacummed before it is stripped and then the inside bag won't have dust on it. If it's a "ziploc" I would then tape the seam. Also it wounldnt be unreasonable to build a plywood box around it to protect it from getting bumped, or at least some moving blankets

netsol

We have done this 100 times. I would cover it with 2 layers of painter's plastic & gaffer tape to the floor.
DONE
uncovered dust rises and settles from convection.
I don't think you need to make more of it than that

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most likely, it's gonna get moved around, so taping it to the floor is not a good idea. just get a two tarps and tape around the two machines real good.

netsol

we just made an opening for a 6 ft door fairly close to my roland and a laminator.
covered with painter's plastic and gaffer tape kept completely clean

signage

The better question is how long is the contractor going to be working on this remodel?

During this time is the printer going to be powered up?

Will you be checking it so it doesn't have any issues?

just some questions to be answered.

B893P78

They said 4 to 6 weeks to complete depending on the inspections. It will need to be moved around from one side of the room to the other as they build.

I am hoping to leave it powered on, the electrical upgrades should only take a 1 to 2 days. It will be off for that part.

netsol

Even 2 days should be fine. Perhaps a normal cleaning after all that
We have transported machines and had longer delays than that